Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Industrial Replicators onboard starships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Industrial Replicators onboard starships
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've wondered after that episode where Seven created a holographic life for herself and a crew quarters if Voyager and other Federation starships have industrial replicators onboard. Large items such as furniture can't exactly be made with the ones available in the quarters unless you get them in an Ikea put together box.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We see in TNG "The Wounded" that there are places where people go to replicate stuff, using table (well, nightstand) sized replicators. For all we know, there's just such a dedicated replication room for larger objects on many starships, with variously-sized replicators for non-biomatter type objects. It may even be a sort of gift shop or PX store, with a dedicated interface for more exotic items like crystal birds or stuffed animals...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea how Seven's holographic quarters have anything to do with this, but I think "industrial replicator" probably refers to something capable of making things a bit heftier than a couch: my guess would be they can do some pretty large stuff (I picture them zipping backwards and forwards like a flatbed scanner) but more importantly do it in steps, so that some pretty complex things can be made. Considering that a half-dozen or so (can't remember the episode) was enough to help in the reconstruction of an entire planet's infrastructure, they're probably a bit too valuable to be on every scutty little ship in the fleet. Maybe not even a Galaxy.

That said, a "replication centre" was referenced onboard the E-D in both TNG and the TNGTM, and so it's quite likely that couches and the like get zapped into existence in several oversized replicators buried in the bowels of all Federation ships. Fitting them in the turbolifts would be the next problem. [Wink]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Industrial" replicators may also be able to handle items of a greater complexity, or something along similar lines.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some classifications could be:

domestic replicator = home use "tea, Earl Grey, Hot"

bulk replicator = larger volume(size) items, couch, non-technical material like struts, shuttle hull sheeting, etc.

technical replicator = technobabble parts for engineering and medical, etc.

industrial replicator = mass production of goods and equipment/parts, sort of Ford motor company in a box.

Of the above we'd likely need at the top first three to replicate what we see on the screen.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that all the quarters about most of the starships we've seen seem to furnished whether they're being used or not. This seems to be a huge waste of resources as well as unecessary mass added to the ship.

Now, it's entirely possible that only several guest quarters are kept fully furnished and others are simply thrown together by the ship's Interior Decoration Officer (he wears a purple unifrom with a scarf) when they know they will be used.

Either way, I'd say that most every ship has at least one larger scale replicator, but it would likely be limited to simple, non-technical things, at least without higher clearance.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Interior Decoration Officer (he wears a purple unifrom with a scarf)
Yes I heard they were starting a new book series.

Star Trek : S.D.C.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starring Christopher Lowell?

An episode of "Trading Spaces" aboard a starship...

"The crews of the Starships Harare & Godsfire have agreed to take the day & redo the other's residential areas!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love that show ...

Mark, YOU'RE WRONG! I think you're thinking of Data's Day, when Worf & Data are trying to select presents for Keiko & O'Brien's wedding. [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grokca:
[QB][QUOTE]Interior Decoration Officer (he wears a purple unifrom with a scarf)

Worf: "I want the internal security sensor cluster *here*."

IDC : "Oh, thilly, that would ruin the fabulouth lighting effect I made for the . . . "

(Whine of a phaser on level 10)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, for that situation, Worf would prefer a bladed weapon of some kind [Smile]

What's S.D.C., Grocka? I'm just woefully behind on my terminology.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet Decorating Corp.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snay:
I love that show ...

Mark, YOU'RE WRONG! I think you're thinking of Data's Day, when Worf & Data are trying to select presents for Keiko & O'Brien's wedding. [Big Grin]

Oh yeah... "The Wounded" was right after that. Duh..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Gotcha.

It could be told in the manner of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" with the Decorating Corp. stories taking place in and around several key events from the series.

Every once in a while, they'd bump into Picard or Troi, but mostly they'd be off doing their own thing [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I was also wondering how Voyager was able to replicate so many shuttle parts over the years. Perhaps they recycled the furniture that dead crew members left behind? But in that episode with Seven's holographic quarters, that place was spartan with only a bed and apparently counters for cooking. So perhaps the crew quarters are kept empty til they are filled, at least when it came to Voyager. I do remember hearing several times before on the show someone saying prepare quarters for so and so.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps