Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlepod Ley? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Shuttlepod Ley?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This night, I was surfing through the web and I came upon a collection of notes. These notes pertain to conventions that occured between 1987 and 1995. Among these notes, I found a name- Ley. Ley is one of the small shuttlepods introduced in the second season. For those who attend conventions at a regular basis, have you heard of this name and what, if any, episode does this shuttlepod appear?

(Other interesting tidbits:
*the USS Horatio had a dedication plaque which shown the ship being built by Yoyodyne Propulsion and having the motto: "Damn the torpodoes, Full speed ahead!"
*the Romulan scout, seen in "The Defector", has a detachable command module which can act as a lifeboat
*the model in Picard's ready room is painted yellow. The color yellow supposedly can help the designers look for structural weakneses of a ship in warp flight tests.)

the Notes

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my thoughts:

The Ley was noted as appearing in pre-production notetaking. Probably never made it near the label maker or the camera, judging by the fact that weve seen quite a few shuttlepods and we know the naming and labeling for all of them

Possibly the Horatio plaque was a preproduction note by Okuda, who found he wouldnt have to do it because there was no scene on the horatio bridge (just like they decided not to show the ambassador design Probert made in prep for season 1).. unless Keel had his ships plaque in his ready room (or quarters) where it might have been mounted for his shipboard scenes

The Romulan ship can separate: nice for them. I personally dont give a rats ass.

The ship was painted yellow for warp stress tests: So long and thanks for all the bullshit! thanks for the half assed explanation, but next time paint the study-model right. cheesy explanations like this just make the original mistake seem dumber... just chalk it up to artistic license on the part of the 24th century modelmaker and the issues in bed.

good noght folks!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually that bit about the yellow paint being a feature of test ships could accout for that fact that the ship apparently has no name, because its still in the early testing phase and only has a registery number for the hull....of course it doesn't explain why someone would bother to build a model of a ship in this condition.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eh.. it could be that someone just wanted to match the brown and beige decor of the ready room.. im wondering how seriously we find ourselves taking set decorations like this

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not very seriously. If it didn't have a registry number I would ignore it completely.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

Yeah, i like registry numbers too, i gotta admit

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda like the ideas of testbeds and the like. Pretty neat stuff, IMHO.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that thing about the model being yellow before, it's nothing new. Christ, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with reasons why the ships on the Briefing Room were flat, beige, and cut in half; or gold in First Contact. Tell me, do you see a statue and say "That's not right, he's all grey, why isn't he pink?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention they don't even move. And have you seen that "David" one? The hands are way out of proportion. No continuity whatsoever.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, that bit about the yellow paint is also in the TNGTM.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

It does? where abouts?
Hold on a tick...

*Rumages through his bookshelf*

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Nevermind, I found it.
for those of you who didn't its on page 17:

.....Yellow warp-stress visibility hull coatings applied.

On a small sidenote, I've also discovered a possible explanation for why Voyagers Aerowing was never used, on the same page in the tech manual.

.....Captain's yacht test article docked, nonflight version.

I suppose its possible that Voyager recieved a noneflight Aerowing while in spacedock and they never got around to installing the real thing. Perhaps it was gpoing to be installed on Tuesday [Big Grin]

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the generally accepted explanation for the Aerowing, Reverend. Voyager's saucer basically has a giant plug to simulate the shuttle, but the real thing was never put in.

I don't buy the bit about the yellow paint. adding that much paint would add a bit of mass to that ship. I remember reading a bit about how the refit Ent-A was not painted white in order to save on the mass. Adding a whole other coat of paint, doesn't seem very bright. Unless they removed it again afterwards.

"Mr. Thomson, lock on to all the paint on that ship and beam it into space..."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I assumed that they meant the paint was on the models and used for simulations.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now this is weird. Last night "In Theory" (the episode before "Redemption") was aired on local TV. There's a bit towards the end of the episode where Picard is piloting a shuttlepod in front of the Ent-D. I'm not 100% sure but when he first hails the Ent it sounded like he said "shuttlepod Ley to Enterprise". The name is not given again. Maybe someone with the "In Theory" script, or even the ep on tape, can confirm this.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps