Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Borg cube volatility (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Borg cube volatility
Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm struck with DITL's ratios, though I think it isn't very "balanced" Ok:
Borg cube in FC stayed in red alert for 4 days. Assuming it needs some 200 Exawatts to power warp and shields... : It needs *at least* 500 thousands tons of antimatter(It needs to return)

So, if we'll go with mass of 100 millions tons... It's 1/200 of mass. Good. Now look at GCS: From 212 tons to 2000 tons. Far less ratio.

Ok, it doesn't matter much, but... If Cubes were really loaded with such hell load of fuel, they should've exploding as hell... We'we seen Galaxies exploding easily by damage to antimatter containment, and if Cube has a hell lot higher ratio... They should explode by just several torp hits into hull...

Damn, sorry for stupid topic, but it at least not nitpicking...

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Nevod ]

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What...the...bloody...hell?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nevod, some of us are having problems deciphering your typing. Where are you from? Knowing that may help us understand your grammatical patterns.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from Russia... So grammatic pattern can be almost random...

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can vouch for the randomness... I helped tutor a russian exchange student several years ago. Nevod: I can understand you just fine. Do ya have ICQ or MIRC?

Now as for the Exploding Borg Cubes:

I figure either A) They don't use antimatter B) the antimatter load is so distrubited that one hit won't vent all of it at once. C) They have some type of hyper advanced antimatter containment, or D) Prehaps they generate it as they need it.

Pick one and run with it! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Nevod
Member # 738

quote:
Originally posted by StyroFoam Man:
Do ya have ICQ or MIRC?

No [Frown]
quote:

Now as for the Exploding Borg Cubes:
I figure either A) They don't use antimatter

Well, the most plausible one... But what kind of power source?
quote:

B) the antimatter load is so distrubited that one hit won't vent all of it at once.

If it's distributed in 1- gram pellets, ok... But then, how they can use it?
quote:

C) They have some type of hyper advanced antimatter containment

And it can protect against antimatter explosions? Must be very massive.
quote:

D) Prehaps they generate it as they need it.

Then they need a HELLUVA lot of fusion fuel to generate antimatter...

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Nevod ]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that the last scheme would be pointless.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the Star Trek RPG that I play "our" Borg use a super-avanced form of quantum-flux power-tap, and a singularity-based fusion system for aux power.

It ain't cannon, but then again I play with a bunch of engineers so I had to come up with somthing!!! [Big Grin]

http://216.40.212.6/forum/

We're mostly harmless. No funny assholes (apart from me... [Big Grin] ) like that Major Whats-his-name...

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Nevod
Member # 738

Well, ZPE is right, but if it's hyper-advanced... Then you'll be able to screw planets with Borg Sphere [Razz]

Fusion singularity? Just singularity is good, but it still needs a lot of fuel to work..

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Sternbach used to say that Borg cubes tap directly into subspace for both power and propulsion. We know now that they use transwarp, but there's no reason they can't use a subspace power tap.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its still possible that they use subspace for normal warp and sublight speed....or is it?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...yes, of course?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no canon information about Borg cube's a)power source b)power requirements c)power capacity.
If DITL's figures are confusing you, I suggest you disregard them. They are speculation anyway.

Nobody here has heard much in the way of how many exawatts a Borg cube uses while at red alert for how long, mainly because thats fanfic-treknology. (Re:"What the bloody hell post").

Heres some helpful hints we can gain from paying attention to technical details that arent derived from fanboy-websites: Borg cubes have no detectable reactor system. Data says he can detect no specialized energy producing assemblies in 'Q-Who' i belive. BoBW expanded on this with the energy tap system, which reveals that glowing nodes are the source of there power. It is decentralized so that destroying many of them doesnt affect the Borg (but they do notice, as Shelby found out). According to Sternbach, the tech staff assumed these nodes tapped into supspace domain for power. They probably dont contain antimatter, or anything volatile, judging by the away teams continued existence following the destruction of several nodes in BOBW. (this might rule out singularities as well). In fact, no mention has ever been made of the Borg using antimatter i believe (im not sure though).

And the Borg definitely DO use subspace for normal warp speed. While we've seen them popping in and out of transwarp after Descents and VGR, all of the warp 9 chases in 'Q-Who' and 'BoBW' were in standard warp space (otherwise the enterprise would not have been able to follow them).

[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all of the species they have assimilated, I would think the Borg would have found a more efficient and powerful power source.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg are part organic, so maybe the collective assimilated a species who's technology is similar to Species 8472's organic tech.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps