Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ju'day Class? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ju'day Class?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did this designation for Chakotay's raider originate? I thought it was this design that was established onscreen as Peregrine-class in "Heart of Stone" (DS9).

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chakotay-raider design was never seen with the Peregrine-class reference.. in fact there is no vessel associated with the name Peregrine-class.. by process of elimination, it was figured to either be the raider or the fighter, the only known maquis ships. But no design has been officially 'linked' to that name, except by hearsay

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The internet is a funny place.

On a completely coincidental note, this was posted today, and I believe it answers where this name might have come from.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And she's married to the man for whom (presumably) the USS Frederickson was named...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty.

I can't say I'd ever heard the term Ju'day until this thread, though.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To start the war up again, I'll just point out that the Monogram model of Chakotay's raider identifies it as a Peregrine Class. But sticking strictly with the show, the only time Peregrine Class was mentioned (Heart of Stone), we never actually saw the ship they were talking about.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it would be a bit more believable to have some smaller ship type be the Peregrine class, since the ship was supposedly flown by a single pilot in "Heart of Stone". She was landing-capable, too - but then again, all three popular Peregrine candidates (Chakotay's ship, Ro's smaller version of the same, Starfleet interceptor) appear to be landing-capable.

Frankly, I think a ship like Chakotay's should have outgunned the runabout of Odo and Kira, so having it turn and run should have been suspicious. Again, a smaller Peregrine would be preferable.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that the Peregrine was apparently operable by one person is the only thing that tends to make me believe Chakotay's was in fact not the Peregrine.

Though, the fact that the Maquis ship didn't fight the runabout doesn't necessarily mean anything. Remember, the Changeling wanted Kira and Odo to follow her to that moon. She didn't want to fight them.

Oh, and just out of curiosty, how do you see Chakotay's ship landing? The wings would definiately have to elevate. Is there any indication of landing gear on his ship?

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Nifty.

I can't say I'd ever heard the term Ju'day until this thread, though.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be well circulated info. Spikey's got it in his databse, and Bernd made a brief note of it in his Antares-class article, but aside from those I haven't seen it anywhere else. Apparently, it was in an issue of the Mag a while back. On some displays from VGR eps, er...something?

Anyone read the article?

-MMoM

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

Oh, you want details? In some Voyager episode there was a paper (?) schematic of the raider labeled "Ju'day Class." That's really about it; the article was just that short last-page blurb and it was about set dressing or something.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Probably the 7th season Voyager ep where

$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Tuvok gets brainwashed from the Alpha Quadrant and starts up the Maquis agian. That ep started out with a bunch of papers lying around with pics of the ships and everything on them.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just as a note, Sternbach has said that he figures the fighters we saw all over the Dominion war in DS9 were Peregrines. Personally, I don't like the idea of assigning the name to anything we've already seen, but that's the closest thing to official word that we have.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Probably the 7th season Voyager ep where

$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Tuvok gets brainwashed from the Alpha Quadrant and starts up the Maquis agian. That ep started out with a bunch of papers lying around with pics of the ships and everything on them.

Can anyone tell me the name of the ep? (For my shiplist)

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Nevermind, found it myself.

"Repression" (VGR)

-MMoM

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you mean 'Star Trek: Voyager - Episode #151 Repression'?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps