Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Grissom-"Field of Fire" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Grissom-"Field of Fire"
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

In the episode "Field of Fire", the USS Grissom is said to have 1250 crew. This has perplexed me. Why? The Excelsior Class starship has half that number of crew. I have heard it argued that the Grissom may have been carrying passengers, specifically troops, and that they may been added into the normal crew to get 1250. I believe this to be wrong. Here's my reasoning.

In the episode "Field of Fire", the insane Vulcan is said to have survived the destruction of the Grissom. He is said to have been aboard the ship 10 years and had developed friendships with other crew members. These statements alone don't support the existence of troops aboard the ship, rather they support the idea that the crew had numbered 1250 in 2365.

Further, in Star Trek, when a ship is identified as having a mixed complement, there is always mention of a mixed compliment. Good examples are "The Schizoid Man" and "Ethics". And in DS9, the episode "Siege of AR-558" with the USS Veracruz.

So, I think that the USS Grissom is not an Excelsior; rather, she may be a Galaxy or an Istanbul or a large starship of an unidentified class.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that number is quite high for the crew complement of an Excelsior class ship. Perhaps the Excelsior Grissom from TNG had been decommissioned and a newer ship had taken its place. Either that or the troops were packed in like sardines.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we never knew exactly how many people crewed a standard Excelsior... For all we know, it *did* take that many to operate one in wartime, to cover combat and operational losses, etc. My prefered explanation is that the Grissom had been designated a troop carrier or somethng, and thus was carrying hundreds of soldiers around as part of its complement.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the Vulcan was aboard the ship for ten years, then it definitely *HAS* to be the same ship from "The Most Toys."

So, the ship is either an Excelsior-class, or it's not. I think it's still an Excelsior because a ship's wartime crew would naturally include ground troops and extra crew for damage control, engineering, security, etc. Back in the TNG days, they always said that the Enterprise-D had a complement of 1,012 or thereabouts. But that includes the civilians, families, and researchers, not just the actual crew which runs the ship.

Therefore, I take it at face value that the Grissom is an Excelsior-class ship.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Field of Fire" ... ?

DS9 or VOY?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-S-9!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the DS9:TM:

Exelsior-class starships have a standard crew accomodation of 750; 130 visiting personnel; and a 9,800 person evacuation limit.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn! You beat me to it Daniel! Hehe!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That same book also lists the Miranda class as having a complement of 220 or something, whereas TNG examples have demonstrated less than that (Lantree - 26; Br!ttain - 34). While 220 may have been a good number for ships like the Reliant and the first Saratoga, in TNG I believe smaller compliments are the rule for the older ships, even in combat.

I once put forth the notion that the Excelsior *had* 750 people back in the day, but nowadays their compliment was reduced to a healthy 500 or so (using the comparison of 700 for Ambassadors, and 1000 for Galaxies - the Ambassador number comes from the trading cards of the early 90s). Upgrades to computers, life support and maintenance would allow for a reduction in crew and probably a corresponding increase in the size of their accomadations. This would still leave lots of space left over for other stuff, like troop barracks. So it wouldn't surprise me if the Grissom had 500 crew supporting 750 or so troops...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for 220-crewed Mirandas, actually. You simply can't go to battle with a crew that cannot even man all the bridge stations, much less perform major repairs under fire. The discrepancy in crew size between today's warships and equal-sized merchant vessels is just as pronounced as the 220 vs. 26 crew difference between DS9 TM and "Unnatural Selection".

And the average crew of a TNG starship at Wolf 359 was already set at 280 or so by the casualty figures given in "Drumhead" - and the ships seen (especially the Miarecki kitbashes) weren't all that much bigger than a Miranda on the average.

As for the Grissom's crew, I think 500 is a good running-crew size; the more modern Nebula class Hera was run by that number of Vulcans, wasn't she? (Or was it just 300?) A human crew, on an older ship, would have to be a bit larger even if the Excelsior is slightly less voluminous than a Nebula. And I wouldn't want an Excelsior to have a smaller crew than the 430-person Constitution in any circumstances, modernization or no modernization.

Having 750 of the 1250 crew be short-term visitors doesn't IMHO run against the remarks made in "Field of Fire". Sure, the insane killer had grieved the loss of close friends (such as a Vulcan can), but it wasn't stated that all the 1250 people belonged to that category.

Timo Saloniemi

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about Mr. Popularity.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a detectable ratio between a vessel-class' size (as expressed by mass) and her complement (24th century only)?

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I don't think such a ratio exists. For one, we have no mass measurements for any starships. How would you measure it? And wsecond, the number of crew staffing a starship fluctuates within the class.

It pains me to think of 36 people running a Miranda-class starship. To staff the bridge, engineering and sickbay alone would take about 36 people. Obviously, none of them got any sleep.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point.

But with automation ... I mean, c'mon, ain't ya'll ever heard of skeleton crews?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, well the Defiant had a crew of 40, so seeing as how the Miranda is slightly bigger, 220 seems about right (not including any short-term crew). But, to support the Lantree and Brittain crew sizes, the Lantree was acting as a cargo vessel and would therefore require less crew than normal. The Brittain . . . was on a deep-space survey mission - might not have needed everyone so they shipped them off for some R&R!

Ambassadors have a crew of 700? I'd read in a novel that it was 800 . . . oh well, yet another fact to deliberate about!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps