Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why would YOU join Starfleet? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why would YOU join Starfleet?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be the Enterprise-E's armory officer.
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highest cannon fleet number was the 10th fleet in "In the pale moonlight" the 9th is of course the fleet Martok commanded, the 2nd and 5th were mentioned in "Sacrifce of angels" with one of them being from the Vulcan(is?) front, the seventh was reduced to 14 ships in the Tyra system, and again destroyed trying to retake Betazed and was the fleet that the Destiny belonged to and which (presumbly) retook the Kalandra sector. I have heard mention of a 3rd fleet protecting Earth but I can't think of any epiosed in which it was said.

On a related question what was the highest Order number we heard of? The 11th? The highest jem'hadar unit was the fake 22nd (or was it 24) legion in "In the pale moonlight", any body know any others?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem to have misinterpreted the question, Wes1701E!

WHY would you join Starfleet? What role would you want?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd mostly join to meet new people and find out about things. Although the spector of Command would be very appealing, I wouldn't do well in the highly competitive arena of Starfleet. They'd initially track me for engineering, but when they found out that my math-blok starts at integral calculus, I'd have to find something else to do. I'd probably wind up working as an interface designer for the technologists (albeit with a secret burning contempt for the universalization of Starfleet culture that would drive me to insert little in-jokes (that only I would find funny) like ducks and things into their MSDs.) But what I'd really want to do is direct.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? Because I could.

What position? Ship's Librarian, of course.
"SHH! Or I'll STUN YOU!"

Ah, screw it. Give me a holodeck, a food replicator, and a reliable power source, and you can lock me in. I'll never leave.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The specter of command? Is that the ghost of Jim Kirk, or something?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Starfleet, yes, you can scrub some plasma valves.
In the Starfleet, yes, you can put your phaser to stun.
In the Starfleet, come on now people, raise those shields.
In the Starfleet, where everyone wears skintight suits.
In the Starfleet, come on, please don't wear red.
In the Starfleet, come on and shoot those Klingons, man.
In the Starfleet, come on, please talk technobabble.
In the Starfleet, in the Starfleet.

In the Starfleet...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one time at star camp...
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
harry, is that yo or are you quoting something i should recognize.. i love it, man

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Harry's doing a spoof of The Village People's "In the Navy".

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why isnt my name in bold up there!?

yeah, i wrote that as i got home after working all night.. i would have recognized that, but such subtleties are obviously lost on my before i sleep for the first time in a week... still, i love it.. we should record it!

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
why isnt my name in bold up there!?
Wha? *Your* name? *My* name is not in bold up there.

And yes, it's "In The Starfleet" by "The Village People". And don't forget their other great hit "ASDB".

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another, related, question is why would you (or anyone) STAY in Star Fleet after the DW?

I mean from a "certain viewpoint" they *started* the war by sticking their nose in the wormhole even when asked to stop. Sent large numbers to their deaths in ancient Miranda's and generally didn't fight all that well.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

capped
Member # 709

all the same reasons people joined the army even after vietnam, a messy, deadly conflict with few answers as to why to whole deal happened... joining the army is usually a personal choice taken for a number of reasons.. while after disturbing conflicts, many types of people would shy away, theres still a large number who will continue to take part.. look at history

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Sent large numbers to their deaths in ancient Miranda's and generally didn't fight all that well.
They won. That tends to override other historical concerns.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps