Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $leeping Dog$ Tech... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $leeping Dog$ Tech...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to do a full writeup, but work got in the way. Stoopid work.

-Anyway, the "new" Klingon ship is fairly cool. It's different on the inside, and much more detailed than any Klingon sets we've seen before. This Klingon "Raptor" class scout has a crew of 12. It looks higher-tech than the D-7, but that's really just par for the course.

-Klingons have photon torpedoes. The Pre-E doesn't. As a result, Reed is sulky through most of the epsiode. He's also sick. But hey, he gets a sauna scene with T'Pol and Hoshi later on, so I bet he's pretty happy by the end...

-T'Pol also states that Klingons don't have escape pods - they're dishonorable. Apparently they learned SOMETHING from aliens in a couple centuries...

-Interestingly enough, we see a CGI targ! So they didn't want to dress up a real life animal again? Odd. In any case, T'Pol said it was live food, and indeed there are several skinned targs hanging from the ceiling. Do Klingons eat targs? I thought they were exclusively pets.

-So... Starfleet has no holodecks, but they have a holographic target simulator they can set up in the armory, resulting in a phase pistol game sorta like the phaser range they had on the E-D.

-What's with Vaughn Armstrong? He's playing ANOTHER Klingon character here. Several zillion alien characters ain't good enough for him?

Mark

[ January 30, 2002, 18:59: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Targs are the Klingon equivalent of pigs? You keep some varieties as pets, and you keep some varieties as a late-night snack.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes sense that they would have a targeting practice area of some sort. The holographic thing really isn't that big of a deal, since it's nowhere along the lines of the complexity of the holodeck ... think of it this way, the most powerful modern computer you could buy playing "Pong" is like the Enterprise-D's holodeck displaying the target-zone.

Also, it takes two long stun blasts to put the Klingon woman down when she's running around the flight-deck. Nice continuity -- it seems that Klingon women have the same constitution of the men!

[ January 30, 2002, 17:24: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two shots from the phase pistol, plus she was still stirring as when went down... That'd put the stun setting of the phase pistol below a level 2 phaser setting, probably much closer to level one. A level 2 setting would have take her down, period, for about 5 minutes.

We get a pretty good look at the power cell inside the phase pistol. Anyone else thinks that the pinkish red light-up area looks like once of those tubes with the bubble in them you find in those construction ruler used to measure angles of surfaces?

They said something about the EM pistol having a "particle drift". Anyone got a theory about that?

Klingons have been eating Targs since TNG. People on Earth eats dogs and keep them as pets as well.

The Klingon ship apparently didn't use a single torpedoe tube with multi-shot capability. They mentioned "torpedoe ports", and the ability to fire all 6 torpedoes at once. So we're probably looking at multiple smaller launch devices. Or a single torpedoe tube with 6 loading ports.

The fact that they could recover their stolen shuttle faster than they can get a 2 men security team to the launch bay kinda worries me.

The gagh onboard the Klingon ship was not fresh.

The shuttlepod used "Duratanium" braces. Where's Duranium?

Archer finally figures out how to talk to a Klingon.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Riker eat some "heart of targ" during his pre-transfer feast in "A Matter of Honor"?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all miss the important thing...the Klingon control panel were buttons! [buttons like on a calculator] yay!

LOL

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! I thought you meant buttons "on a shirt" buttons. Yeesh, don't get me all worried like that!

Mark

--------------------

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*
I didn't get an oppotunity to see this episode, but I would like to convey my exciitement for what I am hearing of it.

As far as the level of detail and continuity is concerned for the whole of 'Enterprise,' it is a wonderful opportunity to go in depth with Klingon and perhaps later Romulan cultures. There is alot of potential, and alot of dangerous ground. To explore Klingons more in-depth in the new series, the writers may have to step on eps of past series'.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can we see a picture of this scout ship? Are caps posted somewhere?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did have some shots of it on my site. I'll upload 'em when I get home.. I'm at school right now [Frown]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back home and uploading
Go to http://fleetyard.virtualave.net/temp/sleepingdogs.html for shots of the promo.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The raptor looked like a cross between a Vor'cha and a Dominion battleship to me. Too bad we never saw it in open space, so we could see just what color it was painted. The technology inside also seemed to me to be no different than a 23rd or 24th century equivalent.

We can make some assumptions here. Judging from this episode and the two others which featured Klingons, it is apparent that TPTB have made the Klingons the supreme race in the 22nd century. Their technology is (ahem) centuries ahead of anyone else's, except for perhaps the Vulcans. If they've decided to go this route with the Klingons, then they'd better come up with a plausible reason why their tech remains stagnant into the next two hundred years, and why other, more primitive spacefaring races (i.e., humans) eventually end up getting the advantage over them. Of course, this very thing could happen because of the formation of the Federation, but we'll just have to wait & see...

Also, on the subject of tech, the UT: This is yet another instance of Berman not living up to his promise of seeing known tech in its "trial & error" stages. IMHO, the UT acts EXACTLY like the UT's of the 23rd & 24th century. And I could have sworn that there wasn't supposed to even be UT's in Enterprise. I thought that that was the whole reason why Hoshi Sato was on board. If they have UT's, and they work almost flawlessly, then why is Hoshi there?

Note: This is not an Enterprise-bashing post. I'm simply stating what I felt about what I saw.

[ January 31, 2002, 09:16: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Well, Hoshi is obviously there to push the button on the UT and make it go. Also, this episode establishes that for the most part, the UT won't translate writing, which is certainly something Hoshi's good at.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm...I wondered how long it would take them to get T'Pol back down to those barely-staying-up briefs she wore in the decon chamber.

Can't wait to see the episode.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Klingon woman also mentioned bird of preys, don't think she meant katinga's, maybe other raptors?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps