Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Rules on designing ships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rules on designing ships
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I read something that ships must have pairs of nacelles, and not an odd number. In designing my own stuff, I'd like to know if this is true...

But, does that make the Freedom and 3 nacelled Enterprise non-canon or what?

------------------
Jeff Raven - Having more fun than any human being should be allowed to have

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think it really matters, but people have said that each nacelle has two warp coils...making them even.

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have put up a new page dealing exactly with this topic:

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/my_ships/design.htm

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it you need a left/right balance so that the ship is not torn apart by unequal forces on either side. 3 nacelles would be ok in this case, so would 2, but 1, well that's right out.

------------------
'Sir, you've been ordered not to take Polermo'

'Ring General HQ, ask them if they want me to give it back'.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except we have a canon instance of it.

I'm not quite sure what to make of these design "rules." For one thing, rules are made to be broken.

For another, Roddenberry had no problem with such nacelle placements when he approved of Franz Joseph's stuff. I've always wondered why the switch occured. Furthermore, are these design rules, or are they part of some general Starfleet guide for the artists that has since been blown out of proportion?

------------------
"It was sweet, like lead paint's sweet, but the aftereffects left me paralyzed."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for one thing, these rules were never stated on screen, so ignoring them isn't much of a problem, IMO. Also, I wonder if GR really cared about these rules, or if he simply made them up because someone asked him to, or something...

------------------
"I'm not stubborn. I'm just right."
-me

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether Roddenberry was correctly quoted or not, his design rules are useful hints to starship designers to make their ships look "treknologically correct". Actually, all Federation starships do comply with these rules (except for the Defiant and the Enterprise-B, not counting the Freedom and Niagara whose nacelle designs could not be seen on screen). Moreover, Rick Sternbach apparently had these rules (or something like them) in mind, when he wrote the TNGTM.

------------------
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer. (McCoy in "Devil in the Dark")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with the B?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Nebula and Sabre classes also break the rule about there being nothing in between the nacelles. In both cases a large portion of the space in between them is blocked by the ship's hull. The Sydney class as well, and the Raven I think. Not to mention many alien ships. So I think that rule at least is rubbish.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipmaster: I believe he was referring to the fact that the saucer blocks out a lot of the front of the nacelles.

------------------
"I'm not stubborn. I'm just right."
-me

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right. Well, that occurs on a LOT of other ships. Althoguh the Steamrunner had an interesting way of following it.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to believe that early treknology depended on its design to focus, and maintain a stable warpfield. By the 24th century artificial attempts at controlling warpfields had become advanced enough to manipulate one warpcoil into providing a sufficient warpfield for interstellar travel.

The rule was broken.
Somebody developed a better mouse trap.

Experiment credits

Constitution Class
Miranda Class
Oberth Class
Constellation Class
Excelsior Class

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wasn't the rule that about 50% of the nacelles had to be visible between each other - Thus what I reckon about those little 'window-esque' features on the underside - inner layer of the defiant - is structures that still allow this rule to be kept in place - i.e. about 50% of the bottom half of the Defiant nacelles would then be visible between each other

with such ships as the Saber/Sabre the nacelles bend down etc...

but just thinking about things. what about the Danube... - this surely breaks this rule, unless the Danube is in the field of larger shuttlecrafts than smaller starships

Andrew

------------------
"For flavor value, chocolate. But I prefer the Cult
of Curry." - Frank G, April 1999
"(strange mouth jerks)" - Krenim, April 1999

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

The E-B's Bussard collectors are not visible from the front.

The Sydney's nacelles are above the hull, the design is o.k.

The Defiant may have around 50% line of sight, while it is obviously less for the Nebula and Sabre.

The Raven is another ship violating the line of sight rule ship I forgot to mention, the same goes for the new scout ship and the holoship. Seems no one cares about this rule anymore.

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember correctly two nacelles form a warp bubble easier than three and a better one than just one.

------------------
I need help with getting a new sig. file, graduation, my girlfriend, my college junk. Ugh! I just need help.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps