Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 'Spacedocks' at Utopia Planitia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 'Spacedocks' at Utopia Planitia
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My question is: did we ever see the 'Spacedock' mushroom stations at UP on screen? They were on some CGI beauty shots of the Fleetyards (probably from one of the calenders?).

http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/upbases01.jpg
Seeing the high resolution, I doubt this is a screencap. But it shows a Spacedock model.

http://www.stguardian.to/starbase/up03.jpg
A similar shot, but this time obviously captured from TV. But here we see no Spacedocks.

Do you believe there are Spacedock-type stations at UP?
If they are there, then they probably would give UP some defense of its own.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first picture with the spacedock is from a calendar. It wasn't onscreen.
The second pic is from the VOY episode "Relativity".

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We wanted to use the big mushroom spacedock in "Relativity," especially since I thought the fans would get a kick out of it.

However, the producers felt that such an old installation would no longer be in use (despite the fact that we saw them on Next Gen) so they asked for a new design, which is what you saw on the show (provided by Doug Drexler).

When it came time for the calendar, I admit it - my stubborness got the better of me and I brought back the original spacedock :-)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, you were correct - the Enterprise D was seen as being BUILT inside a mushroom spacedock... see "Booby Trap". That's why I was a bit apprehensive seeing you have it being built in a Drydock. I liked those double ended mushrooms... I wish we could have seen more of them.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utopia Planitia is doutlessly an expansive facility, there is more than enough room for the old movie spacedock and the newer double ended mushrooms to be present, but not visible in the same shot.

As for the shot of the E-D in a drydock, that was a mistake for several reasons, it should have been in a Mckinley type dock, (as seen correctly in Reletivity). But since it was on a calander we can let it slide ;-)

I would be interested in seeing some of those UP elements upclose. Is that a new variant of dock attached to the Saber? did any of those starships have names or regs? if so what were they? I recall an excelsior being labled NCC-43111 was there a name for that one?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
As for the shot of the E-D in a drydock, that was a mistake for several reasons, it should have been in a Mckinley type dock, (as seen correctly in Reletivity). But since it was on a calander we can let it slide ;-)

Of course, that might not be the builddock, but perhaps the fitting-out dock. Or not even UP.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, given security reasons, the mushrooms would be necessary for some ships to preserve secrecy from Threat forces. In "Booby Trap" the Enterprise was still in the framework stage (if indeed that was the Enterprise in there). If it's prior to 2357, the launchdate of the USS Galaxy, I'd think everything Galaxy-related would be behind closed spacedoors regardless of how complete it was.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they built the framework in a mushroom-dock, and then did the paneling in a McKinley-dock or TMP dock (or vice versa)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNGTM shows a McKinley-style dock as being at least part of the assembly process.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Bernd's site, the Excelsior is the USS Frederickson that we later see in the Dominion War (it's the one being towed in the season opener). He lists it as NCC-42111, though.

EDIT: Look like Bernd made a typo. It is actually named the USS Fredrickson after one of the production people.

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: Ace ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I recall an excelsior being labled NCC-43111 was there a name for that one?

That was confirmed as being the NCC-42111 U.S.S. Fredrickson. I think it may have been Mojo himself who confirmed it, but it was somebody from FI, IIRC.

Mojo?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very surprised to hear that the producers nixed the Spacedock idea because the design was "too old" -- especially since DS9 was still using the old Mirandas and Excelsiors... which are arguably even older!

Not to mention that the Spacedock stations are absolutely huge, and not likely to be replaced very often...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody has ever accused Paramount executives of being consistant or logical.

quote:
He lists it as NCC-42111, though.
One didgit out! my memory isn't what it used to be (and it used to be really bad too).

Anyway, there should be no problem assuming that there is a Mushroom spacedock at UP, we just didn't see it.
Mojo, will this space dock be seen in "Unseen frontier"? if so then it might be a good oppertunity to show those enlarged doors mentioned in "Starship Spotter".
Remember, there are 4 doors into that thing, so only 1 or 2 of them need to be galaxy sized, while the other 2 can remain conni sized.

As for the E-D in Drydock, the problem is not if it should be in that dock for skeletal work and that one for hull plateing, the problem is that the drydock depicted is identical to the "Generations" version, so the E-D shouldn't be able to fit inside it!

quote:
I'm very surprised to hear that the producers nixed the Spacedock idea because the design was "too old" -- especially since DS9 was still using the old Mirandas and Excelsiors... which are arguably even older!

Not to mention that the Spacedock stations are absolutely huge, and not likely to be replaced very often...

Agreed. Something that big is made to last, possibly for several centuries, or even millenia, besides those double ended look just as old, if not older than good ole Spacedock. Anybody else see the similarities to K-7?

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if anything they reminded me a lot of some DS9 concept meshes seen in "The Making of DS9"... And we know other sketches have shown up in other episodes too (notably "Virtuoso").

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remind me again what happened in Virtuoso - was that a Voyager episode - it wasn't past Author, Author was it... that's what I'm up to.

The Room was the E-D's drafting room as seen in Booby Trap... I'm pretty sure Geordi looked out at the Enterprise - WTF would it NOT be the Enterprise!?! It was DEFINATELY a big-arsed Space-dock-mushroom.

Even if there are two big doors and two small doors to the Space-dock-mushroom the interior shots of the E-D in the S-D-M show there to be AMPLE space - thus depicting a big-arsed S-D-M for the 24th century.

About Mojo's Calendar pic and Relativity scene of UPshipyards... I agree about the drydocks/McKinley stations with the other types of ships in them - where they filled out the entire docks... the Voyager should NOT have been occupying the same space as a Galaxy, Excelsior-II, Connie etc. Actually Connie and Intrepid would fit - but the Sabres etc should not 'fill the space' and the E-D shouldn't be able to fit when the second type of DryDock from Generations just fit the E-B... as mentioned above. Two Sabres could possibly fit in one drydock. I would have like to have seen a different 'dock' for the smaller ships.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps