Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warp suicide? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Warp suicide?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The wave was traveling at warp speed... a Enstein impossibility (nothing can reach speed of light), so the wave must have been involved with subspace...
Not entirely true. All EM radiaton travels with the speed of light (light IS EM radiaton). It would be impossible (I think, but there are vague theories on FTL gravitons) if the wave went FTL..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember much from "New Ground," but I'm pretty sure that the wave was accelerating FTL. IIRC, the Enterprise had to go fast to get around it, or something like that.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I don't think you can as per Kira "Go To Warp in a Solar System" - we'll we've seen it done most of the Movies, and most episodes of TNG where the Ent leaves a planet and warps off! I believe the difference might be Warping in a solar system going towards the star - i.e. warping into the system... (you can more and more debris - like the Asteroid belt etc.) Also, why Kira said you 'can't go to warp in a solar system' - at the time they were heading towards Bajor's sun. And well, we usually see ships have to drop to impulse when they arrive in a System - but they can warp OUT of a system easily enough.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I figured, that warping in the "outer" system -- from Earth-orbit on out -- it's fairly safe. But the inner system has more junk in it, plus the massive gravitational pull of the star. Plus, the Defiant was heading directly towards the star in that ep, to catch the Runabout.

Of course, in the Sol System you've got the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter -- that's got to be a major navigational hazard. Probably the ships take a route "around" the field...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your ship was ramming another ship and went to warp... your warp field would not cover the entire enemy ship... would you slice that enemy ship in two when you turn part of it into a 'Ghost' as the poster in one of the messages above called it?

A ship normally warps out of a solar system, but never into one... Maybe this says something...
Gravity in a solar system prevents warp ins. If a ship warps into a solar system then they can't stop and tend to run into the local sun because of this (or, perhaps, they slingshot around it... still nasty)
A ship can warp out because it is warping away from the gravity well... it isn't heading toward the center of gravity...

Could that idea hold any water?

[ March 14, 2002, 15:02: Message edited by: Golden Tiger ]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you could cut a ship in two w/ a warp field. A field doesn't have a line that you cross to be in it or out of it. The field would be strongest around the ship and gradually get weaker on the way out. Just like, if you move a metal object near a magnet, you can feel a light tug at first that gets stronger as you get closer.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any techie types/physicists here? How does the amount of energy released by a single photon torpedo (previously calculated by someone, I'm sure) compare to that of a starship hitting an object at full impulse (0.25 c) and at light speed? Let's say the ship weighs a million tons. (I don't remember by physics equations, sorry) Then, if we can estimate how many torpedo hits a ship can absorb before its shields collapse, we might be able to say what would happen if a ship hits a shield ship.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinetic energy of a Galaxy-class starship at full impulse:

Ek = 1/2 * m * v2

m = 4.5 * 109 kg

v = 0.25 c = 0.25 (3.00 * 108 m/s) = 7.5 * 107 m/s

Ek = 1/2 * 4.5 * 109 * (7.5 * 107)2 = 1.266 * 1025 J
(equivalent to 3.03 * 109 megatons of TNT)

Energy released by the annihilation of 1.5 kg of matter and 1.5 kg of antimatter:

E = m * c2

m = 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 kg [Smile]

c = 3.00 * 108 m/s

E = 3 kg * (3.00 * 108 m/s)2 = 2.7 * 1017 J
(equivalent to 64.5 megatons of TNT)

In other words, the Galaxy smacking something is the same, in raw energy terms, as 47 million photon torpedoes. (That number again!).

However, it would be a bit presumptious to assume that more Joules = better able to break through a shield.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
In other words, the Galaxy smacking something is the same, in raw energy terms, as 47 million photon torpedoes. (That number again!).

And in the end, it is further proven that not only have the creators of each of the Star Trek series though about questions such as this but also that they choose to define their own answers (involving the number 47 in a tremendous amount of them).
IP: Logged
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent work!

But, here are some other possibilities. Take a peek and let me know what you think:

quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Kinetic energy of a Galaxy-class starship at full impulse:

Ek = 1/2 * m * v2

m = 4.5 * 109 kg

v = 0.25 c = 0.25 (3.00 * 108 m/s) = 7.5 * 107 m/s

Ek = 1/2 * 4.5 * 109 * (7.5 * 107)2 = 1.266 * 1025 J
(equivalent to 3.03 * 109 megatons of TNT)

True, in general, but we do not know the full effect of the spacetime driver coils on the mass of the starship. It has been postulated elsewhere that the coils perform an artificial mass reduction effect (AMRE) on the entire ship, not merely an extra shove on the impulse exhaust products.

One person's calculation runs as follows:

quote:

While I was on holiday I got a bit bored one afternoon and decided to
work out how strong the AMRE must be for a GCS

Assume 1 TW impulse engine power (will actually be less)
Assume 10km/s^2 impulse acceleration (will actually be more)
Assume 4.5 million ton mass

F = ma
W = Fd
W = mad
P = W/t
P = mad/t
P = 4.5e9 * 1e4 * 5e3 / 1
P = 2.25e17 W

GCS only produces 1e12 W
AMRE must reduce mass to 1e12/2.25e17 of original = 1/2.25e5 = 2e4 kg

Conclusion :
AMRE must reduce mass to 20000 kg at most. (99.999555...% AMRE)
If acceleration is greater, mass must be less and AMRE must be greater
If engine power is less mass must be less so AMRE must be greater.

If Riker is wrong, however, AMRE will be less. According to Elim the TM
says on P77 that each IRC (Impulse Reaction Chamber) is throttleable
from 1e8 to 1e11 MW.

(the 1 TW figure is from Riker in one of the TNG eps. He says that a TW
radio source is more power than the ship can generate.
The 10km/s^2 figure is from the TM where is says that an ACS can
accelerate at that rate and it's the slowest.
The 4.5mil ton figure is from the TM.)

Though the one terawatt figure for entire starship energy output from "The Dauphin" is quite readily contradicted elsewhere, most notably in Voyager, the "108 to 1011 megawatts" figure from the Tech Manual is possible.

Granted, they could simply turn off the driver coils as they approached the target, but I would assume (???) that this would slow the vessel considerably. Of course, since a starship isn't restricted to .25c, they could always just go faster and then turn it off (for a final velocity in the range of .25c), but without a stationary target I'd think the relativistic effects would make aim difficult.

quote:

Energy released by the annihilation of 1.5 kg of matter and 1.5 kg of antimatter:

E = m * c2

m = 1.5 + 1.5 = 3 kg [Smile]

c = 3.00 * 108 m/s

E = 3 kg * (3.00 * 108 m/s)2 = 2.7 * 1017 J
(equivalent to 64.5 megatons of TNT)

However, it would be a bit presumptious to assume that more Joules = better able to break through a shield.

Also, given that the photon torpedoes are generally portrayed to be more powerful than phasers, rendering someone's butt soundly whooped with the raw energy output, 64.5 megatons seems a little low. Granted, that is the correct figure given 1.5 kg of antimatter and a 100% efficient detonation, but we've seen phasers, disruptors, and photon torpedoes all deliver more energy than that . . . I'm thinking of "The Die is Cast"[DS9] here, primarily.

Just some thoughts . . .

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps