Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Borg! - or: yet another preview (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Borg! - or: yet another preview
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I added more data to my crew size post.

Good update. I'd suggest increasing the maximum number on a cube to 180,000, based on the over 50,000 added in "Dark Frontier." Another nitpick: 1500 feet converts to 460m, not 450m (I know, I know...)

As for cubes growing and such -- Data noted that although it is "uncertain" whether the "Q Who" and BOBW cubes are the same ship, the dimensions are "precisely the same." (according to the script, haven't checked the aired version). Either it was the same ship, or there is in fact little variation between Borg cubes of the same variant.

It also occured to me that if the Voyager cube really shares components of this one (as Mark indicated), then they ought to be the same size: 3km.

Also, the Borg scout ship was given a mass of 2.5 million tons in the episode.

[ March 16, 2002, 09:47: Message edited by: Boris ]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1500 feet converts to 460m, not 450m (I know, I know...)
Oh yes. I will probably change all figures to "approx." anyway. This will save me to look up the conversion factor each time ;-)

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had a problem with the mass given for the scout ship from "I, Borg." It seemed unbelievably high for so small a vessel. Given the size of wreckage on the planet, it would seem this ship had a density of tens of thousands of tons per cubic meter; what the hell was this thing made of, anyway?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea what they are made of, but maybe that was just a part of a larger vessel, maybe an escape pod. Or the thing was more heavily damaged than we thought and these were just the remains of the original ship.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was 7of9's sphere really small or did it just had a very small compliment?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know, but it seems a bit ... strange that all the survivors are part of Seven's 'number', in other words two of nine or three of nine. Or maybe there were only nine survivors and the drones assigned new numbers to themselves.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really, on hugh's scout ship, there were only 5 drones and he was designated third of five.

[ March 17, 2002, 11:52: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.decipher.com/startrek/cardlists/firstcontact/large/borgscoutvessel.html

that would be a good shot to use for the scout..

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders whether crew size is proportional to ship size or ship mission...

Perhaps a scout, not tasked with wholesale assimilation, does not actually require much of a crew? A handful of drones could be aboard for the odd maintenance duties. Thus, the "small" scoutships from "I, Borg" and "Survival Instinct" could in fact be very large and simply very thinly crewed. While the Borg are mostly famous for being cyborgs, perhaps they are also good at pure robotics - perhaps their ships don't really need crews?

Then again, we have seen the drones operate the ships "manually" in many a VOY occasion. Do they *need* to press those buttons to make the ship work, or is that just "make-work" to keep the drones busy and happy?

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
http://www.decipher.com/startrek/cardlists/firstcontact/large/borgscoutvessel.html

that would be a good shot to use for the scout..

I've seen this image before somewhere....but I've never been able to make sense of it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps