Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Defiant (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Defiant
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Yamato. And the Relativity.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.. and the Excalibur.. and the Bozeman.. and the Stargazer.. and the Tubman..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excalibur?
Bozeman?
Stargazer?

Ahhh, we're entering the non-canon area! [Wink]

Allthough I think Peter David it the best Trek author, his first NF-novels were by far superior to the crap he produces at the moment. In other words: no, I don't believe the NCC-26biteme-A.

Bozeman? Aww, come one, you didn't even know if the ship was Norway or not. [Big Grin]

Stargazer? Which novel was that?

And what the hell is a Tubman? [Razz]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
The only ship to get the EXTRA SPECIAL designation of a suffix was the Enterprise ships.

Yeah but even the Star Trek Mag listed it as the Defiant-A. Surely they'd have checked this first in order to avoid a slagging by their readers . . . looks around dubiously. [Razz]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get you people. What's the difference here?

"I served aboard the Enterprise, NCC-1701."

"Which one?"

"The refit."

"I served aboard the Defiant, NX-74205."

"Which one?"

"The new one."

The only difference is that the Defiant was 100% destroyed during its "refit" into the new Defiant, whereas the TOS Enterprise was only 90% destroyed. The 10% won't make a difference in the analogy; in practice, it probably makes a lot more difference whether you served on the refit or the original Enterprise, whereas it really doesn't matter if you served on the old or the new Defiant.

The Sao Paulo was commissioned only a few months before it was renamed; it probably didn't even have a crew. It's not like anybody would miss it. If you want, you can imagine that Sisko salvaged a piece of bulkhead from the old Defiant and had it installed into the new one, to give it *something* of the old Defiant.

Sure, this isn't what we see too often, but it's a war, you want to keep the morale high with the symbolic gesture, and why not if it doesn't make a difference in practice? Starfleet has other ways of identifying the hulls (such as Rick Sternbach's IC-103 for Voyager, vs. IC-101 for Intrepid and IC-102 for Bellerophon).

What you're basically doing is taking Okuda's line/agreed tradition over onscreen evidence. Let's keep the canon order.

Boris

[ April 11, 2002, 13:28: Message edited by: Boris ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please... people take things that make sense over screen info anyway

Yamato: clear aired dialogue establishes 1305-E, fans prefer to abide by illegible background info.

Zhukov: Ship labeled Zuhkov 62136, fans prefer the correct Zhukov 26136.

and as for the registry, weve already had to disregard the Defiant's registry before, like when it was NCC-74210, or when many Defiants in one episode will be all labeled Defiant.

Just like no one believes all the Constitutions in The Ultimate Computer had the registry NCC-1701

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree with you, though I try my best to explain why its like that. But sometimes like having a half dozen E-nils gets hard.

On the other hand maybe we shouldn;t explain every single thing in the Trek universe??

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is because they did the time warp again.......
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
On the other hand maybe we shouldn;t explain every single thing in the Trek universe??

We can't anyways. Even if we solve one problem, the next episode of Enterprise could create 5 new ones.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to say something, but I changed my mind, since I realize that arguing about this is pointless. I thought we agreed on what's canon and what can be changed, but now I see how that depends entirely on personal impressions (i.e. the DS9TM can go because it doesn't look right, but the TNGTM can't because it does). That's not how I'm doing this.

[ April 12, 2002, 21:17: Message edited by: Boris ]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd personally like to see the new Defiant in a movie or something, sporting the NCC-75633 rego. Fact is, we all know that it only retained the old rego because the producers were lazy/idiots.

Boris, are we supposed to believe that the USS Majestic was destroyed in "SoA" and again in "WYLB"? There's more to canon than the show itself. It's called common sense.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Boris
Member # 713

But the thing is, you can prove that the Majestic wasn't destroyed twice because that's exactly the same footage, and the chance of the situation recurring with another ship that has the same name and registry from exactly the same camera angles is impossible. Same goes for shots of the Defiant docked at DS9, a lot of which are stock footage. You can actually prove that this is stock footage, by examining the shots frame by frame. Hence, the reality need not be exactly the same, although the stock footage still remains our best evidence.

On the other hand, the new shots of the Defiant model in WYLB aren't stock footage; there's no evidence for it -- hence, had they decided to change the registry, I would've drawn the intended conclusion (just as it can be shown that the Defiant didn't morph from stock footage into Fisher Model 1 during the shuttlebay scenes of the Sound of Her Voice).

It's not impossible that the new Defiant received the same name and registry, and I've given a reason why. It is possible to derive a registry system that is slightly more complicated but fits the show. I don't think it's that far-fetched to argue that the registry numbers are not 100% precise, and that other, more precise designations exist (such as Rick Sternbach's IC-103 etc. for the Intrepid class hulls in the Magazine). I've just read an article about U.S. Navy ship designations -- supposedly, you weren't supposed to name ships after living people, but the tradition has disappeared. Ships of the same class used to have related names, now they don't. Rules have changed for no real reason: politics, relaxed tradition, etc.

[ April 12, 2002, 22:00: Message edited by: Boris ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the new shots of the USS Defiant w/Purple Carpet in WYLB (there were what, 2? 3?) never have a viewable registry, while stock footage of the USS Defiant w/Grey Carpet (which we're supposed to believe is the Defiant w/Purple Carpet, too), most notably the banking-over-the-Galor-shot, have it.

[ April 12, 2002, 22:41: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nyerrrope. There's one very clear spot in the new footage where the registry clearly reads the old number. That's one of the big fusses about the whole argument.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since "WYLB" VFX had more stock footage than anything else, it hardly matters that the rego wasn't fixed for the new shots.

Side note: Voyager may be the lesser series (IMO), but at least "Endgame" had no blatant stock footage.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps