Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Non-Canon Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Non-Canon Question
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*jawdrop* That's you, Steve? *checks profile* Huh... I'll be damned. Hi.

--Jonah

P.S. I never realized -- your birthday is two days before mine.

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the Cygnus supposed to have a full saucer instead of a pie-wedge one? What CaptainMike has there seems to be Cochise (above) and Amerind (below).

I must say, BTW, that I love the idea that the Cochises would have to sacrifice the ventral sensor array for the torpedoes, and the Amerinds would have to do vice versa. If it were possible to have both aboard such a small vessel, then why the hell did Starfleet bother with building bigger ships at all?

That ACE interpretation looks nice, but I suggest blue for the deflector/ramscoop thing in front... And at least some reshaping of the aft end to make it distinct from the LN-64.

As for the Detroyats, all we really have is a side view. Modelers tend to extrapolate a boxy secondary hull out of that, but what if you made it into a sleek, rounded keel shape? And it's nice to have a saucer that isn't a mere Constitution kitbash. TNG has shown that not all Starfleet saucers of a given era are identically shaped (even though the Wolf 359 and DS9 kitbashes suggest that there is SOME merit to the theory that TOS-era ships were made mostly of rearranged standard components...).

Still, perhaps the Detroyat could use one of those old "The Cage" style high-domed bridge modules planted atop the flat saucer mesa...

Timo Saloniemi

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
As for the Detroyats, all we really have is a side view.

Not true. There's a front view on one of the Todd Guenther/Starstation Aurora posters, um let me look up which one. Ah yes, the Avenger Class Evolution Sheet. Shows front and side views of the four classes that led to the Avenger class (Ptolemy, Detroyat, Surya, Coventry). I would assume that's where all those modellers and shipschematics.net got the front view they show.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
*jawdrop* That's you, Steve? *checks profile* Huh... I'll be damned. Hi

Who else do you think would understand you TOS registry shenanigans so quickly? [Razz]

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the packet of prints I have for the Detroyat has top, bottom, side, bow, and stern views, as well as a cutaway. It also lists the status of the class members (with the interesting little tidbit that one of them, Niantic, encountered Constellation three weeks before "The Doomsday Machine" and was never heard from again).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the provenance of these plans, and how hard are they to come by these days? I was too young to have enough money to buy everything back in the 80s, and in having to pick and choose, I missed out on a lot. I've since filled in some gaps with works like the Spaceflight Chronology that have been out of print forever, but the posters and plans are annoyingly hard to come by...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish i could take my paycheck and go back in time to when these schematics were plentiful.. i remember being at a convention when i was 9 and having my father tell me i could spend $10 and flipping through copies of SotSF 1 and 2, Prototype, Dynamics, Spaceflight Chronology and all the blueprint packages in envelopes. Nowaday, new fandom work is easier to come by.. i just printed out the Adobe PDF files of the new TNG era SotSF that Rosenzweig did, and the Dockyard Review Magazines too at http://www.asdb.net/asdb/pubs/

Used bookstores are a dream come true, thats where i found a lot of my Star Fleet Battles stuff thats been entertaining me lately..

BTW, the Detroyat has a boxy deflector housing.. check the front view at http://www.shipschematics.net .

ooh.. just got the Niantic entry in the galactopedia.. fun stuff..

[ March 28, 2002, 09:32: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the provenance of the Detroyat plans, the copy I have is copyright 1981 by Michael Morrissette. Its listed as being distributed by:

Starstation Aurora
P.O. Box 750
Holyoke, MA 01041

The plans also list Todd Guenther as a consultant. As to how likely you are to be able to find a copy, who knows?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps