Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Any new theories on phasers? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Any new theories on phasers?
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
There's no proof that the Enterprise E has type "XII."

Beats me, it's just what I heard. Background info, apparently, as with most of the info on Sovies. Of course, I remember reading somewhere that the Ent-E had self-sealing hulls. Guess we know what those self-sealing stembolts are for now...

In any case, visually, I think the phasers on the Ent-E is of a different width as the Type-X. I'm not sure, though. Anyone like to compare?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The type XII stuff has shown up on the Scitech cutaway poster and in that new starship profile book. But it's not canon in the onscreen sense.

Also, it bugs me.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And very little bugs Sol, so there. 8)

Thanks for reminding me David, I'll try to make that addition as soon as I can.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
The type XII stuff has shown up on the Scitech cutaway poster and in that new starship profile book. But it's not canon in the onscreen sense.

Also, it bugs me.

It bugs me too, I'd prefer to have the Sovereign have type X, but alas, that designation isn't even canon for Galaxy class ships either, I don't think...

IP: Logged
Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:

The most advanced ship in Starfleet, specifically designed to fight the Borg, what do you expect? Besides, the Type-X is whimpy, compared to ships from other races. ~2GW total forward phaser power vs 20GW forward (pulse) disruptor of a Warbird?

Power output of one kind of weapon doesn't necessarily mean it is less effective than a totally different type of weapon with more power. Besides, the ~2 GW figure is based on the number of emitter segments in the Galaxy's upper array, while more recent advances may have made it possible to pack more segments together in a given space.

And I would imagine that a pulse weapon would be capable, by definition, of delivering more power in a single burst than a continuous beam weapon. Sure the Romulan disruptor can deliver 20 GW per pulse, but can it sustain a 20 GW beam?

cm^3

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, have never enjoyed the "Type XII" ("Type-12") designation for those emitters. I like the idea of XI/11's being planetary defense arrays, & we saw what a bitch it was to mount planetary arrays in a ship during DS9.

For my own usage, I've assumed the Sovereign & all other recent build & refits arrays to be an advanced Type X/10 form, that I call the X-A/10-A. Until shown/told otherwise, I'll continue to use that term of my own making.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
& we saw what a bitch it was to mount planetary arrays in a ship during DS9.

We did? When?

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:For my own usage, I've assumed the Sovereign & all other recent build & refits arrays to be an advanced Type X/10 form, that I call the X-A/10-A. Until shown/told otherwise, I'll continue to use that term of my own making.

Each to his own I guess
Ah! More smilies!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In DS9 they loaded a planet-mounted disruptor into the cargo bay of Gul Dukat's freighter Groumall to fire at an unsuspecting Klingon bird-of-prey. They had a lot of trouble with its power systems and when they fired it it knocked the ship sideways.

But all the Klingons died

Oh, so did the smileys.. how sad!!!

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a planetary gun? Oh . . . OK.

HEY! Don't kill the smilies! What did they do to you?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cubic Centimeter:
Besides, the ~2 GW figure is based on the number of emitter segments in the Galaxy's upper array, while more recent advances may have made it possible to pack more segments together in a given space.

No, the 2GW figure is based on the upper and lower array. The upper array consists of 200 segments for a total of 1.05GW. The lower array is quite a bit shorter than the upper array, so it's less. ~2GW is a generous estimate.

I doubt they'd shrink the current size of emitters, that'd be rather silly, but it might be what the Type-XII is. If anything, they can simply uprate the capacity or improve the design of the existing prefire chambers in the Type-X. That way, you'd just slot out the emitter segments for the newer ones on your next major layover, rather than having to worry about structural issues which might arise from switching between different emitter sizes.

--------------------

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:

No, the 2GW figure is based on the upper and lower array. The upper array consists of 200 segments for a total of 1.05GW. The lower array is quite a bit shorter than the upper array, so it's less. ~2GW is a generous estimate.

I doubt they'd shrink the current size of emitters, that'd be rather silly, but it might be what the Type-XII is. If anything, they can simply uprate the capacity or improve the design of the existing prefire chambers in the Type-X. That way, you'd just slot out the emitter segments for the newer ones on your next major layover, rather than having to worry about structural issues which might arise from switching between different emitter sizes.

Actually, it's 1.02 GW, but who's countin' But yes you're right, it is both arrays combined, I had a major brain dookie there

But why would shrinking the size be silly? If you say that a single type X segment takes up, say, 2 m^3 in 2363, then 10 years later some advances has allowed the same power handling and discharge capability in only 0.75 m^3, it is still a type X. I don't think it is that silly

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

Hey! I just posted a good outline of my phaser theory here just before the site went down for upgrade, and it isn't here now. Does this mean that it is lost? Dammit...

cm^3

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

Um, such a dramatic change in size would really be classified as a new type of phaser. Like I said, Type-XII looks smaller.

--------------------

Cubic Centimeter
Ex-Member

OK, I posted this before, but it was lost during a site upgrade... I guess. I haven't had time to write it again until today.

First, this theory makes no attempt at explaining why phasers emit light radially, anymore than I will attempt to expalin the whoooosh a ship makes when it flies by! I think this is a dramatic point rather than technical, because I believe we saw lasers radially shine in "Peak Performance". Besides, silent space ships firing invisible weapons would suck

Nadions are short-lived (microseconds) particles of a family known as hadronic bosons, or more commonly, mesons. Like all mesons, they are subject of the strong nuclear force, unlike other mesons, however, they can temporarily trap and store the binding energy between quarks in atomic nuclei. Quarks are bound into protons and neutrons by the strong force, transmitted by eight particles called gluons. Gluons serve to change the "color" of the quarks and keep them attracted to one another. Nadions disrupt the exchange of gluons between quarks, temporarily decoupling the binding energy.

In low-energy conditions, a nadion that absorbs a gluon will decay, with one of the decay products being a gluon, which takes the place of the absorbed gluon, thus restoring the binding energy. If the intial nadion energy is great enough, the trapped binding energy can escape upon nadion decay, causing a permanent loss in quark binding energy. The free energy manifests itself as neutral particles called chromions (named after the "color" of the strong force). These are the constituents of the modern phaser beam, with a few nadions thrown in to validate Janeway's comment on Voyager.

The fushigi-no-umi class of artificial crystals is excellent for producing chromions. The near perfect lattice structure of these crystals aid in causing the cascade nadion reaction (CNR), essential to the phaser effect. When nadions strike many atoms in the crystal in a row, the free binding energy does not escape, but is instead coupled with the energy released by neighboring atoms. This "force coupling" is known as the cascade nadion reaction, which travels along the lattice structure, building in magnitude until it reaches a point at which it must be released, call it the critical energy threshold (CET).

At discharge, a tight beam of chromions is released from the crystal surface and travels at c to the target, where they cause a release of energy from atomic nuclei similar to the nadion effect in the emitter crystal. The quarks in the target's nuclei tend to move apart due to the decoupling of the strong force by the chromion beam. These quickly recombine into random unstable mesons and baryons, which themselves decay into stable particles. A chain reaction is setup in the target as more chromions are released by the struck atoms, similar to excitation in a laser.

The degree of phaser effectiveness depends on atomic mass and density, evidenced by the fact that the "eating away effect " never spreads to the surrounding air (low density) or the ground (high atomic mass). The higher the atomic mass, the lower the chromion:gluon ratio.

The Phaser Effect

In ship mounted phaser strips, the force coupling CNR travels along the strip in two opposing directions. This helps to control beam emission direction. The energy carried by one CNR is equal to the CET minus the energy carried by the other CNR. When the two meet on the phaser strip, the combined energy is equal to the CET, and beam emission occurs. Emission angle is determined by the value and polarity of the electric field across the crystal; no field means beam emission at 90 degrees to the crystal surface.

Because chromions are generated from binding energy of atomic nuclei in the emitter crystal, the crystal actually loses mass, which eventually facilitates crystal replacement.

There was more detail in the original post, but I can't remember where I put some of the details. If there is anything I have failed to account for, let me know.

cm^3

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

Damn fine theory, almost as fine as my "bunnies are soft" theory. The major difference is that mine can be backed up. Still, that's some damn impressive technobabble.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps