Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Preview: Space Stations (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview: Space Stations
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/starfleet_stations.htm

Here we go again.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be reading your passage wrong, Bernd, but in your annotations for the Regula type, you say that the station had been used as Starbase 375 before "Blaze of Glory." In actuallity, it hadn't, because "Blaze of Glory" comes before "A Time to Stand," when we first saw Starbase 375.
Other than that, it looks great.

--------------------
Meh

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like you are still traumatized by "Unexpected". The K-7 station is labeled "D-7 Type"

"Starship Spotter" gives a diameter of 4600 and a height of 6900-6950 (depends on commtower) meters for Spacedock.
It also gives 293.3 meters by 250.6 by 20 meters for MIDAS. And MIDAS stands for Mutara Inter-dimensional Deep-space-transponder Array (wow!).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its also supposed to be in the Mutara Sector...what is it with the last few Voyager seasons and the word Mutara?
Given that this is the second prorotype/research type installation know to been in this sector, it is possible that Mutara is still restricted sector (takes permits many...)

Also there has been a name given to at least one type 3 Drydock, Earth Station Mckinley...Also an Earth station Bobruisk was mentioned but it wasn't seen so it wasn't necessarily a drydock at all.

There have also been a number of unseen stations mentioned...Deep Space 3 & 4, Starbase Earhart (although this could have been a surface installation), Xendi Starbase 9 (the Stargazer was towed here so it had to have some orbital facilities), station Nigala IV and Station Salem One (possibly destroyed).
There may be more, but I don't remember.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In actuallity, it hadn't, because "Blaze of Glory" comes before "A Time to Stand," when we first saw Starbase 375.

Was it really not before season 6 that we saw the starbase?

quote:
Seems like you are still traumatized by "Unexpected". The K-7 station is labeled "D-7 Type"

Oops. Thanks, Harry Freu(n)d.

quote:
Also there has been a name given to at least one type 3 Drydock, Earth Station Mckinley...Also an Earth station Bobruisk was mentioned but it wasn't seen so it wasn't necessarily a drydock at all.

I mentioned McKinley only in the annotations because I think the station probably consists of more than this drydock. I assume that Bobruisk is on Earth's surface (at least the city Bobruisk is).

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a couple of missing stations here for you to add, Bernd:

- Calder II Science Station ("Gambit") - IIRC this is a Regula-type station

- Lantaru Sector Research Station ("The Omega Directive") - the display console briefly showed an image of the destroyed research station, and it was a Regula-type design

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, Bernd, we didn't see Starbase 375 before "A Time to Stand."

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand why you're assigning different sections to the Orbital Office Complex, the Regula One station, and Starbase 375 types. They're all just modifications af a universal, modular design.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You make mention of "Episolon IX." Oops.

Also, since you mention other comm arrays, don't forget the Gamma Quadarnt comm hub on the other side of the wormhole (deployed 2371, destroyed end of 2373) since it's a rescaled use of the Amargosa model.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMARGOSA

There is a size comparison sketch with the Ent-D in TNG Sketchbook. Also, we know the station has some weapons turrets underneath or on top (don't remember), as suggested by Eaves in the book.

ARGUS ARRAY

It's powered by eighteen fusion reactors, each reactor serving a single subspace antenna cluster. They're controlled by a single computer. This is from the dialogue in the script of "The Nth Degree". A plot point in the episode was that Barclay was able to simulatenously repair all eighteen by interfacing with the damaged Argus computer.

K-7

There were thirty decks to be searched according to the dialogue in "Trials and Tribble-ations", which is consistent with the overall height.

SPACEDOCK TYPE

Its dimensions are given as 15250' (4648m, height) and 12500' (3810m, width) in the Star Trek III ILM scale charts. Maybe you could mention this in an annotation.

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear Bernd, that isn't like you. You've used an inacurate diagram, the type 3 dock only had four arms on the sauser section end and the habitat dome didn't have those two connecting pieces going aft.
As for it being apart of a larger station, I think that given its size it easily qualifies as an independant station in its own right. Plus I'm sure that it was never indicated that there was more to Mckinley than what we saw.

MONKEY
There is no way that those later starbases are anywhere near as small as the original obital office.

As a side note it may be interesting to include the station depicted on the painting in Picards quarters, if memory serves, it bears a striking resemblance to the partical fountain and the Qualor II station.

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, Bernd:

Since it would appear to be ST canon (it shows up in the credits for 'Enterprise' - why not also include the soon-to-be-completed Int'l Space Station?

BTW: Hi to everybody - just got back from a long absence.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

soon to be completed? I thought that thing wasn't going to be ready before 2005 or thereabouts.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it depends upon how you define "completed". The way they keep cutting back, it may turn out that the way it is right now is going to be its final form...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the model in the credits includes modules that have already been canceled or indefinitely postponed. So it doesn't resemble what the real one will look like, in all likelyhood.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps