Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » KBoP Warp Drive (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: KBoP Warp Drive
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw in another thread someone say something about the Klingon Bird of Prey having one nacelle mounted inboard.

Where does that information come from?

I've always assumed, based on the small, flat nacelles of the D-7 and K't'inga, that the *wings* of a BoP were the nacelles. Granted, the wings are amazingly thin for the purpose, but I don't think it is outside the bounds of possibility. It also gives those silly wings something more to do, freeing up the precious internal space a Bird-of-Prey would otherwise lack.

Comments?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an Okudagram somewhere that showed about eight or so warp coils mounted down the centreline of the BoP, with the big glowy thing(tm) at the middle of the back of the ship lining up with the end of the coils.

[ June 04, 2002, 23:58: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh . . . okay, I guess the humpbacks were in the warp coil plasma stream. :-)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought that those grilles on the back of the dorsal side were the warp field grilles and that two sets of warp field coils were to be found undernth.

The wings are not nacelles, they are some type of disruptor or other energy weapon.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant the wings themselves, not just the tips.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wings don't glow at all, so I'll have to go with the glowy red thing in the tail of a BoP. [Big Grin]

'Cause, you know, those silly warp nacelles have a tendency to glow. Not always, but often enough.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really is weird, so the biggest part of the ship is now dominated by a warp nacelle.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nacelles only glow if there's some sort of window to let the light out.
NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can find the picture here:

http://members.aol.com/artbraune/bop-ds9-sm.gif

Think I got it out of the Making of DS9 book?

Later!
Art

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If all that is occupied by coils, were is the quarters or the space where they kept the whales?
IP: Logged
NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has always been my thought that each of the bumps was an inboard warp nacelle and the space between and below them was cargo, engineering, and crew quarters...

Later!
Art

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I thought too.
What book was that from again and who wrote it?

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an Okudagram (probably from "Blood Oath") reproduced in The Making of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens.

I have a fuzzy memory of a colour one (but rotated 90 degrees) with the coils in a similar place somewhere else. Probably not the Encyclopedia, seeing as nobody has seemed to recall that yet. Odd.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible the warp core is built into the very bottom of the BoP, kinda like how the warpcore of a Runabout is built into the very top. This would leave room for the crew and whales.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "five coils in single row" Okudagram was first seen in DS9 "Blood Oath", so it's sort of canon. It would seem to apply at least to the "DS9 size" of KBoPs, like the Rotarran or the one Dukat appropriated, in case you believe in differently sized BoPs. It's a bit difficult to claim that the whale-carrying version was as big as the Rotarran, or that the Rotarran was as small as the whale carrier... But doable, I guess.

I'd suggest placing those warp coils atop the hull and not at the bottom - it did seem that the whale holds were at the bottom part of the ship, even if the exterior did not have a visible set of doors there. There's this round thingamabob there at least which could be some sort of a door. And the exit ramp for personnel, seen in ST3, probably is hidden there as well.

I have no objection to devoting basically ALL of the aft hull to machinery and support systems. It is only logical to have different sections of the ship serve different purposes. All habitat functions could well be centered in the forward pod, for example. We never saw any extensive crew quarters aboard the tiny ST3/4 BoP, and the bigger TNG/DS9 BoPs were usually so big that all those ladderways and transporter rooms and crew quarters and whatnot could easily be located in the pod.

And it is Federation softness to think that the largest part of the ship should be accessible to the crew. Surely crew comfort would not be a priority for Klingons. Indeed, religious reasons might dictate that the crew quarters be deliberately cramped and uncomfortable.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps