Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Changing Face of Evil: Graveyard anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Changing Face of Evil: Graveyard anyone?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed it a while back: Is the graveyard at the end really CGI? It seems pretty difficult to create so many 'wrecked models' in CGI (they were only there for a moment in the background) whil you could easily use physical models. Does anyone know more about that scene? There was a wrecked secondary hull of a Galaxy visible, as well as this baby:

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/shelly.jpg

Is it me or is that a 'Curry-type-but-we-all-call-it-Shelly-allthough-it-is-Shelley'-class ship? [Smile]
Don't tell me that's a Sabre. Please, don't tell me... [Frown]

[ February 10, 2002, 14:03: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be,
but also looks like a Sabre.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I won't tel you it's a Sabre.

But it is a Saber.

-MMoM [Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not a Galaxy wreck, it's a Nebula. Here's a clearer closeup I took out of the ST Magazine:

Scroll on down...

The pylons are all wrong for a Galaxy, connect above the secondary hull, and the secondary hull itself is too squat and fat for a Galaxy. As for the Saber, it's a Saber - upside down and top facing us. The magazine shows a little more than your cap, but it's pretty clear.

Mark

[ February 10, 2002, 14:39: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not entirely convinced that it's really a Nebula. Shouldn't there be any... remains from the saucer? Or is this the proof that the Nebula can seperate? OK, I admit, the phylons look a bit weired. But... [Frown]

...the Sabre.
Why no Shelly? Give me a Shelly! I don't want Nebulas and Excelsiors and...

...hey, BTW, there were other 'things' flating around. Any chance there is something we haven't seen yet? Neither the Encyclopedia nor the DS9TM reach that far. If I had better shots of that scene, I could do an analysis, but... but...

*runs out crying and screaming something about DS9-DVD's*

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know it's spelled "Shelley", why do you keep typing "Shelly"? Should we start referring to you as "Kyl Amsov"?
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh the Nebbie saucer is there in the wreckage. It's toward the the right of the Defiant's nose in your pic there, Kyle.

[ February 10, 2002, 17:30: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally think its the "shelley" type of starship which we apparently don't like very - personally I actually liked that design when i saw it being towed!

*gets pelted with rotten tomatos*

Anyway, when we get down to it - does it really matter???

*gets pelted with rocks*

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If you know it's spelled "Shelley", why do you keep typing "Shelly"? Should we start referring to you as "Kyl Amsov"?

I became used to it, TN. [Smile]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the graveyard being CGI -- it's my understanding that there are two parts to a computer model -- the 3D diagram itself, and then the texture, which provides the color and details.

Couldn't the artists simply modify the texture map to show the damage on the outside, and make it APPEAR to be 3D?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, or they could just rip out a section of polygons and darken the texture map a bit.
Its really not that hard to create damage in CG, its no more difficult than doing it on a physical model. Just look at the Equinox & Voyager's Year of hell.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strewth you're all blind! [Wink] HEHE!

It ain't a Sabre, and it ain't a Shelley. It's an Excelsior! That's clear as mud even on my crappy watched-too-many-times VHS tape. [Smile]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Strewth you're all blind! [Wink] HEHE!

It ain't a Sabre, and it ain't a Shelley. It's an Excelsior! That's clear as mud even on my crappy watched-too-many-times VHS tape. [Smile]

That's really the strangest position for an Excelsior-saucer I've ever seen! [Smile]
And the nacelles? Where are the phylons??? [Razz]

[Confused]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Sabre "saucer" looks almost round, despite being really angular, when you look at it from a distance. I'd assume, however, that we could see some of the 3D detail of the ship even at this distance. The "tail" of the ship appears very flat and shadow-free, which I wouldn't expect from a Sabre.

Then again, that nacelle placement does seem unique to the Sabres. Those nacelles just look awfully thin...

Timo Saloniemi

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov: That's really the strangest position for an Excelsior-saucer I've ever seen! [Smile]
And the nacelles? Where are the phylons??? [Razz]

[Confused] [/QB]

Scroll on down...

Right, click on this link and look at the picture below that of the Courier (modified Nova). OK, I'm talking about the Excelsior saucer in the top left. It's missing the front left part of its saucer - obviously been blow away by some torpedoes. [Frown]

Now if you are talking about the plylons to the right of that with part of a ship's body - me does think that it is part of a Nebula - the pylons bend in the same manner as that class and the necelles appear to belong to that class and the Galaxy. As for Cpt. Kyle Amasov's comment about remains of a saucer - it either separated before that damage that we can see was caused or the saucer was totally blown away. It's more than likely the secondary hull of a Nebula.

That help anyone?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps