Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Yeager Class in Dominion Wars game? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yeager Class in Dominion Wars game?
crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I am looking at the ship profiles page of the upcoming Dominion Wars game (a tactical starship simulation by Simon and Shuster.

The webpage is at:
http://www.simonsays.com/dominionwars_site/ShipProfiles.htm

If you look at the upper row where the Fed starships are, there are five designs, of which only two have been marked (Defiant and Steamrunner class). The other three are left on silhouette shadow. One can assume that the Class 3 Federation Starship is the Akira class and the Class 5 Federation Starship is the Galaxy class. But what is the Class 4 Fed Starship? It seemed to have an Intrepid type saucer but the pylons seems suggestively pointing downward. Is this the Intrepid, or quite possibly an Intrepid variant, most likely to be the Yeager class.

From the Starfleet Ship Designs web page, the text on the Yeager goes like this:

"A new class of ship has been seen in some recent episodes of Deep Space 9; this has been referred to by Paramount as the "Yeager-class." It is made up of an Intrepid-type saucer, a Maquis raider primary hull, and two engine nacelles...

The new Deep Space Nine Technical Manual has a diagram of this ship (described as simply an "Intrepid-class Starship Variant"). "

Given the DS9 background of the game, I am thinking that it may be the Yeager class starships.

------------------

IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a look, and IMO it's just the Intrepid. The nacelles don't appear to be "drooping" to me -- it's just a trick of the angle. Plus, the aft section is way too thin to be a Maquis raider-style hull design.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... while I'll grant that the silhouette is a little funny if it was an Intrepid, one would assume that the "tailfins" on the back of the C-type Raider would be visible from this angle, which they aren't...

------------------
"People have the right to discriminate based on religion."
-Omega, Jan 26
"There is no "seperation of church and state" in the Constitution"
-Omega, Jan 30
"A private business has the right to refuse service to any person or group, be they KKK, black, gay, or neo-nazi, regardless of reason."
-Omega, Feb 24

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, in this image:
http://www.simonsays.com/dominionwars_site/ShipScale.htm

The Intrepid-lookalike is called the "Achillies-class". New design!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Golly I should have checked that! I wonder what these Achilles ships would do. Post Intrepid technology!

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my God. . . they have the Steamrunner as a super-Defiant. . .

------------------
Ross: This is not good for my rage. *takes another pill*

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they show the Sabre as being half the size of the dDefiant. It'd be like a big Runabout.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not why it shown so small. It's because it fall in the same catagory. Look at the Keldon/Galor class. They are the same size, also in the game from what I've seen in screenshots.

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhh.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh thank goodness. I was afraid they were going to try to make the Keldon into a fighter of some kind...

Achilles class, huh? Sounds cool!

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wanna bet it has a weak spot in its aft shields or something?

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ponders dominion "war games"*

1 - Send out two task forces

2 - Tell both sides the other is defecting

3 - Note which side wins and why

4 - Incorporate the superior preferences into main fleet

5 - Make more Jem'Hadar and Vorta

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are truly evil for a turnip-lover, you know!

I wonder if Fed wargames are all like "Peak Performance": "I see Cmdr Smartaz survived the battle against the Nebula in that dinky Miranda of his. Now we can downgrade the fleet one step further and require every captain to be capable of the same. See to it that we transfer Smartaz to an Oberth for his next tournament. There could be major savings ahead - we have hundreds of those in storage after my predecessor fell for that stupid marketing trick."

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's something to consider - in thirty years of Star Trek, we've seen that Starfleet consistently wins engagements when equipped with inferior ships and technology. Where's the impetus to upgrade?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some cases, Starfleet just doesn't have the tech to match the other, I would think.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps