Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Done. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Done.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it the SS Conestoga?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the only place where 'SS' appeared was the early information about the ship. But since the Enterprise has no prefix at all and the other ships mentioned had ECS, the SS is still a 'TOS-and-beyon'-era designation.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Braga specifically stated that NX-01 rightfully had no prefix, in ST: Communicator.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, it's definitely not SS Enterprise, yes. That's wrong and stupid and all that. But I'm pretty sure the Conestoga had an SS prefix.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Mim apparently really likes the SS prefix (see his shiplist)

On this shiplist, i notice that Cpt. has the USS Dauntless NX-01. While I wholeheartedly agree, the possibility should be recognized that the Dauntless was NCC-01.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Or, the even more likely possibility that it never existed.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In that, in all likelihood, the Valkyrie name and registry materialized specifically for the exhibits and was never filmed. Especially since we seem to be concluding that the Constie model stayed Hathaway from 'Peak Performance' until its final appearance in 'Redemption', based on a screencap.
Yes, Mike, I think you're right.

Here's the situation for "Redemption"(IIRC): Four ships were shown on screen. The Enterprise, an Ambassador, a Constellation, & a Nebula.

The Ambassador was referred to as the Excalibur, but was actually labelled Zhukov, as it's the same shot from "Data's Day" only with more ships imposed. (And I believe there's a later shot of the ship using stock footage from "Yesterday's Enterprise," so it's also the Ent-C. I believe the model was re-labeled as "Yamaguchi" for Emissary, and that TPTB wanted to use it at the end of Generations.

The Constellation was never given a spoken name, but had "Hathaway" on the hull from it's previous use. Surprisingly, the Hathaway was not listed on the tachyon grid screen (probably because it was supposed to be decommissioned by this time). This was the last time a Constellation appeared in the series.

The Nebula was, of course, the Sutherland, the name both spoken in dialogue and written on the model.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
The Ambassador was referred to as the Excalibur, but was actually labelled Zhukov, as it's the same shot from "Data's Day" only with more ships imposed. (And I believe there's a later shot of the ship using stock footage from "Yesterday's Enterprise," so it's also the Ent-C. I believe the model was re-labeled as "Yamaguchi" for Emissary, and that TPTB wanted to use it at the end of Generations.

Well, the model was at one point labeled as the Excalibur. Look at this pic.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some confirmation, Amasov, from the encyclopedia:

Rudman, Commander . Officer on the Starship Merrimac . ("Birthright, Part I [TNG])

I know there is supposed to be a "k" there, but there isn't one in the encyclopedia. Also, the Merrimack isn't listed anywhere else in the book as being mentioned in "Birthright." It was robably heard over a PA system on DS9.

--------------------
Meh

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should also point out the Light-up Ambassador model by AMT/ERTL includes decals for both the USS Excalibur and USS Yamaguchi. It's an Ambassador Mk. II (the upgraded version).

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The labelling for the Excalibur was for "Redemption II". We see her in the pullback shot when the fleet departs the starbase.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
And Braga specifically stated that NX-01 rightfully had no prefix, in ST: Communicator.

quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Oh, it's definitely not SS Enterprise, yes. That's wrong and stupid and all that.

Nope. Regardless of what Braga said, the new ship's official copyrighted name is S.S. Enterprise. I go with that.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Here's that Redemption cap. Copy & paste the link.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid29/p1a24261bbfed4e0ed6ca33f4b55 915f0/fdf08c29.jpg.orig.jpg

As you can see, the registry is NCC-2593, not NCC-2590.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

I knew that Mim would fit his pattern of hearing what is actually the truth and then disregarding it for his own belief.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

What truth? My source is as good as yours. You trust whatever comes out of our pal Brannon's mouth, and I trust the U.S. government tademark & copyright office.

For now, at least. Of course, if it ever gets stated in the show somewhere or gets confirmed in an official reference source (of course, I mean other than just an interview with someone like Braga) I'll gladly accept it and shut up. But for now I certainly hope it will just end up as one of those silly little insights from the producer that come to be ignored, like Roddenberry's statement that the TOS-era Starfleet had no enlisted personnel, only officers, and other such assorted crap.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps