Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Court Martial Starships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Court Martial Starships
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, there was/is a Chart in the background of Commodore Stone's office in Court Martial. Does anyone have a screen cap of this? It lists a number of Starships.

The Ship Kirk was on as and Ensign... ?The Republic? was it one of these ships. We know that its NCC was 13.. Does this mean it wasn't a Connie? They are still using the designation of "Vulcanis" and "Vulcanians" in this episode. Does this mean we could go by Matt Jefferies naming system of NCC numbers? That all Connies are 17..'s?

What where those bar graph lines after each starship representing?

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go by Matt's intention (at the time, the first two numbers signified hull design -- so all those 16XX registries were Baton Rouges). Okuda doesn't. Take your pick. As for the graph, we figure it's the mission status of the ships currently operating in SB 11's "jurisdiction". It almost certainly isn't construction or refit status, as a couple of bars are over 100%.

I think Timo's got some pretty clear statements to make regarding this bugger...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baton Rouge? Do you mean those ships from the Goldsteins/Sternbach Spaceflight Chronology?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We KNOW for a fact that all Constitutions are not 17**'s. I believe that the Constellation had an 11** registry number. There are, of course, various ways of explaining this away.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constellation was "1017". The reason is inattentive laziness on the part of the VFX house. The took an AMT model kit and decal sheet and used it/them to make the Constellation, but for whatever reason they didn't bother to inquire into any potential meaning of the Enterprise's registry number to guide them in creating a new one for the Constellation. Or else they DID make it "1710" and decided it looked too much like "1701" and swapped the first two numbers for the last two numbers. Lord knows why they didn't splurge for a second kit to get more decal fodder and make it "1711" or "1717" or "1707" or "1700" or like that.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The registies are-
NCC

FYI
The Making of Star Trek (1968)
USS Enterprise is a Starship Class and Enterprise Class ship.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Oo, I hate that book. "Stephen Whitfield" (actually not even PART of his real name in this case...) gathered memos and talked to Gene. Two unfortunatelies here...

Unfortunately... He didn't bother to track down Matt Jeffries and talk to him about the ship he'd designed, inside and out.

Unfortunately... He spoke almost entirely to Gene himself, a man who had the unfortunate tendancy to, when posed with a question to which he dind't know the answer, pull something out of his ass on the spot. That book is the source of most of the errors in Franz Joseph's works.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that TNG established the Enterprise as a Constitution-Class.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. And you can't call the refit Enterprise-class either, since STVI confirmed it to be Constitution-class.

It may have been Jeffries idea to have all the Constitutions be NCC-17xx, and you could argue that they were, but the Constellation would stand up and loudly shout out "OI! You're wrong!".

This isn't something like the Melbourne which can be easily explained away. The Constellation, with registy of NCC-1017, was shown extremely clearly on screen. And (anticipating the Yamoto arguement), has never been contradicted on screen.

So, what can we learn from this? That there was at least one Constitution whos registry began with something other than NCC-17xx, and that there will always be people who believe the Earth is flat, that bitter is better than larger, and that the Enterprise was a Starship/Enterprise-class starship.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the lettering team made a mistake. Remember the Brittain.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

NCC 1709, 75%
NCC 1831, 100%
NCC 1703, 50%
NCC 1672, 72%
NCC 1664, 76%
NCC 1697, 30%
NCC 1701, 83%
NCC 1718, 45%
NCC 1685, 21%
NCC 1700, 11%

As near as I can tell, anyway. The screencap isn't too great. I stepped through the actual frames of the DVD to come up w/ the numbers.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, this pretty well proves that the Intrepid was neither NCC-1631, nor NCC-1831. The 1631 wasn't even at the starbase, according to the chart, and the 1831 was already finished, meaning it wouldn't have to be postponed...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited April 16, 2001).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@TSN: Cool, can I use this pic on my homepage?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is speculation and based on memory.
When Commodore Stone decided to postpone work on the USS Intrepid, he was looking at the top of the chart. The registries he was looking at were NCC-1709 and NCC-1831. If the starship Intrepid is not NCC-1831, then she could have been NCC-1709.

In the end, the issues will never be solved. We don't have documented evidence on how the original producers understood the registry system. We don't know enough of the original classification system for starships or how many starship classes were in the whole starship family. And, finally, we don't have an understanding of the chart. Was the chart a random sorting of registries, or was there an order to the chart?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited April 17, 2001).]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this was for how much work was completed on each ship. Makes sense.

Now it also makes sense why Commodore Stone is in Red... this starbase seems to be a prominent Engineering station.

Do all those registries have to belong to connies?

I might have missed the dialogue? Are you assuming that the Intrepid was a connie from his dialogue!?! confuse here, can someone run me passed the scene dialogue again.

About the registries, the problem with the 17xx group of ships arise when we see the Constellation in season 2 saying its a 1017... so can't the constellation be in reality a 17xx ship, but for some sort of reason wanted to keep the 1017 registry? We've seen the E's do it - although maybe for ships that wanted to keep the registries before the E-A there was no letter suffix.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps