Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 2373: The Borg Battle at Sector 001 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 2373: The Borg Battle at Sector 001
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you think that piece of debris looks like it could have come from this study by John Goodson, as seen in the TNG Sketchbook?

That 'thing' in the upper Unknown pic looks like the stardrive of a Nebula, or else a Galaxy.. Could it be a separated Nebula!?

[ February 02, 2002, 01:08: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by targetemployee:
A really stupid question-
On the header to this topic, the poster listed a series of names and registries. What is the source of this list?

quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
...st a few notes. Most of the names are conjecture (obvious)...

[ February 02, 2002, 01:20: Message edited by: Proteus ]

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Don't you think that piece of debris looks like it could have come from this study by John Goodson, as seen in the TNG Sketchbook?

Extremely. Wow thats a good find. Wasn't this an original Enterprise-E design? was ever modeled?

I also thought It might of been a piece of the Endevor (see: TNG Movies Sketchbook) but I dont think that got past initial sketching.

In all truth, the peice of debris was probably just modeled as debris.

[ February 02, 2002, 01:27: Message edited by: Proteus ]

Wes
Member # 212

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be good to get some of these registries straight. The sequence was shot in 1996, after DS9's season four wrapped, and possibly after preproduction on season five had started. So, isn't the Nebula likely to be the "Leeds" that is usually docked on the upper pylon of DS9? What was the Miranda last labeled as (IIRC, it also was seen docked at the end of "Way of the Warrior").

It's possible that the models were relabeled, but until we know for certain, why not pick the most likely names for them?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably whatever it was labled in "Generations" for the final shot....actually, now that I think about it, didn't they create CG models of those 3 ships for the jump into warp? someone look at the footage and see if the jump looks like the old fashioned stretch or the newer CG warp.
My point is, if they did make CGI models for these three then it might explaine their presence in First Contact amoungst the new CG ships.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to agree with Phelps on the Nebbie. The model (if indeed it's the same model) was labeled as Leeds after it was labeled as Farragut.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ships at the end of Generations were physical models. The Nebula was labeled as the Farragut (NCC-60597), the Oberth as the Valiant (NCC-20000), and the Miranda is at this point unknown. (Though a theory holds that it may have been the Bozeman [NCC-1941].)

The physical Nebula model was last labeled as the Leeds (NCC-70352) but I think the ship that it's supposed to represent in the film is the Lexington (NCC-61832). It probably doesn't represent the Endeavour (NCC-71805), as there were plans to create a new ship named that for this movie.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that Miranda was never relabeled, it may still say "USS Saratoga NCC-31911", it's previous appearance. (With the rollbar saying, "USS Brittain, NCC-21166".) And that theory about it representing the Bozeman is your theory alone, Mim.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's not mine, it came from several other people. But I find it very interesting, and maybe even probable.

But you are most correct in that we've seen no verification of it in any solid way.

However, in Generations, it is definitely a 4-digit registry on the Miranda, so it cannot be the Saratoga's or the Brattain's. It's impossible to tell even remotely what it is, but it does appear to be an NCC-xxxx.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only known four-digit number that would fit is that of the Bozeman, which is interesting since the ship was mentioned both in "Generations" and here in "First Contact". Okuda never bothered to make up a separate registry for the new Bozeman in the Encyclopedia, so it's quite likely that this indeed was that same Bozeman.

I don't see a problem with the ship being refitted into a standard Miranda. Back in the 23rd century, they might've been unable to perform such a refit, and as FrankG's SWDAO points out, it's probably a relatively new hull -- the time loop kept it in its 2278 condition, and we have no evidence that the Mirandas are refits of forty-year-old starships like the Constitutions were.

I'd make the Bozeman into a Miranda-class rather than a Soyuz, keep the Nebula-class Lexington, and use any other reasonable name for that other Miranda. The Majestic seems fine -- after all, it always seems to pop up when needed [Wink] , so why not here as well?

[ February 03, 2002, 04:49: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I�m curious, in this reply:
quote:
It's an unknown class, we said. Hang on, I'll scan it.

Unknowns

Mark

It�s two great pics, and the lower one is from the beer label, but the top one, with two ships? What is that, and where in the borg battle can you see those two ships?? I know, stupid question, but I really can�t see it anywhere [Confused]

[ February 03, 2002, 05:29: Message edited by: pIn'a' Sov ]

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lower one is from the 2nd battle of chintoka (sp?).

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
Nuts... now I have to disagree. I dont know about R looking like a norway, i think it looks a lot more like an intrepid. the norway isnt 'domed' like that..

K was blown up by the explosion, i belive.

As for the debris. Its clearly not saber-class.

Yeah it does, but I just seem to recall the original sequence was that "N" the Norway swinging around from behind the cube to the front to get tractored.

At least thats how I remembered it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Although it'd be even better, young Fabrux, if you were to volunteer to do the odd diag for UP3. . . B(

Well, I'm only good at tracing diagrams. I'm not good at all at drawing freehand. [Frown]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps