Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ju'day Class? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ju'day Class?
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You left out the Production Number...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you...you big...meanies!

*sob*

*sniff*

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, all those quoted episode numbers is what bothered me about "Galaxy Quest." We Don't Memorize Episode Numbers. There Are More Important Things To Memorize.

Another BTW, Ju'day sounds so fake and un-Starfleet. How about we say that they really meant Judea, indicating the survival of Judaism and/or Christianity in the Star Trek era. After all, that's what most viewers will assume if the name ever makes it into the dialogue (which is probably why it hasn't). It's only a wish...(I'm an atheist, BTW).

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.. how bout we spell it the way they said it and not make up extraneous bullshit? Honestly..

It sounds fine, considering that we take a human-centric view of Starfleet. Having a ship class named for a word from one of those other 150 planets doesnt seem too far fetched. (i.e. Surak-class).

And besides, for all we know that was its designation as a civilian vessel. We dont even know if there are any of those vessels in Starfleet. Only that the Maquis sometimes use stolen SF ships and that that was one of the ships the Maquis used.
So some Maquis using SF ships does not mean all Maquis ships are from SF. bad logic.

And, actually, I do memorize episode numbers (or i did anyway up until about the 3rd season of DS9, when i suppose my brain reached maximum capacity.) If someone brings up a TOS episode at work, i can tell them the number, and also which one will be on tomorrow. Ive known other people that remember numbers too, so i dont think Galaxy Quest was too far fetched. It actually was a quite frightening look into the geekier nether regions of my soul

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to take this a little further off topic, I don't memorize episode numbers, but I really enjoyed the bit in "Galaxy Quest" about the tech geeks. "It's only a TV show" was a real memorable sentence. Of course I can identify with those "geeks" a little bit.

Oh, and on a sidenote, did anyone notice the striking similarities in the NSEA Protector's labelling compared to that of Trek ships? I think they even took the same font as used on Trek.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes...Microgramma Bold Extended....

Everytime I see that font, I point out that it is the font used on TNG era SF vessels...I always get funny looks as though the people I'm with can't quite believe what I'm saying...

Anyway...yes, Federation ship doesn't necessarily mean Starfleet ship. So this Ju'day class that Chakotay used very well could have been a Federation courier of some sort that isn't in use in Starfleet. If that's the case, it would also suggest that the smaller design used by Ro is not a Starfleet design, either.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmm.. Microgramma Bold Extended.. yummy

I'm a graphics major and i eat fonts for breakfast.. thats one of my favorites.

My leas favorite: TNGMonitor. Only because it is not at all similar to TNG monitor fonts. The real font is called Swiss911.

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
The real font is called Swiss911.

Actually, the real font is (insert forgotten font name here) from some Adobe font pack. Swiss911 is a duplicate, but it's free.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
Member # 709

True Enough.. i probably have a printout about the font family that it came from, im just too lazy to look it up. For school ive even had to read about the history of microgramma BEFORE it was used in every sci-fi movie ever made.

Okuda just chose it because he imagined the future would require data readouts to be as thin as possible, for efficiency's sake.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is, MBE would be no good for small data readouts. It only looks good in all caps and that would be a nightmare to try and read in 10 point on a computer screen...

Eesh.

I'm doing alot of things right now with Atilla and Helvetica, believe it or not. I also seem to want to use Eastmarket and Neuropol on everything...wierd...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

capped
Member # 709

Sorry, i was referring to Swiss911 fonts when i was saying thin efficient readouts, MBE.

The problem is the freeware 911 font is really next to useless in point sizes less than 14, unless you are using a utility to soften it and render it as a graphic..

There are variants of Microgramma Condensed though.. i have a shareware version called Palindrome.. Its the font used in movie era displays where Extended wasnt appropriate

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know where to find all those "official" trek fonts for download? I mean the freeware ones of course. Or has anyone collected them?
Really, I should spend more time on the web to find that out myself. But where to find the time..?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I think www.acidfonts.com has a whole bunch of sci-fi fonts. If not, just do a search for "Star Trek Fonts" ... it shouldn't take you too long.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

capped
Member # 709

10F Font Archives -- Has a good set of the more real ST fonts and some other scifi too
Ralfs-World.de - �ber 1200 Fonts! -- German font site with lots of GOOD fonts!.. check out the famous fonts section for lots of genre and pop-cult goodies. Easy to navigate even if you dont speak German, but it helps.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps