Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ambassador era vessels (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ambassador era vessels
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we know of any vessels that were built in between the movie era and TNG apart from the Ambassador class?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on how you define the TNG era.

The Excelsior-class was built in large numbers sometime before the 2340's -- the NCC-42xxx numbers.

The Niagra (or one ship) had a NCC-28xxx number -- some people have speculated that the ship didn't originally have Galaxy-class nacelles, but originally had Ambassador-style ones.

Other ships like the unseen Merced-class are probably in the Ambassador era as well.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a list of ships in the post-movie/pre-TNG era (roughly described as the ships in the 2000-50000 range)

- Constelllation (19xx-3xxx; 71xx-9xxx)
- Excelsior (2xxx-25xx; 13xxx-14xxx; 38xxx-42xxx)
- Deneva (62xx)
- Antares (10xxx) (DO NOT DISCUSS!! [Wink] )
- Ambassador (105xx; 26xxx)
- Apollo (115xx-125xx)
- Oberth (0-infinity)
- Hokule'a (19xxx)
- Wambundu (203xx)
- Miranda (18xx; 21xxx-31xxx)
- Niagara (28xxx) (yes, I believe in the Niagara's with Ambassodor style nacelles, perhaps even originally with only two)
- Surak (33xxx)
- Istanbul (34xxx)
- Merced (37xxx)
- Mediterranean (43xxx)
- Renaissance (45xxx)
- "Shelley" (45xxx)

And then we enter the realm of the Steamrunners, Akiras, early Galaxites, Olympics and that sort of stuff.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would describe TNG era as anything from 2355 onwards. Movie era is anything seen in the first 6 films (and the Enterprise-B). I was wondering if there could be any 'Trek' reason for the scarcity of vessels from this time period?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehm, yes.. There were no movies or series between the movies and the later series... [Big Grin]

And canonically speaking, nothing *ever* indicated that there was a scarcity of ships in that era.

[ March 03, 2002, 12:02: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

I meant a scarcity of ships built in that period seen in series/films set later.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
The Niagra (or one ship) had a NCC-28xxx number -- some people have speculated that the ship didn't originally have Galaxy-class nacelles, but originally had Ambassador-style ones.

Thanks for the idea. If I had have more time, I would have redone the entire ship (I only updated the phylons to match the nacelles color), but for now, here's my kitbashed version of the 'Niagassador' (or 'Ambassadara'?). [Big Grin]

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/Oldniagsm.jpg

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wraith: But such a scarcity doesn't exist. Look at all those ships Harry listed. They're all ones we learned about from TNG-era series.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in comparison, we only learned of five ship classes in the movie era - and of those, two (the Constellation and the Sydney) were introduced in TNG. The movies themselves only gave us the Constitution-refit, the Miranda and the Oberth. Oh, and the Excelsior, but apparently the time for that design hadn't come yet - the Excelsior-family ships we see in DS9 have registries beyond 40000 (and either belong to some of the classes listed by Harry, or then possibly to as yet unheard-of classes).

I guess the Ambassador design "family" had a similar fate - the Ambassadors were built first, in the NCC 10000 range, but proved too advanced for the era, and the "family" only followed many, many NCCs later. The so far unassigned 30000-range classes like Merced or Surak could represent the Ambassador family - or then there never was such a family, as the Galaxy designs usurped its place in the 57000+ range. Those got built "out of order" for some reason, so to say - the smaller varied ships *before* the big Galaxies.

Timo Saloniemi

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont mean to side-track, (yeah right) but i (think) i know that there is a small group of ppl who believe in a era-based chronological registry (i dont know the proper term for it, if there was one) but a system where ships are given registries (upon build order) wit the starting number being unique to a particular period of time. also meaning that even tho a ship was designed and then ordered to be built during a certain era..it doesnt actually get built (and probly had its design upgraded) until later so the number got 'reserved' trying to explain inconsistencies with registry numbers and the physical appearance of the ship...

well just my viewpoint...just wondered how many people who susbcribed to the same belief./..if its just me...then well so be it hehe

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

OK, I'll give u that there is no shortage of ship classes from this era but how many have we actually seen:

- Constelllation (19xx-3xxx; 71xx-9xxx)
This still uses movie era tech (warp nacelles, saucer design).

- Excelsior (2xxx-25xx; 13xxx-14xxx; 38xxx-42xxx)
First seen in the movies.

- Deneva (62xx)
Never seen

- Antares (10xxx) (DO NOT DISCUSS!! )
I agree

- Ambassador (105xx; 26xxx)

- Apollo (115xx-125xx)
Never seen (as far as I know

- Oberth (0-infinity)
First seen in the movies

- Hokule'a (19xxx)
Never seen

- Wambundu (203xx)
Never seen

- Miranda (18xx; 21xxx-31xxx)
First seen in the movies

- Niagara (28xxx) (yes, I believe in the Niagara's with Ambassodor style nacelles, perhaps even originally with only two)
I agree w/ this one

- Surak (33xxx)
Never seen (as far as I know)

- Istanbul (34xxx)
Never seen

- Merced (37xxx)
Never seen

- Mediterranean (43xxx)
Never seen

- Renaissance (45xxx)
Never seen

- "Shelley" (45xxx)
Movie era tech

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
- Apollo (115xx-125xx)
Never seen (as far as I know

Some say this is the T'Pau. And some say they've seen Bigfoot. Believe it or not.

quote:

I agree w/ this one

Hmmm... A Niagara with Ambassador-nacelles, but without the third nacelle below the secondary hull? Now that sounds weired. But I think there have been some freaks calling this an 'Ambassador'-class ship. But I don't think that it's canon. [Big Grin]

quote:

- Mediterranean (43xxx)
Never seen

Centaur probably?

quote:

- Renaissance (45xxx)
Never seen

Shelley probably?

Maybe someone can help me with this one; a long time ago I found a page featuring information and designs from one of the FASA-books. It seemed to be pretty new stuff, they already included FC-ships (maybe even Prometheus). However, they also had some designs of ships featured in that or one of those books. One of them was the Wambundu-class. There were several others, too, but that's the one that looked most impressive for a design absolutely fitting to the given information. It was some sort of Proto-Steamrunner, two catamaran-style hulls, warp nacelles attached to the catamaran hulls, flat, and it looked modern (no Constitution-parts, for example). Can anyone provide a link to that page? I know it has to be out there.(The information given contained some non-canon ship names and registries, for example. And I remember the pages were sorted by date - something like '2210-2250', '2340-2370'.)

It was a great page, and this here remembered me that it still has to be somewhere out there...

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's www.shipschematics.net.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

I checked shipschematics, but they didn't have what I was looking for. Only the strange Oberth-kitbash and the ASDB-design. Maybe I should try google...

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Okay, I slapped something together that might look a little bit like the ship I've seen. Don't blame me for the bad quality of the kitbash, it's a five-minute work.

http://www.geocities.com/cpt_kyle_amasov/huh.jpg

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps