Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlebay on the Oberth class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shuttlebay on the Oberth class
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't read the other replies yet, so don't shoot me for saying something that's already mentioned.

I thought the shuttlebay was in the front of the saucer (facing forward)...

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind how large a deflector is. The E-D's is at least 4-7 decks tall. The Defiant's is about 2-3 decks and so on. If the Oberth's deflector is in the forward part of the saucer then a very large portion of that part of the ship is taken up. Also keep in mind that you need a warp core and so that takes up space so in my opinion that throws the theory of the Oberth's secondary hull actually being unmanned away. The saucer is just too small to fit all the essentials inside it.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just noticed that a rear display on the bridge diagram shows a side and top view of a Constitution II class. Wonder how that got in there.

------------------
"The Internet. Is that thing still around?"
-Homer Simpson

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bridge diagram?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, the deflectors on shuttlecraft are tiny, so I would be willing to bet the ones on the Oberth are the same way.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About that Enterprise II model. If you look closely enough, all the readouts on the ST:II bridge that involve schematics of the refit-Enterprise show schematics of the Enterprise II model. i.e., the damage control console, the shield status monitor, etc. AND (talk about big-time continuity error) these were carried over onto the bridges of the Reliant, and I believe, the Oberth. You can clearly see schematics of a nonexistant secondary hull in some shots of those bridges.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. And the way they covered the Miranda-class in the previous issue, I wouldn't hold anything on the reliability of the information/drawings they have of the Oberth-class.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oberth in my opinion is just too small to fit all the essentials in side that small primary hull. Yeah I'm sure that somewhere along the line Starfleet could fit a pretty powerful but small deflector but I seriously doubt in the 23rd century.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for the Miranda showing some Enterprise-II model displays in ST:II is probably because the Reliant bridge WAS the Enterprise bridge, just re-dressed. I dunno about ST:III, but I'd guess the same thing applies to the Grissom (although the Excelsior looked to be a differernt set).

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not all deflectors have to be able to do all the stuff that the E-D's can. It's probably just alot smaller.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not from the Magazine, but a fan's made deckplans for the Oberth: http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/owen/oberth/oberth.htm

Not canon. Probably not perfect. But well worth a look for how the ship's interior might be arranged.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But canon, but darn groovy!!

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man alive, these plans are SO COOL! The bridge is pretty nifty, too... And the whole thing is more proof that Canadians kick ass at Starship stuff.

Cool, man! Cool!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how closely it matches the canon layout (which, unfortunately, we've never seen clearly enough)...?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

At least the Canadians are good at something...

Not bad, if the Oberth's deflector isn't as good as the average ship than why even have the Oberth?

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps