Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Skagerrak and USS Aliquippa (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Skagerrak and USS Aliquippa
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, today I re-discovered these 2 pictures:
http://members.aol.com/FdFrontier/aliquippaenv.jpg
http://members.aol.com/FdFrontier/skagerrakenv.jpg
Does anyone know more about these ships? According to the text they appeared in the TAS episode "The Time Trap". Anyone remember this episode and can backup this?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look like these two ships from the episode:

However, these ships were not identified in the dialogue, and they certainly don't appear to be quite-as-obviously-Starfleet as those scans of yours would suggest. Certainly, they're not labeled with names or registries.

Where'd those come from, anyway, Spikey?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

BTW, those screencaps are from this page at the Guardian of Forever.

-MM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to find images from "Timetrap".. the ships seen there were vaguely Federation, not the detailed ones in the diagrams, which seem to have most of the details made up by the draftsman.

[ ok, so someone posted the same thing as me while i was writing ]

[ March 12, 2002, 15:44: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My goodness... talk about designs that are out in left field...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I remember these ships. They were drawn by a member of the GEC (a defunct tech fan group of which I used to be a member) and first appeared in the GEC fanzine (Logbook) 3 or 4 years ago. The author, Mark Wilson (IIRC) had a project to draw all the ships from the Delta Triangle. He made up all the detailing and wrote some background histories. He's also did some shuttlecarrier prints, I think.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Where'd those come from, anyway, Spikey?
They're from http://members.aol.com/FdFrontier/

Thanks for solving this mystery.

[ March 12, 2002, 15:56: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first pic looks like an early version of the "Tamarian" vessel from Darmok - of course reused profusely elsewhere (I don't even know if that was its debut episode?).

[ March 12, 2002, 19:11: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was. It's been seen at least twice since on DS9, and at least once more on Voyager (actually, I think it served as a Vidiian ship at one point). Quite unfortunate, since as Trek guest ship designs go it's relatively distictive and easy to pick out.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the old veteran was a Vidiian at any point, but she did serve as the ship of those veil-wearing weirdos who became kids when they grew old, in VOY "Innocence". The ship had blue nacelle glow there, but was otherwise identical to the earlier appearance in DS9 "Armageddon Game" where the glow was red... Interestingly enough, a matching shuttle design was created for "Innocence".

The Tamarian ship did appear for the first time in "Darmok". (In later appearances it gained prominent dorsal and ventral fins on the nacelles.) However, it appears that the ship is just a modification of the Talarian warship from "Suddenly Human", with the X-wing things ripped out and the nacelles installed instead.

And it seems that the basic hull was built out of Imperial Star Destroyer elements...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you think there's a no go with a connection to the "The Time Trap" ship - even if it is doing it backwards!?! ;o)

I DID notice that the Orion Pirate ship from TAS, looked REMARKABLY like the Miradorn ship from "Vortex" which was also seen as the Mercenary ship in "Gambit 1 and 2". Having it as the ship for those 'pirates' in Gambit makes this ship interesting (and you could say that the Miradorn in "Vortex" weren't exactly non-pirate-ish...) Could they have taken inspiration from the TAS episode in building this ship? It fits nicely if they did. The ship at least in Gambit had some sort of 'something' about it according to Data? Or was it just unknown? Fits in nicely with the Orion idea... and just because we haven't seen the Orions, doesn't mean that we can't have seen their ships being used by 'pirate-esque' type groups in TNG/DS9!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any chance we may find the script for the episode somwhere? Mayb it's like the note about the Intrepid or Ticonderoga; I don't know where the guy got his information, maybe it's just made up, but it could also be that there's a line in the script, something like:

"Scene xy, external shot.
A view of the delta triangle graveyard; we can see several unknown ships as well as familiar designs. Some of them being the Skagerrak and Aliquippa, and the first Starfleet warpship, the Bonaventure..."

You know, something like that. Or it was in dialogue but cut. Until I take anything of this as official, I need a source for it. And the final episode is not.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it, highly. Besides, I think Masao already said that the gentleman made up the details like the name and background specifically for the project.

But, I suppose we could take the designs at least to be Starfleet...hey, Masao, could you maybe draw up the ships the way they really look? They're really simple shapes... [Big Grin]

Incidentally, I've ordered a set of both the plans.

-MMoM [Wink]

[ March 13, 2002, 11:46: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That top one looks like the 'Dragons Teeth' ships.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The video doesn't say much. IIRC, only Bonaventure is ID'd by name or given any explanation. As for the other ships, we can't even assume they're Starfleet ships.

I think we should all chip in and buy MMoM a drawing program!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

It's not a matter of finances, my friend, it's just that I have no knack for that sort of thing. [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps