Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Dauntless Pics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Dauntless Pics
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like some new Dauntless pics have popped up over at www.starshipmodeler.com

------------------

sorry, forgot to add www in there.
[This message has been edited by Shipbuilder (edited March 28, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Shipbuilder (edited March 28, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or here. 8)

Interesting - actual Foundation Imaging shots. But it certainly brings home one fact - quite how alien this ship is when you really look at it. It's far too organic. I can't believe anyone would fall for this trick. It's still nice to see these shots, though - "Hope and Fear" remains perhaps my favourite Voyager ep.

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWEET! I've waited for quality views like that for a long time.

I dunno about the ship appearing too "alien" -- remember that it uses an entirely different propulsion system, which probably necessitates the different hull configuration. Remember that Voyager's had problems with making the quantum slipstream work. And consider that a starship's hull shape is designed to (in part) reflect methods of warp geometry or something like that.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And consider that a starship's hull shape is designed to (in part)reflect methods of warp geometry or something like that"

True...for WARP travel, but we can't really say that for slipstream. Although with a shape with that much fluidity in its design, you'd hope that SOMETHING was driving them towards that style.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That lump under the nose of the Dauntless sure looks like a quantum-torp launcher � la Sovereign, but it isn't visible from the forward view. Strange.

Could it be launching the goodies at a -10 degree angle, and then letting the torpedo pull itself up if the target is straight ahead? Pretty far-fetched...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never liked straight orthographic views of CGI models for a start, they always seem to highlight the ship's essential fake-ness. This is why I think the Dauntless looks so alien in these shots, whereas if you watch the ep or look at screengrabs it's not so obvious.

Who designed the Dauntless anyway? If we're going to be seeing a 25th or 26th-century starship in the next series, this could almost be a taste of what to expect, given the 29th-century Starfleet ships we've seen look nothing at all like 'current' designs. It would be cool if it featured some new propulsion system, though - getting bored of warp, only interesting thing been done with it in recent years was the way the E-E stretched as it warped out; the prospect of seeing a ship do the Quantum Slipstream-type stretch does cheer one up!

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the blue tunnel is nicer. And it would kill one of the biggest arguments the "Star Wars Only" tech-heads have had against Star Trek; "Hyperspace is faster! Nyaaah!"

------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**** Prepare for ludicrous speed!!!! ****

Spaceballs rulez!!!

Ah well, not really, no!

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Looking good, although Foundation didnt do much for lighting, they all look very flat.
My question is why dont they render to a higher res? Man if could build a cg model anywhere close to that quality i would be pumping out 2048x1530 renders like thre was no tomorrow.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX StudiosThe United Federation Uplink
------------------
I don't like Wesley Crusher.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinutiaeMan: That was also because Voyager had problems getting enough impulse speed to go into the slipstream.

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI, it was Rick Sternbach who originally designed the dauntless. His orignial sketches were then given to FI to create the model.
Lee
Member # 393

Hmm. Did he do the Relativity as well?

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think so.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Nim
Member # 205

I must say I think the Prometheus and Dauntless share some characteristics, what with the grey colour, the triangular "saucers" and what-have-you and whatnot.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Also the rifling that lines the saucer on both sides. Both have that.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps