Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Rules on designing ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rules on designing ships
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's just more effiicient, but not as fast.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

windwolf7
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to the nacelle placment i think from what I under stand of the warp feild structure is that the nacelles must simply create a stable central linear field so two always works weither
the placed high or low so does three and yes even
one will work if placed centrally

Now as for how much of the nacelle is visable from the front matter only for the use of the bussard collectors because the warp drive works by moveing high speed plasma in the nacelles to generate the warp field and dont need the bussards.

the bussard collectors are an emergency device used to collect hydrogen to generate power or collect dust( note deflector must be set to allow dust through) as in the case of insurrection
they are placed on the front of the nacelles because it is the easiest place to generate the magneted collection scoop. however become unusable at warp due to the deflector and the warp field

proof that the nacelles dont need to be visable is on the cardasian ships which use inbody nacelles to be more compact(DS9 Tech Manual)

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNGTM says the Bussard collectors are used at warp speed, and the particles are slowed down in order to allow their accumulation. Hydrogen atoms are not blocked by the warp field, but possibly by the deflector field.

Anyway, they have to be visible from the front.

windwolf7
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really It says there supossed to be used at warp.
thats weird. My understanding was the collectors were basiclly hydrogen ramjet engines named after the scientist who invented the concept. but acually if it wasnt just used in emergencies such as in insurrection, It think your right i think i remember seeing the diagram which apeared that
the warp field were shaped to direct the passing particles into the collectors.

thank you for clarifying

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there is something stated that the collection rate is only efficient at warp, considering the very thin particle density in interstellar space.
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you need to do is read some Larry Niven: "A World Out Of Time," "Tales Of Known Space." Bussard Ramjet technology features heavily in these and other stories and books. . . basically, it's assumed that the ship needs to be going above a certain speed in order for the EM fields which channel the hydrogen to collect efficiently. . . and maybe the speed that the fuel enters has an effect on the way the ramjet operates.

Of course, these aren't ramjets, but they still collect using the same principles that Bussard applied to the engine.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps