Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Photon effects (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Photon effects
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just about the different effects of photon torpedoes, I'm going on record to say I LOVE the 'shards of light' torpedoes from TOS movies and HATE the 'blobs' from FC and Insurrection.

About the 'shards of light versions' did we see any in Generations?? Did the Enterprise-D use Photons in that battle?? Or were the two ships too close together!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I believe the "shards" torpedo was indeed used by the E-D in "Generations". Well... It musta been atmospheric diffusion. Yeah, that's it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Just about the different effects of photon torpedoes, I'm going on record to say I LOVE the 'shards of light' torpedoes from TOS movies and HATE the 'blobs' from FC and Insurrection.

The best the torpedoes ever looked was in TMP, and that's mostly because they weren't animated, as they are everywhere else. A 20-watt laser was shot through a rotating crystal in a smoke room, hence all the shifting shafts of light. Someone needs to write a CGI renderer that simulates this. [Smile]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go take another look at the torpedos in Trek 6, they look VERY nice. Close to TMP style but a bit more refined, IMHO.
Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, what about the detonations? (All these explosions looks unrealistic, IMHO)

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a picture of the Ent-A firing a photorp in ST-VI.

I watched Generations again yesterday and IIRC the aft torp fired by the D did have the "shards of light" effect.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Go take another look at the torpedos in Trek 6, they look VERY nice. Close to TMP style but a bit more refined, IMHO.

Hate to disagree with ya, but the torps in ST6 just didn't look as powerful as the ones in TMP. IMHO it's the difference between using real light v. animation.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the TMP torpedoes were weedy blue things, it wasn't until TWOK that they became the beefy red ones we know and love...however I think the klingon torps in TMP were the original red shardy type.
The E-D definatly did fire the old kind of torpedo.
A technical explanation could do with how fast a torp is set to go, notice the "Shards of light" kind tend to travel reletivly slowly, while the blobs move quite fast.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would think that should be the other way 'round...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Thunderchild's photons in First Contact were relatively "shardy," too. Not quite Star Trek VI-shardy, but considerably more prickly and random-looking than what the E-D pumped out.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also really liked the look of standard Fed torpedos in FC - they are pretty much what I modeled mine after.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugger Mojo - that is one thing that pissed me off about that battle scene - were those orange (basically featureless) blobs...

As I said I loved the 'shards of light' photons (which I reckon aren't OLDER types just what we SHOULD have seen in TNG, except for the tight budget. - thus the return in Generations to the "SoL" type - cause they had more money.)

I loved how the 'shards' lit up everything as they "twirled" (can't think of a better word for what they did.) We had them in TMP, TFF and "Flashback" - those I know for sure.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I thought the TMP torpedoes were weedy blue things...

Only the Enterprise's torpedo was blue. I was referring to the red torpedoes fired by the Klingons at the start of the film.

--------------------

Mojo
Member # 536

I'll upload a picture of what my torpedo effect looks like... I dare anyone to tell me it's just blobby!

Dax, can you hear me? I want to display a new pic!!

Mojo

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you, Mojo. [Smile]

Here it is guys - Mojo's test photon torp.

I have one question - why green? It looks like something belonging to the Breen/Klingons/Romulans.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps