Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Preview: Space Stations (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Preview: Space Stations
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that within five years is soon, as far as massive space construction projects go.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Aside from the scaling problem I just can't believe that the Federation has such incredibly large stations in orbits around rather insignificant planets, and that neither the planets nor the stations (whose crew would most likely count in the millions) are ever mentioned again."

As insignificant as planets go, the system itself might be strategically important. As for the crazy size... What's a few million in the grand scheme of things? Would the TMP Spacedocks have enough room inside for a GCS to manuver?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Galaxy wouldn't even fit in the door. The Enterprise was about as wide as the door in Star Trek III.
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the second season of TNG, there was mention of a Star Station India.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to mention Star Station India... what makes a STAR station? Is it a space station that is orbiting a star, instead of in orbit around a planet?

Wouldn't DS9 also be considered a Starfleet Space Station? (as well as Bajoran owned and Cardassian in design)?

Wasn't there also a station in orbit around Venus?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a only erraforming mission going on on Venus, IIRC.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remembered the appearance of the SB375-type station, from before "A Time To Stand." We saw a station like that in "Blaze of Glory" when it served as Eddington's prison. The scale is uncertain, since there weren't any ships seen in the vicinity.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that DS9 is technically a starbase, as well as being a deep space station.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What type of Regula-1 type space station was the one seen in "Parallels" of Deep Space 5 wasn't it?

Was the 'particle fountain' type space station seen in the Qualor II yards the space station that the Zackdorn was living in? Would they really tow a space station to a junk yard?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on how big it is. I can easily see someone slapping a tractor beam onto one the size of the Regula station and towing it, or even just storing it inside some giant freighter. I don't recall if we got any sort of size comparison for the one at Qualor II, or whether it was lit up or just drifting.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical... I do something, but Bernd manages to do it better!

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Deep Space 5 was represented by Regula 1 in "Parallels."
There was also a Starbase 47, represented by the cryosatellite model. That was also used on Relay Station 47. Now, I know t producers like to use 47 a lot, but is it a little suspicious that Starbase 47 and Relay Station 47 are the same design?

--------------------
Meh

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forget... How were the four images on the screen in "Parallels" paired with the names? Did Worf point with a finger?

Couldn't it be that SB 47 was the starbase-shaped thingie, while the relay station was in fact the Deep Space Station? That way, there would be a more consistent style for starbases, while the Deep Space Stations 9 and 5 would both be based on "unexpected" hardware, perhaps setting another precedent?

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on Bernd's schematics and sizes, and some info from the Starship Spotter, I made this chart.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

"The studio model, without the lower cap, also appeared in TNG: "Unification" in the surplus depot at Qualor II, surprisingly before the episode "The Quality of Life". It seems the model had been built for a yet unknown purpose, and the Art Department didn't find it useful until the latter episode"

It could have been one of the Spacedock study models, of which a few were seen in "The Art of Star Trek".

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps