Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Decks on the Enterprise-B (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Decks on the Enterprise-B
Face
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any one know how many decks does the Enterprise-B have?

------------------

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MSD that I have seems to show 28 plus some equipment (deflector) and shuttlebay space in the bottom of the engineering hull.

Looks about right, but I have no idea if it is official.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship is the same height as the E-A, so, if the decks are about the same size, it should have about the same number...

------------------
"I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminantly across race, class, and gender lines
and written in the blood that keeps the beast alive
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter.
and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
Like I do."
-Rage against the Machine

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
startrek.com has as a wallpapaer, the top view and a side cutaway with decks (MSD) that was the one at the back of the bridge in the movie, so it's official (but doesn't mean accurate). In Jackill's guide, I think he has a different amount of decks and mentions on the last page that the official one at the back of the bridge is wrong.

IP: Logged
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a three-sheet data readout of the Excelsior & Ent-B from Jackill's, and yes, he did rearrange the decks slightly. The way he did it, things lined up a little bit better using the ship's actual dimensions, (e.g., the decks weren't seven feet high and the torps didn't fire into the navigational sensor array). If you want the deck numbers and dimensions from those sheets, I can dig them out.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do know that deck fifteen was NOT at the level of the deflector chines. It's somewhere in the interconnecting dorsal...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From those technical readouts I was talking about:

There are 24 (and a half) decks overall.

9.5 decks in the saucer.
5.0 decks in the dorsal.
12.5 decks in the secondary hull.

Overall Height: 78.86m

And, the Author's Note:

The original cross section (located at the rear of the bridge on 1701B) is dramatically incorrect, based on the craft's established length of 476m a height of 74.93m was calculated.

The original cross section shows 36 decks which works out to 2.08m per deck which is just over 6 feet tall (the average ceiling space is 8 feet). 2.08 meters would not leave enough clearance for flooring, conduit, ceiling material, and structural support. I have based my design on a more accepted deck height of 2.75m which works out to 9 feet (8 feet for the ceiling and a foot for everything else).

I have tried to match the location of various components from the original design when sensible. Some items have been moved to more logical locations. The navigational deflector should have been drawn penetrating the additional cowling, and the intermix chamber does not line up with the deflection crystals. Also, the original forward torpedo bay would have fired straight into the navigational dome. But as always, feel free to believe the original layout is correct and disreagrd the new cross section.

(From Me: Don't ask why the two heights listed don't match. I have no idea.)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which original torpedo launchers are you talking about? The only ones I know of (to either side of the forward secondary hull -- seen firing in Star Trek VI) have an amply clear line of fire.

And still, every deck layout I've seen places deck fifteen much higher than it was said to be in Generations.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Daniel
Member # 453

I have no idea. I didn't write the thing, I'm just posting it. There are several flaws in his note, (including poor grammar in my copy). And yes, deck fifteen is a bit too high to be where the controls for the nav. deflector array are. Definitely not where the big hole was ripped in the hull.
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible to observe the deck heights of the Ent-B as the camera moves away from the hole, revealing the a few decks above and below the one Scotty and Harriman are standing on. This might allow us to canonically establish the ship's deck count.

Boris

------------------
"@%#@&@#The@#@truth$#$# @#@$@points@#@#to@#@$@# itself@#@$@#@$"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was wondering if anyone had any screen captures of that... If anyone does... post them! :-)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geocities.com/fitz8472/enterprise-b/enterprise-b2.htm

Pic #10

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn that mama looks good!!!
Especially the curve around the waist. One of those with ablative, quantums and regenerative shields, I'd take her before an akira or intrepid any day of the week and twice on turnips Eve.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, that pic leaves no room for any space between decks. No Jeffries Tube or anything. I would suggest that those levels we see aren't deck seperations, but rather, catwalks or something unique to that area of the ship. That compartment probably spanned several decks.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do we always need four feet of space between decks? It could be that in the rest of the ship, you've got 12-foot decks composed of an 8-foot walkspace and a 4-foot interdeck space, whereas here, on the outer rim, you simply have 11 feet of walkspace and one foot of interdeck space. Reason -- we use scaffolding instead of normal bulkheads, but the overall deck height doesn't change. Kinda like this:

=====
4-foot interdeck
=====
8-foot Walkspace

=====

as opposed to:

===== 1 foot interdeck
=====

11 foot walkspace

=====

Boris

------------------
"@%#@&@#The@#@truth$#$# @#@$@points@#@#to@#@$@# itself@#@$@#@$"

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited April 09, 2001).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps