Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Super Space Battleship Akira (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Super Space Battleship Akira
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yakaspat The Trekker said:
Well said Joshua. Also, I happen to like all those "ugly" ships from FC. In fact, they were a breathe of fresh air from all the Galaxy-bash ships.

Well said, I loved seeing all the new ships in the trailers and seeing them in the movie.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix: "top-of-the-line-ships like the Nebula"

I hope you're joking. It's said to be even older than the Galaxy class, so it's most likely exceeding twenty years of service.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And the other "new" ships from First Contact were older still...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless registries aren't chronological.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Mike (the guy who assigns the smegging things) says are generally chronological. That is, registries are assigned when a ship is ordered, but it takes longer to build a Galaxy than an Oberth so the Oberth will see service sooner.

But you can generally take it as read that a ship with a registry of 72015 (Sutherland -- a Nebula) is newer than a ship with a registry of 52136 (Appalachia -- a Steamrunner).

And I admit the Thunderchild, Yeager, and Budapest had marginally higher registries than the lowest known Nebula, but they were still in the low 60000s...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only the show is canon, everything is open to interpretation, etc. etc.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

*deep breath*

[quietly] I know only the aired material is "canon". I know everything else is "pure conjecture". But I've been a Star Trek fan since the late-70s, and I have seen what a largely internally consistent fandom universe looks like. I know there are contradictions and errors, but those show up onscreen, too. Suffice it to say, including the stuff that wasn't onscreen added far more of benefit to the Trek universe than ignoring it does.

[still quietly] Now, granted all this is merely my own opinion, but I want to point out that I know the difference between "canon" and everthing else, and to my very-clear memory of all things with the Trek name on them to come along since 1970, to ignore all of that is to shoot yourself in the foot... repeatedly.

[yet still quietly] For reasons known only to him, Mike Okuda chose to arbitrarily assign dates to a number of things that fandom had almost completely agreed upon years before. He arbitrarily assigned new and confusing registry numbers to the rest of the Block I Constitutions that had been detailed for decades in fandom. He chose to amputate the novels and most (most, I say) of the Animated Series rather than do a bit of noodling to see if they might actually fit. Yes, that rankles me. No, I don't agree with his interpretation of Trek history. Yes, I know this doesn't matter much.

[no longer quietly] BUT FOR FUCK'S SAKE, PLEASE STOP BASHING ME OVER THE HEAD WITH THE "CANON" STICK!! I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE, AND I COULD GIVE A SHIT!! It won't make me stop in my attemps to remind/educate everyone on the "rest" of the Star Trek universe. So kindly stop trying to shove a set of blinders on my head.

[reasonably now] All of this "It's not canon *WHACK!*..." "That wasn't onscreen *WHACK!*..." dribble does not remove Ships of the Star Fleet or the Star Fleet Technical Manual or The Spaceflight Chronology or Starfleet Prototype or the Federation Reference Series from my bookshelf. These are creative and worthy additions to the Treknical universe, errors and all. I know not everyone has (or has access to) the same Treknical library I do. And I consider myself very fortunate to have acquired what I have mostly before the "canon-nazis" started getting their way at Paramount. But you don't give a gifted child a lobotomy just because not all the other kids are as smart as s/he is...

--Jonah

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Peregrinus ]

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, the Akira, Steamrunner, Saber, and Norway classes look newer then the galaxy, nebula, an so on. They have that certain newer feeling, they seem to be designed with a later style. They will always be newer ships to me, if not for the above reasons, then because they showed up later in the star trek universe.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that anything that has not been said on screen and that does not contradict that was on screen can be considered semi-cannon until its proven wrong by on screen evidence. That way it leaves a creative 'gap' for us fans to think otu for ourselves.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Werd.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

*sigh*

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I believe that anything that has not been said on screen and that does not contradict that was on screen can be considered semi-cannon until its proven wrong by on screen evidence. That way it leaves a creative 'gap' for us fans to think otu for ourselves.

That's the kind of self-righteous fuzzy logic that allows the FASA nerds to fly into a near-immolatory fit of indignant rage whenever their precious clich�d worldview is threatened. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Hope you're not calling me a FASA nerd... I did play the old FASA Trek RPG, but their approach to ships was worse even than Last Unicorn Games...

--Jonah

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon is canon you can't dipute canon unless canon contradicts canon, right? Then it is left to us to see whats wrong with those two cannopn items and arrange to make it logical, right?

I doubt anyone here actually thinks FASA is canon however some use their ideas to fill the 'gaps'. I use the 'Ships of the Fleet' to 'fill the gaps', so I guess I am a "self-righteous fuzzy logic" nerd right? Gee I thought all I was a devoted Trekkie/Trekker.

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: Matrix ]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I'm Grammar Dan! Here to help you with all your errors of a grammatical and spelling nature!

For all of you people who aren't sure how to spell it, or are too lazy to figure out how to spell it, or make chronic spelling mistakes, it is "canon" with one "n", not two.

"Canon" is "a body of rules, principles, etc.," that which you all have your shorts in an uproar about.

"Cannon" is that large projectile weapon, which in its heyday was deployed in a variety of situations.

There! My job here is done!

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps