Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TMP Klingon Battlecruiser? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TMP Klingon Battlecruiser?
[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone tell me how well armed with disrupters the Klingon Battlecruisers seen in Star Trek the Motion Picture were? Why have these Battlecruisers stayed in service for so long?

JDW

------------------

IP: Logged
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you mean the ones later seen in ds9?
well we don't really know if they were even the same class as the katinga ones in TMP

bird of preys been in service with a multitude of classes since forever

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

TMP blueprints show the ship having eight sonic-disrupter mounts.

Two to either side of the forward command pod; four between the warp nacelles-two forward/two aft-underside of the engineering hull; two topside of the engineering hull to either side of the hanger bay.

------------------
Purrr...

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To count so far there are 12 Bird of Prey types from k-1 to K-12 which the Duras sisters had in Generations and of course that ship was also obsolete so I'm assuming that the current line would be about K-18 to K-20

I personaly like to believe that the K'Tinga class is the D-7 design and the TMP design. The D-7 class in TOS was perhaps the 7th type for the K'Tinga class. The one in TMP was maybe D-8 or D-9. The difference between a D-8 and a D-9 might not be apparent by Klingon designers might have restructured the interior slightly to mount bigger/smaller disruptors. My two cents...

Doesn't the DS9 TM say something like 6 disruptors and 2 torp. tubes?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kang said in the DS9 episode 'Once More Onto The Breach' that he worked on a D-5 class battlecruiser (I'm not quoting, I only know the D-5 classification for sure).

Now wasn't Kang also in some TOS episode or one of the movies??

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was in TOS, DS9 and VOY. I know the episode in Voyager was in Flashback. When the Excelsior was in a Nebula and Kang was in one of the battlecruisers hunting down the Excelsior.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The D-5 was a not-so-subtle reference to Kor's (it was Kor who made the ref, mind you) ship, the Klothos, in the TAS episode "The Time Trap."

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right... Kor... Sorry!

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonic disruptors? There's a neat trick.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

Sonic disruptors? There's a neat trick.
--------------------------------------------

Oh, I know. Just quoting what the blueprints say.

------------------
Purrr...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two points

1) Swooshing spaceships aside, I really can't see sonic disruptors being much use in a vaccum.

2)The Generations BoP was D-12, not K-12, implying (as I see it) that Starfleet Intelligence uses a D + a number system to refer to Klingon spacecraft, akin to the NATO Fulcrum/Foxbat/F-anything system for MiGs...

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How the hell does anything 'sonic' work in space?

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, there are two possibilities.

a) BS Rationalization: Transporters beam air into the space between the vessels, a reversed ramscoop pumping out hydrogen might also do the trick, or it can only fire while manuvering in a planet's atmosphere....or maybe in the 24th century there actually is air in outer space which explains why we can hear weapons fire, music, and nifty starship "whooshing" as stated before...*breath*

b) They fucked up.

------------------
"The Guide says that there is an art to flying...or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Life, the Universe and Everything

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the K'tingas from DS9 onwards (ignoring "The Emmisary") the same size as the TMP and STVI K'Tingas? Or is it like the different sized BOP's that we get?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 visuals would seem to place the battlecruisers in the roughly same size range - 200-250m or so. The DS9 TM offers much larger dimensions, but that's mainly because of an easily traceable error that didn't originate from the actual filmed material. So I'd say the ships are supposed to be of the same size throughout the shown history.

As for "sonic disruptors" - well, that's the type of weaponry the Eminians used against the orbiting Enterprise in "A Taste of Armageddon". The guns generated something like, what, thousands of decibels? With that much oomph (you couldn't create a thousand decibels if you detonated the entire nuclear arsenal of Earth next to your ear - the best mankind has done so far is about 300 dB, using an exotic gas-jet system), something is going to give... Why not the laws of physics?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps