Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ "Rogue Planet" Tech Sctuff.. [Spoilers!] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Rogue Planet" Tech Sctuff.. [Spoilers!]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a tech-heavy show, and the plot itself is rather thin. Anyhoo:

-The episode opens with another PR stunt, this time Trip looking to take pics of the captain to send back to Earth for a portrait. Ironically, the digital camera he's using is perhaps the most NON futuristic prop we've ever seen in the series so far.

-Archer's portrait will join those of other famous Starfleet captains, in a collection which purportedly inspired cadets like Mayweather.

-I can't remember everything from "The Andorian Incident", but was it mentioned there that famous Vulcans get mummified? Well, it gets mentioned here.

-The rogue planet is a class-M, but does not circle a star. It supposedly escaped its parent star, but I don't think current physics supports something that heavy going rogue. Heat supposedly comes from escaping gases, but this is even less likely... And for a sunless planet, there's an awful lot of foliage. Still, it allows for a lot of new optical shots with a darkened Enterprise orbiting a darkened planet.

-Reed and Archer were both in the Eagle Scouts, thogh Reed had two more merit badges - including exobiology.

-The away team this time goes down with spiffy nightvision headsets that cover one eye. Dunno what this does for stereoscopic vision.

-Reed joins a bunch of Hirogen-- uh, *game hunters* they find there - the hunters have even spiffier nightvision sets that cover both eyes. Their rifles look almost a little too obtusely like normal hunting rifles.

-Synthesizing unknown alien blood types is a simple matter for earth medical science, apparently.

The rest isn't terribly interesting, I'm afraid. Not a bad epsiode per se, but it doesn't offer anything really new in the Trek universe. This one's alternate episode is "Captain Archer Falls for a Slug".

Mark

[ March 19, 2002, 22:42: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hirogen???

Oy... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in the visual sense. But their temperment and constant talk of "prey" pretty much makes 'em Hirogen. I'm betting we never see these particular aliens ever again.

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get to see the preserved corpses of a couple famous Vulcan monk-types in "The Andorian Incident," though there weren't any details about why they (or was it just one?) in particular were preserved. Interesting.
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-The away team this time goes down with spiffy nightvision headsets that cover one eye. Dunno what this does for stereoscopic vision.

Screws up steroscopic vision at first but people can adapt with training/practice. Some modern military equipment works in a similar fashion. Hmm, there's stuff about this in that very bad movie with Nicholas Cage in a helicopters. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0099575

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trained during night ops to keep one eye open, one eye closed whenever a flare went up - it enabled you to look around using the light of the flare, while retaining partial night vision. Of course, I have a lazy eye (otherwise known as a squint) so I don't have true binocular vision (the very idea of what it must be like is unknown to me; it also plays hell with your depth perception!); only using one eye at a time anyway, I therefore found it quite easy - don't know what normal-sighted people thought of it. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, no new ships mentioned/seen?
Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, star-less planets aren't that unlikely. If I remember correctly, astronomers did discover a few rouge gas giants. I'm not positive about that though.
IP: Logged
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If synthesizing unknown alien blood types is a simple matter, then how come that in "Journey to Babel" Spock had to donate blood to Sarek because they didn't have enough of his blood type aboard?

Boris

[ March 20, 2002, 08:26: Message edited by: Boris ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Mim - Nope. The aliens had their own lil' ship, but all we see of their technology is a collection of futuristic camping gear.

Flower - What you may be thinking of are tiny failed stars, which essentially coalesce into gas giant-type planets, go dark, and ultimately freeze. What we're talking about here are rocky Earth-type planets... The science behind it is all fiddle-faddle-foo.

Boris - You'd think they'd remember that...

Mark

--------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ack am i the only one getting an ent repeat tonight??
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only failed stars? Not necessarily:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/RoguePlanet.html

I also read somewhere that there's new speculation that a terrestrial planet once existed between the Mars and Jupiter orbits and was ejected or plunged into the sun during the early days of the solar system (say, 3-4 billion years ago.) I'm trying to find the link where I read that yesterday.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that the planet between Mars and Jupiter was the asteroid belt.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So was I, But this was something based upon a computer generated model of the history of the orbits of the inner planets.

Dammit, I can't find the link!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I stand corrected. I'm also wiling to bet that Mr. Science Advisor for Enterprise read just that article in addition to the writer, who took the obvious dramatic liberties.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps