Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » *drrrooool* (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: *drrrooool*
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I didn't hate Q2...

...but there could have been a better farewell for Q.

Remember TNG.
[Frown]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More or less a ship should be able to plot the subspace topography of an area of space at least 20 light-years out in varying detail. However, the problem with this is you might be going down a narrow corridor for 50 light years and then all of the sudden it will end, and you have to go through normal or *gasp* *horror* you might have to start going up hill.

Astrometrics might have increased sensor resolution some, and helped predict the future subspace topography... but it would never be able to totally map out the route home. I would place my money on Starfleet sending out data from long range probes being of great help in "Message in a Bottle" I would also say that the Hirogen arrays would have helped if Seven could have hacked into their sensors. --- Trading with alien species that have been around before would have been helpful too.

It would have been really nice to be able to transport away teams to different planets using that long range transporter from one of the early season episodes [Seska, Torres, and Tuvok tried to steal it... can't remember the name of the ep though]. Those away teams could set up sensor arrays on those far off planets [even planets that are uninhabitable could be transported too from what I could gather about the technology].

Something else I don't get is why they didn't set up a communications relay on the furthest possible location [even if that was space]. It could be possible that a message sent from that location could reach Earth much sooner than "Message in a bottle."

Oh well, I'm digressing too much... I got my point across, no matter how much refitting to Voyager's system, I doubt they could make resolution better after 20 ly.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Ahem*

http://www.psiphi.org/cgi/upc-db/toc/0743437705.html

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*doubles drool*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps