Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Y'al might find this of some interest... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Y'al might find this of some interest...
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've no idea if this is related, but certain B5 artists did a ship recognition chart as a background poster for one of the B5 sets, and later made it available through the fan club. It merely featured top/side/front silhouettes and a few basic dimensions, which in theory is all that's necessary to "quickly distinguish friend from foe". Maybe this is where the idea comes from.

I suppose this book will actually show the CGI models in ortographic views alongside a few basic specs that would be known to animators, such as size, position of guns, relative speed, but not design history or anything irrelevant to the purpose of quick recognition. The sparsity of info will probably be more than compensated for by the sheer amount of models created since Foundation joined Voyager -- we're talking about the entire CGI Federation fleet, possibly the DS9 alien fleets, the Voyager ships of the week, etc. More pictures and solid facts than speculative info, which is more than right for my taste.

Boris

------------------
"@%#@&@#The@#@truth$#$# @#@$@points@#@#to@#@$@# itself@#@$@#@$"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simon and schuster site is largely defunct.

However, the editors (or at least, John Ordover and Marco Palmieri, I haven't seen Margaret Clark in awhile), as well as many of the writers can be found contributing to Psi Phi's book discussion board. www.psiphi.org

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All three have dedicated message boards on the Star Trek Forum on AOL. Margaret and Marco have one called "The Margaret and Marco Show!", that they respond to pretty well. Marco frequents a little more though, Margaret once or twice a month. John has his own board called "Ask John Ordover", though I rarely visit.

Margaret stated recently that the "Making of Books" just don't sell as well as they used to and so the bottom line is they are steering clear of that kind of publication. She hasn't mentioned this "Spotter's guide" by name that I know of, though she has been promising a nice Starship book for a while. I think it has gone through several incarnations though. This Winter 2001 release may not be the big artsy coffee table book but it may be a barebones version of the original goal. The calander did pretty well from what I understand, that alone seems like a reason to come out with a little something to pacify the fans.

------------------
Basil's Homeworld Dinosaurs,Elephants,Whales,Sea Vessels, Zeppelins,Starships... I just love big things that move

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know what'd be nice... a sequal to "The Art of Star Trek" that is a favourite book of mine, that one.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps