Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ "Acquisition" Tech Funnies! [Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Acquisition" Tech Funnies! [Spoilers]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about those Ferengi rifles, they looked like the Voyager compression rifles minus the bayonet. I really can't believe that the dog was shoved inside that box container like that, where was the SPCA when this was filmed? I also noticed that the hypospray that Trip used to wake T'Pol up looks like an engineering tool from Voyager.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One small set detail that I liked was in the docking collar or whatever. The docking hatch to the Ferengi vessel wasn't an exact match to the Enterprise's and it even looked to be slightly offset. I just thought that was a nice detail.

Also, I think I liked the whip. Hmm, maybe I need to think about exactly how I elaborate on this sentence. I thought it was used effectively and in an interesting way (as opposed to TNG's implementation).

I thought there was much that was implausible, but I did enjoy the line: "I can't lock onto it's language.", far more than I expected.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, I loved this episode! This has got to be one of my very favorites we've seen so far. I can't see why you guys wouldn't like it. It had the same sort of feeling as TOS "The Trouble With Tribbles." (You know, when the situation their in is actually fairly serious, but the whole scenario is handled with a sort of tongue-in-cheek humor.)

Excellent, excellent! And I'm pleased to find that I didn't mind their use of Ferengi at all...just as long as they don't become recurring characters. (One encounter without "discovering" their identity is one thing, it would be a little hard to swallow if we saw repeats of that... [Roll Eyes] )

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like how they treated the Ferengi, honestly. We got a "DS9" look at them, especially the tag when they were all chained up and the one guy was laughing at them. We shouldn't have had that at all. Everything should have been MUCH more mysterious about it ... the execution sort of had that whole "Hi! Look at the Ferengi! Since we know them from TNG and DS9, we're not going to treat them as we otherwise might HAH!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see Archer's report to Starfleet now:

Archer: "We've just encountered a potentially hostile species."

Admiral Forrest: "Alright, what are they called?"

Archer: "You know, with all that happened, I simply forgot to ask them. It's a real shame too, because the Universal Translator translated their language into perfect English just fine. Boy, am I stupid."

Admiral Forrest: "Ok, well I assume you've got them in the brig and are headed for the nearest Starbase to drop them off for interrogation & study."

Archer: "Uh, no, I actually decided to just let them go on their way."

Admiral Forrest: "So you didn't even take scans of their ship to determine if their warp drive was superior to ours, so that we could duplicate it?"

Archer: *(scratches his head)*

Admiral Forrest: "Johnny, if you keep fucking up like this, I'm just going to have to erase all your logs & records so that nobody remembers Enterprise for the next 200 years..."

[ March 28, 2002, 09:43: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I could care less about the Ferengi being mysterious in the beginning of TNG. First off, I don't don't remember they having said anything about their name of the species. Second, it was funny. Some of you guys just make me wonder if the only reason to watch Trek is to complain what went wrong.

Please,should enjoy the episodes and try to ignore what is wrong. I do that all the time when I watch shows and then only then when I watch it a second time I look for the screwups.

This episode was meant to be mildly funny. Sure it'll be fine if we have 178+ serious episodes with no funny parts whatsoever for 7 seasons. But seriously that is extremely boring.

I really don not see where this episode is boring to some of you.

[ March 28, 2002, 09:38: Message edited by: Matrix ]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Matrix, that's why we have this Forum. It's here so that we can discuss how we feel about what we saw. People have a legitimate right to say that they don't like it just as much as you have a right to say how wonderful you think it is.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any images of the Ferengi ship? Was it distinctly Ferengi, or just brown? Did it have prongs? Did the Ferengi have their headgear?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

No. No. Yes. No.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Was it distinctly Ferengi, or just brown?"

No.

Huh?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He meant "yes" ...
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

[Razz]

It didn't look like any Ferengi ship we've seen so far, but it did have very small prongs in the front. It was a darker brown color than previously seen Ferengi ships.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was quite distinctly Ferengi. And, BTW, it was the FERENGI's universal translator that did the translating.

What do you guys want? That's what the Ferengi *are*. They're bumbling, greedy, and rather unintelligent. That's their character. Just like the Klingons are big, mean, angry warriors. Just like the Bajorans are deeply religious and resentful of Cardassians. Just like EVERY species on Trek, thay have their particular role. WTF is the problem?

Personally, I think it would've been wrong if they HAD shown us Ferengi acting in a way that didn't jibe with their other appearances.

And I wish people would stop bringing up the early TNG Ferengi. That whole thing was a fucking abortion. The Ferengi just couldn't hack it as some bloodthirsty nemesis of the Federation. FORGET IT.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never said it wonderful, all I said is that for some reason almost everyone either has no opinion about it/seen it or complains that it does not follow up to the norms for Trek. Here's the big question, in your own mind, you do not ahave to answer it, do you seriously think that after a few years of no Trek want to see another show regardless if it is Enterprise or even another Voyager. Or would you loose interest altogether?

Also Mighty Mim is correct, the Ferengi we see on Enterprise are the Ferengi of the 24th century. The early TNG Ferengi was supposed to be equivilant to the Borg. Except that they failed and now are the greedy and yes somewhat funny group that we see today.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, wait, they should have resembled the Ferengi from one appearance 210 years later more than the Ferengi from many appearances 215 years later?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps