Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Niagara-class saucer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Niagara-class saucer
Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been poring over that image of Greg Jein holding the Niagara-class model, and the question I have is, what shape is the saucer? Is it circular (probably an Ambassador-class variant) or oval (probably a Galaxy-class variant)? Or, is it a custom saucer?

The saucer rim gives hints of the Galaxy-class with what appears to be a deflector/forcefield/whatever trench running the perimeter, but I'm not sure. The size when compared to the nacelles makes me think Ambassador. Is there anything visible that definitely suggests the saucer's shape?

Any ideas?

Robert

--------------------
Everything in life I ever needed to know I learned from The Simpsons.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's the top view from the actual episode, and it shows a nearly circular saucer. Either Greg Jein was making use of the molds of the Ambassador class, or then it's a completely customized thing, a truck hubcap, or a satellite dish...

It's not a simple "two Ambassador tops glued together", since the edge of the saucer doesn't have the characteristic Ambassador/Excelsior canting. But if could be two modified Ambassador top molds glued together.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bridge module (I'm working from memory here) is an Ambassador's but flipped fore to aft so that the set of vertical windows are facing forward. This would actually most likely be decks one and two, but you know what I mean...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd's page on the subject tells all:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/niagara.htm

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Niagara is an ugly duckling. Type of ship: I'd love if we could go ahead and theorize this is a dreadnought.

[ February 07, 2002, 10:36: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
The Niagara is an ugly duckling.

I think it's purdy... [Razz]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A ship only a monkey could love... [Razz]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Constellation of One
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Constellation of One     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Timo. I pretty much had the same idea. Hopefully, the schematics in the upcoming Star Trek: The Magazine will answer some questions. I mean, ST:TM can't be too bad, right? Right? Um, they wouldn't just reprint the Fact Files image, would they? NOOO!!!!!!

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't someone say that they did?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did.

I think Constellation of One was being sarcastic with that post...

Constellation of One
Member # 332

Yup, oh Mighty Monkey, I was.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for that dreadnought thing, I suppose one could define "dreadnought = three-nacelled starship". But that sounds a bit too simplistic to me - especially as there is no clear indication that one-, two- or four-nacelled ships would all be of a common type, or perform a common mission.

I'd rather say "three-nacelled starship = good configuration for a dreadnought", but then specify that there can be two-nacelled dreadnoughts as well, and three-nacelled non-dreadnoughts.

And to keep the historical analogy, I'd define a Starfleet dreadnought as "an outdated intermediate step from cruisers to battleships", and then possibly replace "battleship" with "explorer". There might not have been any dreadnoughts after the TMP-era one. And IMHO, the Niagara is the same thing as the Ambassador - both have the same sort of equipment and size.

The Ambassadors are heavy cruisers in the TNG era, but I like to think that they used to be explorers originally. When bigger, faster and more capable ships get built, the "honorary" title of explorer is given to the top-of-the-line mammoths, and the older ships in fact move to lesser duties because of this. The Niagaras could be ex-explorers, too, perhaps optimized for longer-range missions than the Ambassadors.

And like many others, I like to think that the older Niagaras with 28000-range NCCs had Ambassador engines, while the 59000 range ships are refits - the 28000 rego is just too good to be ignored as a typo.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the latest ST: TM issue with Linda Park gracing the cover and it has schematics of the Niagra and Freedom class ships with limited info available. That and I saw the cover picture of the new Trek book called ST: SCE with a Sabre Class cutaway. It looks almost if not the same to the one I've seen online and recieved from one of the members here.

[ February 08, 2002, 09:37: Message edited by: Michael_T ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any beauty-shots of Niagara and Freedom-classes or just the diagrams?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Basically, any pictures of these ships you want will have to be found on Ex-Astris, where Bernd has collected screenshots, diagrams, studio model pics, and a few CGI renderings.

Other than that (which is actually quite a bit) there's zilch. But that's not surprising, considering these ships were only ever onscreen for a few brief moments in two TNG episodes...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps