Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Changing Face of Evil: Graveyard anyone? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Changing Face of Evil: Graveyard anyone?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Scroll on down...

Right, click on this link and look at the picture below that of the Courier (modified Nova). OK, I'm talking about the Excelsior saucer in the top left. It's missing the front left part of its saucer - obviously been blow away by some torpedoes. [Frown]

Now if you are talking about the plylons to the right of that with part of a ship's body - me does think that it is part of a Nebula - the pylons bend in the same manner as that class and the necelles appear to belong to that class and the Galaxy. As for Cpt. Kyle Amasov's comment about remains of a saucer - it either separated before that damage that we can see was caused or the saucer was totally blown away. It's more than likely the secondary hull of a Nebula.

That help anyone?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh. That Excelsior. Err, yes,...uhmm, very sad, indeed. [Roll Eyes]

The saucer; yes. It's not a Galaxy. Nebulas can - as far as we know - not seperate. Either it blew up or... it blew up. But what if they really can seperate? Sort of Consitution-last-minute-emergency-jettison? You know, leave the stardrive there and get your saucer out of the mess. It took ages to figure out if the Nebula has any impulse engine, and now that we know the saucer has the Galaxy-type drive, we can forget about my theory that there is a drive located in the rear pod. Well, if the two saucer-engines are the only STL-propulsion system, Nebula's stardrive is a blind duck if seperated.
On the other hand: The Dominion would have eliminated an entire saucer escaping the battle. They only let the escape pods go. I really asked myself when did Starfleet pick them up. They can't leave the system on their own, and even starfleet isn't insane enough to send rescue ships to Chin'toka after they lost the battle. Maybe they 'disappeared' on the same way the escape pods at Wolf did. [Smile]
Back to Nebula: maybe the saucer seperation is really necessary. DS9TM says the ship has a crew of more than 700. The two rowns of pods (assuming those are the same Intrepid/Defiant-pods) can carry up to 4 persons, You couldn't get everyone out of the ship that way. Too few. Emergency-saucer ejection sounds reasonable.

I really should go to bed now.......

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AKB: Well, yes, that is indeed an Excelsior. But since that isn't the ship in question, I'm not sure I see your point.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
AKB: Well, yes, that is indeed an Excelsior. But since that isn't the ship in question, I'm not sure I see your point.

Well duh! [Roll Eyes]

I posted that little bit of info because people were getting confused about what I was talking about. It doesn't take a PHD to figure it out you know [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
maybe the saucer seperation is really necessary. DS9TM says the ship has a crew of more than 700. The two rowns of pods (assuming those are the same Intrepid/Defiant-pods) can carry up to 4 persons, You couldn't get everyone out of the ship that way. Too few. Emergency-saucer ejection sounds reasonable
Actually, both the CGI and physical model of the Nebula have a total of 400 lifeboats on the saucer. The physical and CGI modelers left out the 10 lifeboats near the bridge. We've never seen the part of the saucer under the pod really well, but if it is like the Galaxy-class, it adds another 14 lifeboats. The Tech. Manual states that Galaxy-class type lifeboats can hold 4 with a max of 6.

So:
400 lifeboats (w/o lifeboats on the rear of the saucer) X 4 = 1600 people (with 6 in each lifeboat, the count rises to 2400)

414 lifeboats (including the ones at the rear of the saucer) X 4 = 1656 (with 6 in each lifeboat, 2484)

More than enough for the 700+ count in the DS9 Manual. Personally, I believe a Nebula could hold a crew just as large as a Galaxy, unless there really is something vital in that neck the Galaxy has...

...wow, I feel strange. [Smile]

[ February 14, 2002, 13:59: Message edited by: Ace ]

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's only the CGI. I think Phoenix, Sutherland and others had less lifeboat hatches (They also had less windows.).

Concerning Lifeboats: Why did they never update the Excelsior with the lifeboats common on ships like the Galaxy-series (Nebula, New Orleans...)? Or the Miranda? And don't tell me 250 people fit into 4 of those 'Emissary'-lifeboats! [Razz]

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, the physical model used for the Pheonix and Sutherland have the same number as the CGI model.

Check out this picture at EAS:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/farragut2.jpg

and this one (to see the missing 10 near the bridge):
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/farragut3.jpg

Personally, I like the TOS movie ships the way they are. It gives a more clean look compared to the TNG ships. Can you imagine the 1701-A with lifeboat hatches all over the saucer? ICK!

[ February 14, 2002, 13:58: Message edited by: Ace ]

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

If you can get a clear shot of the E-B MSD somwhere (can't scan the one from the Sketchbook, it's two pages wide), there are lifeboat hatches located on the saucer. The MSD even calls them 'lifeboat hatches'. But I didn't find them on the model yet. Same old question: What do you believe? Model or Okudagram? [Confused]

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

Model. That same MSD calls the saucer impulse engines "Main Shuttlebays (P/S)"!

However, it doesn't mean they don't have lifeboats UNDER the saucer hull similar to the Defiant. Mr. Scott's guide (not canon, but still interesting) has info about how the Constitution Refit has the lifeboats behind the hull plating, and the plates are blown off before the lifeboat is ejected.

[ February 14, 2002, 14:09: Message edited by: Ace ]

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
Model. That same MSD calls the saucer impulse engines "Main Shuttlebays (P/S)"!

However, it doesn't mean they don't have lifeboats UNDER the saucer hull similar to the Defiant. Mr. Scott's guide (not canon, but still interesting) has info about how the Constitution Refit has the lifeboats behind the hull plating, and the plates are blown off before the lifeboat is ejected.

The top view, yes. But the cutaway says 'Shuttlebay, P/S'. [Smile]

The Constitution had lifeboats. One was seen during the scnene in TMP when Kirk came aboard the ship for the first time. On the blueprint. It was a red boxy entrance with a yellow label saying 'lifeboat', if I remember right.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps