Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek Voyager-- Current Year (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek Voyager-- Current Year
DeltaFlyer
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what the current year is in Star Trek? It has to be 2378, because the crew keep on mentioning their meeting for the first time in 2371. But, didn't "Unimatrix Zero" take place in late 2376?

------------------
Delta Flyer

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming to the close of 2377.

------------------
"I�ll never fall in the arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2377, actually.

D'oh! Beaten to the punch. Oh well.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every season of "Voyager" corresponds to the year 237#, where '#' is the season number.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Voyager started right after the end of the -60's, then?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps late 2360's, maybe 2270. Current is mostl likely to be 2377 maybe early 2378.

Its been 14 years since the first season of TNG so if we can get an acurrate date for the first season of TNG. Also everyone thinks that Voyager was lost after the last episode of TNG, but why can't we think that Voyager was lost during TNG? Is there any cannon evidence aside from books that doesn't support this?

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they're called stardates. As well as little things like insignias & pennant changes.

Voyager was lost in mid-2371. We're coming to the close of 2377. End of fact.

------------------
"I�ll never fall in the arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank God. I was afraid none of you owned Chronology.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Changing penent and com. badges don't mean anything. It could have been before TNG ended, its not like one day everyone decided to change the whole look of Starfleet. Such as at 1243 hours suddenyl everyone switched uniforms and com. badges. No, it is a subtle thing when ships come into spacedock when the news is finally brought to a planet based base. Stardates don;t mean anything either. In the first season of TNG we had Yar die and then come back to life to wave everyone good bye then disappeara according to stardates.

If stardates were linear yes, but sometimes they're not.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad stardates could be attributed to misstatements by the characters saying them. The current stardate system is meant to correspond to years. Remove the last three digits of the non-fractional part of the stardate and add what's left to 2323, and you have the year.

'Course, this is canonically contradicted in "Data's Day", but what I've described is apparently how they're intending it to be.

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the "Data's Day" thing can be very easily explained away by saying Data was referring to an earlier milestone date in the development of the Enterprise than the actual day of pomp and circumstance and champagne-bottle breaking referred to on the commisioning plaque. Like the first time it left spacedock, or the first time every single system was brought online at once. Didn't he use the term "operational days" or somesuch?

And I think a good rule of thumb is that Data doesn't make misstatements.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

I wonder if the stardates actually have any relevence on the stars. In Trekdom, Starfleet wouldn't call it stardates for nothing. Perhaps its related to the "Time Barrier" in some way. Lets say that with out breaking the Time Barrier, time speeds up considerably and then slows down. The E=MC2 thingy. I'm just wondering if those would be related somehow. Different time zones in the galaxy if you will.

Just wondering that's all.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I'm sure they needed a name for it, so they figured "starship", "stardate"...

And I know Data doesn't make misstatements. That's why I brought up the "Data's Day" thing, since that one couldn't be explained away the same way...

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPOILERS BELOW:
According to tonight's episode "Homestead", the exact date of the episode is April 5th, 2378. We know this because Neelix is having his "First Contact Day", and says it's the 315th anniversary of the April 5th, 2063 First Contact.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited May 09, 2001).]

Shik
Member # 343

Oh, fuck them for following "normal" time.

------------------
"I said 'You are, you are,
The only one who sees.'
I said, 'You are, you are'
The only strength I need.'"
---Kim Leaman, "Mary"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps