Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A smattering of tech observations from Cold Front (minor $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A smattering of tech observations from Cold Front (minor $)
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Cool episode. Yeah.

Anyway, a few things:

• Engineering is fairly well-established to be on C-deck at the back of the saucer, and the various parts of the warp core are established through dialogue to be what we thought they were.

• We see Enterprise dock with another decent-sized ship through the docking port on the side of the saucer. Nifty-doodle.

• I can't say I've noticed before that those two bay doors on the top of the saucer actually appear to have equivalent egress doors on the saucer underside. There's also "NX-01"s painted on the underside of the saucer in the same places the NCC-1701 had them (ie one on the starboard side facing aft and one on the port side facing forward).

• Silik crawls into the ship's guts somewhere on B-deck (on a schematic Tucker points somewhere a little aft of the bridge) en route to "Launch Bay 2." At this point in the episode, I got the impression they were referring to the doors I just mentioned that are port and starboard in the saucer. Anyway, he's confronted by Archer in a space somewhere near there, and then heads up through a hole and eventually into the control room of the launch bay. Said launch bay is of course the same set as the one we've seen every week, though there are no shuttlepods in place and instead we see pads 3 and 4 empty. Silik opens one of the two and jumps out (decompressing the room in the process), and the VFX sequence of him falling down to a waiting Suliban pod doesn't blatantly show which part of the ship he fell out of, although the implication is the main bay at the ass end of the saucer. My best attempt to figure this all out? Launch Bay 2 is in fact the space immediately ahead or behind of Launch Bay 1, with the former hosting Pads 3 and 4 and the latter hosting Pads 1 and 2. The two shuttlepods are normally kept in Launch Bay 1; Bay 2 is kept reserved for guest spacecraft. The problem is that the main shuttle parking space in that bay appears to be on E-deck, with the control room and gangways on D-deck. (And, one assumes, the Warp Core slightly forwards and a deck above that.) How Silik's B-deck access works with all this is kinda iffy. Additionally, the other saucer shuttlebays (if they are indeed that) aren't much better options. For starters, the set we saw had two doors in the floor (as opposed to one) and no large honking door in the ceiling. They'd theoretically be three decks high, encompassing C, D, and E decks, therefore also making them a wee problem for fitting with the dialogue and Trip's MSD-like schematic.

• Crewmen live in smallish cabins with no windows and share a bunk with a companion. Daniels' cabin is E14, presumably putting it on E-deck.

• There's a door or exit or something on the bridge on the starboard side near the front. It may well connect with a hallway running along (but outside) the starboard side of the bridge which terminates at those steps linking the bridge and the Ready Room (I thought I spotted such a passageway on one of those Entertainment Tonight-type videos some months ago)

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

• Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    The_Tom, I ripped B.E. for posting a thread about the ep when one already existed ... and indeed, while the points you bring up are very good (actually, mind-boggling), you couldn't have posted them in Mark's thread? Tsk.

I don't know if we can say for sure that *all* enlisted guys' quarters look like that. Certainly, the Master Chief of the ship probably has his own cabin. Depending on where they're located, some crew might also have small windows or what-not.

--------------------
    www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Two can play at the anal game, Jeff

Mark's is about the Time travel side of things. Mine is about the show's new revelations about the ship. So nyah.

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    You can play the anal game with yourself, The_Tom, but, uh, thanks anyway?

--------------------
    www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
    I'm a daddy now!
    Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I'm with Tom. We haven't even said time travel here ye-- crap.

-Anyway, I'm with you on all points. As this is essentially a bottle show, we end up seeing a lot more of the ship than we have to date, including the corridor set, the consoles outside of engineering, some sort of equipment room with an access port in the ceiling, the inside of the lauch bay control room, and the airlock/docking port set. This last one will likely see some use as alien ships come-a-docking.

-The corridor Reed exits the bridge has a matching one on the other side - we don't really know where it goes, but given how the bridge sits on the external shots we see, and where the ready room is, my guess is that the door Reed went through leads to a gangway down to B-Deck. the portside corridor probably does the same thing, or there might be room for the hallway to lead to an auxilliary entrance for the turboshaft, or to match up with wherever that door portside aft of the situation room goes.

-Did anyone notice the crewman rank thingies were back too? This time, it was that roundish thing with only one bar to its right. Methinks someone actually put thought into making the enlisteds rank system make sense for once.

-Also, the Pre-E has 50,000 movies in its database, though the best it could find for movie night was "Attack of the Killer Androids". Hm.

-Chef still kicks ass. Hello, children!

-Anyone notice that Archer spends practically no time in his chair? He's almost always walking around the bridge instead of commanding stuff from his appointed place.

-Re: Engineering location. Yes, it's most definitely in the saucer, though the way Tucker points it out it's squishes into the starbard side of the ship, which makes no sense.

-Hey, didn't they say there were several ships in the nebula? What happened to the rest of them? Could one of them have been with Daniels' plan, as Silik said?

Mark

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
    The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Two more things that I missed:

-The rifles are back, as mentioned in another thread somewhere. After checking my grab from "Fight or Flight" I think they're the same ones as before.

-Tucker mentioned something about the warp drive using "gravimetric distortion" ? Perhaps they're retconning Trek tech to match up with our current thinking of "real" warp drives as outlined by that Welsh guy whose name escapes me?

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------

colin
    Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    How I see the deck plan of the Enterprise NX-01:

Deck A-Bridge, Situation Room
    Deck B-Top deck of engineering
    Deck C-Main deck of engineering
    Deck D-Top deck of shuttlebay, Airlock (starboard)
    Deck E-Main deck of shuttlebay, Crew Quarters, Mess Hall

I have no trouble with the sequence of Silik. We weren't shown his progression from that room at J-38 to Launch Bay 2. He may have made several detours to get to that bay, detours we weren't shown for reasons of time compression.

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Well, it's not the fact that Silik could have made some more progress offscreen as the fact that he picked wiggling through a port on B deck to be the easiest way to get to a facility two and three decks down.

The docking port's on E deck, by the way.

--------------------

Timo
    Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    What's this J-38 thing, though? In theory, the ship could have ten decks, but the shuttlebay ought to be up from deck J, not down. Was a location specified as J-38, really? If so, then we can't assume E-14 necessarily means a cabin on E deck, either...

In any case, we seem to have learned more of the ship in this episode than in all the other post-pilot episodes put together. Heck, at this point of the respective first seasons, we knew practically nothing about the E-D or DS9 or Voyager's internal layout, let alone technical details of their inner workings.

Timo Saloniemi

The359
    The bitch is back
    Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Well, there is an observation window placed a deck below the drop bay, and a little forward. It is possible this is the room J-38.
    Aban Rune
    Former ascended being
    Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Just a note: when the shuttle pods have dropped from the ship in past episodes, you can clearly see four launch doors on the underside of the ship. This seems to match up very well with your description of the launch bay set (I haven't seen the ep yet) but I'm still a little puzzled by the fact that there were no pods in those slots. The pods have always dropped from the forward two launch doors indicating that that is where they are stored.

I dunno. I'll wait until I see it. Maybe that will clear my head.

--------------------
    "Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
    The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

I think it was established earlier that Enterprise had only two shuttles ...

... it could just be my imagination, tho

$$$ minor for upcoming new eps ... $$$

$

$

$

In a future episode, Enterprise returns to Jupiter station to outfit with new plasma weapons of some type. Maybe in addition to launching without all their armaments, they also launched without all their shuttles.

--------------------
    www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
    I'm a daddy now!
    Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I dunno - those empty bays have proven useful on at least two occasions, notably when they captured that Suliban cell ship. I think that they only have two pods, with possibly a third on standby in a machine shop or something.

I also think the grappler gadget is actually a module attached to the launch arm, that is locked on and deployed as necessary. It would make sense to keep at least one bay empty for visiting or additional unplanned craft.

And hey, who knows? One of the big tech complaints in Voyager is their unlimited shuttle count and lack of an explanation thereto - perhaps they're keeping that in mind. IIRC, the original Voyager bible stated that she had only two shuttles (Odd, since the smaller E-Nil supposedly had four). Then again, the shuttle complement or breakdown has never been explained in *any* canon evidence, so...

Mark

--------------------
    "This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
    The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MIB
    Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    How did Archer managed to survive the decompression? He should be dead right now.
    IP: Logged
    Malnurtured Snay
    Blogger
    Member # 411

He held his breath.

--------------------
    www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps