Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Preview: Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengi (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview: Cardassians, Bajorans, Ferengi
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Question, Bernd: Are you going to make larger versions of the small ships in the database that we can link to, such as the Surak class, Klingon ship type from "Unexpected", the Conestoga, etc.?

The quality of the screen caps (at least of my copy) doesn't allow to see more details than there are in the small pics, and in the case of the "Unexpected" ship I just don't want to know how exactly it looks.

quote:
The first bajoran ship has been seen in at least two sizes... one the size of a runabout->Maquis Raider - i.e. the cock-pit was for 2-4 people... the second size was where it was big enough to house a proper bridge - the first episode of season 7 - had Kira on a Bajoran bridge.

You're right. Now I remember the smaller version too.

quote:
For the Ferengi - if you include DS9 as a Bajoran station then the Klingon ship that the Ferengi had in "Rascals" would also be a Ferengi ship.

Well, I would have to include Gul Dukat's BoP too (on the Cardassian page). I will think about that.

quote:
About the Wadi ship... Every time it made an appearance in seemingly Bajoran hands, it was hauling VIP passengers. Why not say it was the same ship every time? Perhaps Wadi vessels are eminently suited for VIP transport, at least in the price range Bajor could afford?

Maybe yes. I would have to check the episodes (most of which I don't seem to have on tape).

quote:
In the episode "The Nagus", the Nagus traveled to DS9 aboard the transport ship Sepulo. This ship is identified as Ferengi by the command personnel.

That's interesting. What did the ship look like?

quote:
Here are a couple of screenshots of the ECS Fortunate.

Thanks. These are a lot better than mine. Should be sufficient for a rough schematic.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd, now that you have modified the Ferengi and Cardassian shuttles a bit to create two distinct variants... What about (nudge nudge, wink wink) finally drawing that Klingon version of the Cardassian freighter I pointed out?

I mean, it IS distinct from the Cardassian version. New "nacelles", new stuff at the bow. And it's big enough to carry two or three of the Cardie versions in pieces in its holds!

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd,

If you have the episode "The Nagus", the Sepulo will be the ship seen docking with the station at the beginning of the episode.

In reference to those images of the ECS Fortunate, I find it strange that there are no markings. No name, no registry, nothing. In our merchant marines, ships have names painted on their sides (port, starboard) and aft. In the navy, ships don't have their names painted on. They have numbers painted on to tell a friendly who they are. This spaceship has neither system. What could be the reason for that, I wonder?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think the Nagus would travel with pompous glory, not sneak in aboard some foreign-looking freighter. He's not a Scrooge McDuck type who'd choose a cattle ship in order to save half a slip of latinum. So perhaps the ship on the pylon is just a random freighter after all, and the Ferengi vessel already left the station.

The Fortunate might be left undecorated in a brief and rare burst of logic. In space, visual identification probably doesn't play that much of a role - when you are at visual range, it's usually too late. Too late to turn away if this is a foe or an uninteresting neutral. Too late to turn towards the ship if this is your target - you had to do all the required turning in order to get to visual range already.

As for why Starfleet would later being painting names and numbers on its ships, well, the candle of logic must have burned out. At least alien races usually don't do anything that stupid.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Spike, great 'caps

This is what I have been missing, screenshots of the new ships from the new show posted here

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No name

Look at fortunate9.jpg. There you can see the name. And I made another screenshot where you can see the "TE" of "FORTUNATE".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Timo
Member # 245

These are way cool! And the ship looks even more like a submarine than the DY-100 did, what with those periscopes and all... Who designs these things? Eaves?

Timo Saloniemi

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season 1: Ricardo Delgado. Season 2-3: Jim Martin. Seasons 4-7: John Eaves.

These are the head illustrators for the respective seasons, however, Jim Martin did some stuff in season 1 as well (besides bringing coffee). He helped Rick Sternbach designed the runabouts, and also visualize station interiors with Delgado. Doug Drexler became more and more involved in the illustrating business as well in later seasons, designing things like the Chaffee and Defiant's interiors.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Timo was referring to the Fortunate.

Illustrators have been credited in an odd way on Enterprise. Most episodes, Drexler is credited as "Senior Illustrator," but in certain shows that credit's been removed and instead either John Eaves or David E. Duncan has been credited as the "production illustrator," implying as best I can make out that for that particular episode Drexler took time off and the new stuff was drawn by someone else on staff. According the earlier reports on startrek.com, Eaves was the senior illustrator and Drexler the junior, but that's apparently not the case now that the show's in production. Jim Martin was also meant to be on-staff, though we have yet to see any of his work.

Anyway, getting back to the question, Fortunate Son's credits (available at Psi Phi) say Eaves worked as that ep's production illustrator. I guess we can assume that the Fortunate and the very cool Nausicaan raiderships were his work.

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I mean, it IS distinct from the Cardassian version. New "nacelles", new stuff at the bow. And it's big enough to carry two or three of the Cardie versions in pieces in its holds!

You're right. It should be a different,, larger class.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could rewatch the opening scenes of "Return to Grace", where we can easily compare the freighter to the DS9 station. The results will be no more reliable than with BoP comparisons, but still worth a try.

I'm sure Eaves has nailed down the size, and it's probably the Encyclopedia's 170m.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said in previous email to you...

The assault vessel and sub-impulse raider are both Federation vessels. As mentioned in TNG "Preemptive Strike" where they are shown and specifically stated to be "Federation" by both Data and Riker.

I would assume that the Maquis or the Federation sold some of these to the Bajorans, or the Bajorans somehow got their hands on the vessels.

DS9 is a Nor Type station... ie Empok Nor and Terok Nor.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you have a look at the contextual nature of the lines in Preemptive Strike it's OK that the Bajoran ships in question were Bajoran. I'm a little rusty on the scene myself, but you can certainly assume the crew were generalizing based on the fact that the overwhelming majority of the ships mobbing Evek's ship were Federation derived smallcraft.

Besides, only one design was seen, the smaller Bajoran bird-raider variant with only two pairs of vertically-stacked windows, and not the subimpulse raider or the "Assault Vessel." (In other words, it was the design of the circle-controlled ships that shot down the subimpulse raider in the DS9 second season three-parter.)

IIRC, there's some question whether what the encyclopedia called an Assault Vessel is in fact the ship that was referred to as such in the three-parter.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Boris
Member # 713

Just remembered: crew sizes.

DS9: can house 7000 people total (according to Odo in "Sanctuary"). The number of people actually living there has grown hugely over the years, from only 300 in "Captive Pursuit" (season 1) to 2000 in "Civil Defense" (S3), to 1200 in just one section of the habitat ring ("Crossfire", S4), to more than 900 just from Starfleet, 48 of which are Vulcan ("Field of Fire", S7). The latter numbers are all from the scripts, haven't checked them, but they're irrelevant to the maximum capacity of any Nor-station, which should be 7000.

Galor: if that was the "Cardassian Warship" destroyed by the Phoenix in "The Wounded", then it has a crew of 600 according to the episode, an idea espoused by the Encyclopedia. Rick Sternbach would later forget about this number and reduce the crew to only 300 in online discussions and in the DS9TM.

Marauder: has a standard complement of 450 according to Data in ("Force of Nature").

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Timo
Member # 245

About the Ferengi freighter Sepulo: I felt an urge to check, and it's not seen in "The Nagus". There are no stock shots of starships, docked or otherwise, in that episode. The Sepulo is docked at "bay five", which I assume is on the outer ring because "bay four" was one of the major ring berths just before that, in "Move Along Home". In fact, "bay four" was one of the three berths in a spot where the vertical pylons meet the horizontal ring, so "five" probably is immediately next to this, and thus places no limitations on ship shape or size whatsoever. A Borg cube could dock there unhindered... (or at least hindering would be futile!)

So Ferengi freighters probably are big red-painted things with vaguely crablike shape, just like all Ferengi designs so far tend to be.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps