Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Non-Canon Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Non-Canon Question
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about some things I noticed while digging up my files about the Federation Starship Recognition Chart. This was published using most of the Ships of the Starfleet class names and diagrams, but there were several odd classes that I've never seen a clear diagram of since they are silhouetted of the chart. These include the Frobisher-class, Nordenskjold-class, Detroyat-class and the Pytheas-class. Here are a couple of diagrams i made, on the basis of the fact that the seem to use early versions of Connie saucers (in the SotSF milieu, this explains low registered Connies.. they were originally saucers from older ships)

Google hasnt helped.. anyone know anything else about these?

[ March 25, 2002, 11:44: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're DAAAAAMN ugly.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The upper ship - what's the name of that one? I seem to recall that one from somwhere.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pytheas-class.. obviously based on a Jefferies sketch, and according to the scale of the chart, using Constitution-sized nacelles and saucer (although very basic versions of said). I need to find the Jefferies page it came off of to see how the nacelles are attached (i made that pic off only a sideview silhouette). I'm wondering whether it was just on the poster or if its a reference to another fandom work (like most of the other ships Detroyat, Coventry, Mitannic, etc..)

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeffries' sketch! That's it. Probably. The sketch was published in the Sketchbook, for example. The nacelles are attached directly below the saucer, and there are bussard collectors. But the ship lacks a main deflector dish, as far as I can tell from the drawing. I just looked for that. But I think it was also in the Art of Star Trek.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the little entry for the Detroyat at Steve Pugh's site:
http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/twenty_third.html#detroyat

And, a schematic from shipschematics.net:
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/heavydestroyer_detroyat.jpg

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
Member # 709

ooh now i know how the nacelles are attached.. I plan on doing more detailed side views of these vessels once i have enough information.

BTW.. is Pugh updating his site.. I'd love to see it reflect the data weve gathered/analyzed here. I even sent him a picture at one point to use, but never got a response

[ March 25, 2002, 16:09: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
BTW.. is Pugh updating his site.. I'd love to see it reflect the data weve gathered/analyzed here. I even sent him a picture at one point to use, but never got a response

I am updating my site every now and again. There's not much that's been said here that needs adding to the site. I'll update the misc page with the kitbashed ships at some point - I was avoiding adding them in the hope that they didn't really exist [Wink]

You sent me an image of an Abbe didn't you? Sorry I didn't reply. I dsecided that the image isn't as nice as the one I've got on the site at the moment so I decided not to use it, sorry.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pytheas is obviously another variation on the popular Declaration (http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/declaration/declaration.htm) and Ranger (http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/early.html#ranger) theme.

Any chance of scanning the silhouettes from the chart? It's one I'm missing from my collection.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

capped
Member # 709

Ooh hi.. you are closer than i thought.. i see some of the pages are quite recently updated.

There is a chance of me scanning the images, but i have to wait until i trek up to my fathers house and get the chart (Omi and Opa wont let me hang posters in my room here).

BTW, the most puzzling of the ships are the ones that i have no idea what the structure is for, such as one (forgot the name) which is about 200m high and 80m long. I cant really get any more research done until i have the chart.

The chart is nice too, as it lists the NCCS of every ship of the assorted classes that are active in (SotSF reckoning year) 2290.

--------------------

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That particular chart drove me up the wall for about a year and a half, trying to find source materials with more detail than the silhouettes for some of the ships. The bee in my bonnet turned out to be the engine on the Cochise, Cygnus, and Amerind classes (the one SoSF calls the PB-76). I finally had to do my own version, although I make no claims to its ultimate accuracy. And before you ask, no, I can't send you a picture of it; I don't have a scanner. I'm currently putting together a package to send to shipschematics.net. It'll have Cochise and Cygnus, as well as my take on Pytheas (I reverse engineered an earlier version of it as well). I also did a twenty page development package of the Ptolemy class, and I'm currently working on my version of a TOS precursor to Soyuz, the Vostok. Since I don't have a scanner, I've got to photocopy my stuff and send it by snailmail, so be patient, friends.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

The Advanced Circumferential Warp Engine? Yeah I've always wondered what one of them really looked like. The version shown on, for example,
http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/destroyer_cochise.jpg
has never seemed 100% convincing.

Hmm, I wish that shipschematics.net had a backwards lookup for the bibliography, so you could go to a bibliography entry and see all the ships from that source. Sure make it easier to find all FASA ships or, in this case, all Federation Starship Recognition Chart ships.

--------------------

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

Ooooo anoying. I take it that this is a very small scan of the chart in question:

http://home.catv.ne.jp/nn/imustak/st/toy/pict/poster.jpg

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

My best takes on the Amerind and Cygnus:

[ March 26, 2002, 09:35: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

and my new take on the Detroyat:

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps