Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Help me out, guys...(Field day for experts in the non-canon) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help me out, guys...(Field day for experts in the non-canon)
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, here’s what I’m looking for. The following ships are all the supposed class prototypes of classes we know of. Their existence is taken for granted because of other vessels carrying that class name, but beyond that there is nothing in the canon regarding them. What I want to know is if there’s anything about these ships in non-canon (but still officially published, not just stuff you made up [from technical guides, novels, computer games, RPG’s, etc…that kind of thing]) sources in the way of registry numbers, etc. Stuff that’ll be good for me to add as footnotes in my Shiplist.

U.S.S. Andromeda
U.S.S. Apollo
U.S.S. Challenger
U.S.S. Cheyenne
U.S.S. Chimera
U.S.S. Daedalus
U.S.S. Deneva
U.S.S. Freedom
U.S.S. Hokule’a
U.S.S. Istanbul
U.S.S. Korolev
U.S.S. Mediterranean
U.S.S. Merced
U.S.S. Nebula
U.S.S. New Orleans
U.S.S. Niagara
U.S.S. Norway
U.S.S. Olympic
U.S.S. Peregrine
U.S.S. Renaissance
U.S.S. Rigel
U.S.S. Saber
U.S.S. Sequoia
U.S.S. Soyuz
U.S.S. Springfield
U.S.S. Steamrunner
U.S.S. Surak
U.S.S. Sydney
U.S.S. Wambundu
U.S.S. Wells
U.S.S. Whorfin
U.S.S. Yorkshire
U.S.S. Zodiac

Can anyone come up with anything? Steve Pugh’s site has been somewhat helpful, but it can also be limited in some cases. I await your replies. [Wink]

Thanks,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only role-playing game recent enough to have incorporated most of these ships would be the LUG thing, which Steve quotes on his page. So go and buy the handbook... [Smile]

But there's one piece of info I can offer: the Cheyenne class was once described in a fan booklet of its own - not a very accurate work, but perhaps worth a look. James Dixon's chronology incorporates the info from this booklet (which I fear must be well out of print by now), and places the exploration cruiser USS Cheyenne at NCC 50000, with potentially Dixon-mangled dates of 2325 project initiation, 2337 first keel, and 2341 launch.

Believe it if you wish. I once held the booklet in my hands in a shop in Hannover, but didn't buy it, and have been kicking myself at regular intervals ever after. One highly interesting piece of trivia in there: the booklet describes the lifepods of USS Saratoga from "The Emissary" in detail, but presents these as the lifeboats of the Cheyenne class. This was probably the first printed work to have any info on these lifeboats ("Ashanti class" or something in the booklet, but R class according to some other source Dixon quotes).

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
The only role-playing game recent enough to have incorporated most of these ships would be the LUG thing, which Steve quotes on his page. So go and buy the handbook... [Smile]

But there's one piece of info I can offer: the Cheyenne class was once described in a fan booklet of its own - not a very accurate work, but perhaps worth a look. James Dixon's chronology incorporates the info from this booklet (which I fear must be well out of print by now), and places the exploration cruiser USS Cheyenne at NCC 50000, with potentially Dixon-mangled dates of 2325 project initiation, 2337 first keel, and 2341 launch.

Believe it if you wish. I once held the booklet in my hands in a shop in Hannover, but didn't buy it, and have been kicking myself at regular intervals ever after. One highly interesting piece of trivia in there: the booklet describes the lifepods of USS Saratoga from "The Emissary" in detail, but presents these as the lifeboats of the Cheyenne class. This was probably the first printed work to have any info on these lifeboats ("Ashanti class" or something in the booklet, but R class according to some other source Dixon quotes).

Timo Saloniemi

I have that book. I also have the USS Galileo's manual, but it's really poor, just four or five pictures in the whole book.

A could also provide the Dominion War-sourcebook, I downloaded it some time ago from the net. Maybe someone has the link. If not, I could send you that think (but I remember it was pretty large, about 5MB.). There was a shiplist in the appendix of the book, a list of ships participation in the battle of Betazed or something like that.

And I downloaded another sourcebook, the TNG Spacedock Advanced something. It had information on several Encyclopedia-based classes.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have the link.

http://216.40.212.6/trek/core/comp_core_netbooks.htm

What's that expression you English people use? "Take it with a ton of salt"? Bah, whatever. [Wink]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's IT? Nobody has anything else for me? [Eek!] I thought we had some die-hard non-canoneers here! [Frown]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we've certainly got some dedicated Star Wars fans here, Mr. Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope: The Special Edition! [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Cheyenne

That Cheynne booklet lists the U.S.S. Cheyenne as NCC-50000.

U.S.S. Chimera

LUG Lists the 3 Nacelled DS9 Kitbash the Chimera Class, and has the U.S.S. Chimera at NCC-71653. They ignored the Portland, I assume.

U.S.S. Korolev

LUG has this as NCC-59387.

Or something. Who knows. I == Suck.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could tell you something about the Sovereign from BC, but it's not on your list. [Frown]

Let's see...

Andromeda: Yes, I know it. It seems to be a prototype design, nothing what Starfleet ever had before. And it's really large. As far as I know, they sold the prototype and some others to the Commonwealth. And the... *someone with a shotgun approaches behind him* ...on the other hand, let's forget that. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
That's IT? Nobody has anything else for me? [Eek!] I thought we had some die-hard non-canoneers here! [Frown]

Most tech fandom concerns itself with 2270-2290, and that's really about it. It flourished in the '80s and early '90s, before the Encyclopedia let us know all of these classes even existed. It is no surprise that fandom has little to say about them.

Of course, you asked for "official" publications... but other than LUG's role-playing guides, there aren't any official publications that deal with twenty-fourth century starships! When it comes to starships, "non-canon" generally means "fandom" by default, aside from the tech manuals, RPG materials, and recently the Starship Spotter.

[ March 10, 2002, 09:00: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of that had to do with the available database, Ryan. Since a lot of the people doing fan artwork have problems working from screencaps (including me!), most of the ship designs were partly or wholly based on published material. Until the Encyclopedia came out, there was next to nothing out there for us to work with. Even so, much of what has come out since then is still inaccurate, based as it is on the Fact Files and the AMT/Ertl models (both the soul of accuracy [Roll Eyes] ).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

What about novels? Have any of you read any that might mention one of these in passing?

And Cpt. Kyle, I don't have the Intrepid or Sovereign on there because we've already got registries for them. (NCC-74600 and NCC-75000)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
75000?

Lug has 14751.
Bridge Commander has 73811.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Alex Rosenzweig suggested it to Mike Okuda and he gave it his "stamp of approval" though he admits that he can't be sure a future show or movie won't change it.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Hey, wasn't there a series of novle that dealt with the exploits of the U.S.S. Daedalus? Anyone?

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
U.S.S. Daedalus

NCC-170 according to Jackill's Daedalus Class Exploration Craft Data Sheets.

quote:
U.S.S. Peregrine
Have we ever seen a Peregrine class with a name? Well actually, have we ever seen a Peregrine class? If Peregrine = Attack Fighter than it's fairly certain that there is no USS Peregrine as those fighters probably don't have USS names. If Peregrine = anything else then they've never been seen in Starfleet service.

quote:
U.S.S. Soyuz
NCC-5300 according to the first editions of Jackill's guides. Somewhere between NCC-1941 and NCC-1961 according to the revised edition. Can check the exact number if anyone cares.

quote:
Steve Pugh's site has been somewhat helpful, but it can also be limited in some cases.
Let me know what you need more help with and I'll try to dig out the original sources.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Identity Crisis:
Can check the exact number if anyone cares.

I care. [Smile] Thanks, Steve. (May I call you Steve? [Confused] )

-MMoM [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps