Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Borg cube volatility (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Borg cube volatility
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
Rick Sternbach used to say that Borg cubes tap directly into subspace for both power and propulsion. We know now that they use transwarp, but there's no reason they can't use a subspace power tap.

Ooh! Ooh!

Given "Endgame" [VOY] we could hypothesize that each cube contains a micro-conduit back to a nearby Transwarp hub (or the Transwarp network or...) and gets all of the energy it needs from the power generation system of the network. The hub appeared to orbit a star so there would be plenty of free energy for the taking.

The power available to a cube would be limited only by the throughput of the micro-conduit. This would explain the enormous amount of energy available to a cube without requiring storage or generation on site.

The conduit could also double as a communications channel.

No evidence, of course. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly thats what those individual power nodes could be for.. each one was a power input through transwarp back to a star or other power source. Funneling a shipload of energy would be a little tough (and unBorglike, given their knack for noncentralized-ness).. but if each node provided 1/1,000,000th of the ships power, that would satisfy all of the facts we have at our disposal as a theory. How much energy or what it does is still up in the air. I like the idea of the energy being derived from a widespread source (like other domains of subspace) because the centralized-sun theory seems unBorglike too.. (but then again, by that logic, a queen seems too centralized too).. and if the hub was the source of the Borg's power, then 'Endgame'

$

$

$

might have meant the end of the Borg for good, even though we thought that way back when the queen died the first time in FC

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like my 'Matrix' theory: The Borg Cubes are powered by the drones.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lack of giant exercise wheels aboard Borg vessels would seem to discredit that.

Not to mention that the drones canonically feed off the ship's energy, not vice versa.

And not to mention that you wouldn't get enough electrical energy from a bunch of humanoids to cook a decent meal, much less warp space, blow big things up, or kill all humans.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps