Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Court Martial Starships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Court Martial Starships
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, Kirk never says that the Republic was NCC-1371. He merely says "number 1371".

Boris

------------------
"@%#@&@#The@#@truth$#$# @#@$@points@#@#to@#@$@# itself@#@$@#@$"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just watched the scene again. It looks like Stone is looking lower down on the chart. Maybe 1672 or 1664...

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually I like to think that those ships with the 16xx range are actually refits to the Constitution class. If the Constitution class is a whole lot older than what we like to believe then the USS Constitution NCC-1700 is the prototype and everything in the 17xx range is the actual production run. I doubt that Starfleet would build ships with a lower number unless it was part of a older class.

Just for curiosty, is there evidence that these 16xx ships are Constitution class?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't really get ANY hints about ship classes in TOS. There's Kirk's "There's only twelve like it in the fleet", but apart from that, there's pretty much nothing on the various classes of ship Starfleet has. We get ship types, but not classes.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errors in Franz Joseph's work?
I know that engineering has some problems, but does anyone have a rundown of other errors?

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wrong shape of the bridge superstructure, wrong taper on the warp engine nacelles, wrong shape of the secondary hull, wrong angle on the primary hull rim, wrong interpretation of Main Engineering -- both size and placement, bad interpretation of what would have to be behind the place where the main sensor/deflector dish attaches to the secondary hull, massive redundancy between primary and secondary hull layouts.

But everything else is wonderful. He even got the bowling alley -- and in the right place. His research methods leave me shaking my head. Some of the obscure things he got right and some of the blatant things he got wrong...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A consideration-
One of the captains at the "Court Martial" is wearing science blue. This captain may command a research starship. This starship could be at the docking yards which are near to M-11 (Starbase 11) and is on the list.

Another consideration-
There is no evidence for all of these ships to be Connies. There is evidence to support the contention that the list may be listing ships of different starship classes. In the year of this episode, there were at least two starship classes in service-the Enterprise and the unnamed starship of "The Menagerie".

Another consideration-
There is no canonical evidence to support the registry theories that I am reading at this thread. Further, the only time the NCC-1700 is seen is in the episode "Datalore". This ship is seen from the top with the registry and no corresponding name. (She is a refit.) And since the diagram in "Space Seed" is not readable and hasn't been seen again, the NCC-1700 is a Constitution Class starship with no name. So, our list reads as follows-

NCC- USS Constitution
NCC- USS Defiant
NCC- USS Excalibur
NCC- USS Exeter
NCC- USS Farrugut (rf. below)
NCC- USS Hood
NCC- USS Intrepid (rf. below)
NCC- USS Lexingtion
NCC- USS Potemkin
NCC-1017 USS Constellation
NCC-1700
NCC-1701 USS Enterprise
NCC-1701-A USS Enterprise

This partial list supports the contention by some that the USS Constitution precedes the USS Constellation in the order of ships.

Another consideration-
The USS Intrepid's crew is numbered at 430. This is from "The Immunity Syndrome". How many classes of ships would have the same number of crew? I don't think very many, and this is why I list the USS Intrepid as Connie. Though there is a possibility that the ship was Connie, she may have been something else. The same could be said for the USS Farrugut which had about 400 crew members in the 2250's.

All of the above has been based on what is hearable and seeable in the episodes and films without the assistance of tech manuals, encyclopedias, and other wriiten material.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I forgot to mention... Yes, Fitz, go ahead and use it. Before I saw the episode, I'd always wished there were a screencap of that chart, but there wasn't. Now that I've made one, it'd be nice if everyone could see it... :-)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Connies used to only have 203 crewmembers... as per The Menagerie/The Cage. I wonder why that changed.

Was the Constellation definately a connie? '17' type... maybe it was a '10' type connie? i.e. 1701 and 1017

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 203 crew thing could be mission-specific. Perhaps the trip to Rigel had been a long one, and the crew had eaten each other en route? Or a bit more seriously, forks, perhaps crew size was limited and stores increased for long trips?

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Constellation wasn't a Constitution-class, it was doing a damn good impression.

Is it the Franz Joseph blueprints that put Engineering behind the Impulse engines, while everyone else puts them in the secondary hull? Or the other way around?

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we got to see some pretty good images of the half-destroyed Constellation. It's a Constitution. And I'm not sure if I buy into this "17" connie versus "10" connie. I mean, it is possible there were two construction contracts, but if we go by the theory that early registries are in (relatively) sequential order, the "10" connies would be much older than the "17" connies. Perhaps by decades. I don't think there would be such a big gap between "orders".
MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
strange, i always thought they were all 17xx, oh well..

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was indeed FJ who put Engineering (half-wide, at that -- and no second-floor office for Scotty) in front of the impulse engines.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

We already know that it isn't uncommon for registries to be totally non-indicative of when a ship was launched. So I don't see the problem w/ having Constitutions back to the ten-hundreds (or even nine-hundreds, counting the Eagle).

------------------
-Maynard James Keenan

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps