Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlebay on the Oberth class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shuttlebay on the Oberth class
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oberth is featured in the latest issue of ST:TM and the fold-out orthographic views point out a shuttlebay on the outer edge of the aft section of the primary hull. I have never seen any shuttle bays indicated on the Oberths (though I would assume they have them). One of the pictures in the magazine shows this area of the Oberth clearly and I do not see anything that looks like shuttle doors. Thoughts anyone?

------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't think that part of the hull had a cropss-section thick enough to justify a hangar. I always assumed that the hangar (if any) was in the lower engineering hull.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contary to what Hero Worship said, I don't think that IS a secondary hull. I think it makes more sense for that to be a sensor-module. I can't think of any reason why the saucer section would be set off from the engineering hull like that UNLESS the module was replaceable -- a sensor module that can be swapped out depending on the mission profile.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
I wouln't say that anyone who has ceased to post every time you rant has "realized that they couldn't win" Omega. It's more like "oh, great he comes Mr. conservative frontal lobotomy boy who only hits one note over and over and over and over..."
-Jay, July 15, 2000

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you scan and email them to me?????
Can someone????

Ritten

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still maintain that the underslung structure is the secondary hull. Do you know how much SPACE is in that thing? Loads! Well, this also depends on how long you think the Oberth-class is, but in any case, you can fit lots of stuff down there. Deflector dish, warp engineering, shuttlebay, sensor systems, etc.
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ritten, I tried to email them to you, but my system wouldn't recognize the link in your message. I did find they are the same scans that I found on the web a while back. I uploaded the side view to http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files with the location of the supposed shuttlebay pointed out.

------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, mine won't either.... since I added a subject tag to it.... I guess subject fillers are a no-no here....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Oberth bridge in there? Could we perchance get a scan?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I saw when I flipped through that magazine, the diagrams were chalk full of problems.

If there is a shuttle by there, it's a darn skinny one. The diagrams show a deflector in the secondary hull, but even their own CGI pic that they included at the front of the section omits it.

The AGT Ent D shows an "elevated command module" that, from what I can tell doesn't exist...sigh...I was disappointed.

But, yes, the artwork of the Grissom bridge was nice...

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The diagrams show a deflector in the secondary hull, but even their own CGI pic that they included at the front of the section omits it."

I don't have it right here in front of me, but I think that deflector pic is actually the aft view, which seems even more odd. Though we know that the Oberths don't have the normal type of deflector, it must be encased in the radome type structure at the front of the secondary hull?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it could be "under glass" or whatever. The problem is that the deflector is meant to sweep away matter from a ship's flight path. Putting behind a huge slab of matter doesn't make a whole ton of sense.

I always assumed the Oberth's deflector was in the forward saucer like the Constellation's.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The pullout claims the rear dish is merely for sensors and there is also a callout pointing to the interior of the secondary hull at the front for the location of the deflector.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the primary/secondary hulls and their role - how about the primary is the for driving the ship and the secondary is for the science stuff. Do you really need the two to meet frequently? Today's oceanographic ships have two completely seperate crews the ship drivers and the scientists, maybe it is just more distinct in ST.

Besides I though it had been determined a turbolift could fit in the struts.

------------------
TK

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The MSD seen in "Hero Worship" makes it pretty clear that the two halves communicate with each other and there are decks in both sections. But I like the two fairly seperate crews concept.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check my files but I would swear blind that in a DC Comics special, Saavik and Valeris land in an Oberth's shuttlebay right where you described it.
That may be the source of this particular nit

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps