Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Industrial Replicators onboard starships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Industrial Replicators onboard starships
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we're talking about holographic quarters...it was probably on the holodeck, there, duder.

Are you talking about the episode where she makes out with a holographic Chakotay to get some practice?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Ok, I was also wondering how Voyager was able to replicate so many shuttle parts over the years.

Shuttle parts? They replicated entire shuttles, from the looks of things. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trading Spaces is a 2 day event, according to my wife, that has the show blatting in my ear often....

The back wall of my 'office' is the entertainment center, so I hear all the home & garden TV shows...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Seven's "quarters" were actually on the holodeck, so furnishing them was no problem for Seven.

The problem is, Seven probably created this fake with the supposition that it would also be doable in real life. Then again, we can naturally argue that she tickmarked every holo-character template at the box that says "Character will ignore certain blatant conflicts with reality without as much as a shrug"...

I doubt that starship furniture is really replicated, though. Just because the replicator exists doesn't mean it should be used for everything. (Similarly, just because the bridge is a detachable module doesn't mean that whenever the coffee mug holder on the Captain's armrest is changed, we should yell "a new module!") Even comfy couches can be collapsible, perhaps stored in quantity in some cargo hold.

Or then every room is in fact pre-furnished. It need not be wasteful - it's just a point-of-view issue. It would be more wasteful to leave them undecorated if the energy and materials for decorating them had to be taken away from a pool of vital shipboard resources.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall the Delta Flyer being constructed with many replicated parts, when Tom summed up the project to get it cleared with the Captain. Of course they must have heavy-duty replicators.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
That said, a "replication centre" was referenced onboard the E-D in both TNG and the TNGTM,

Well, I believe starships do have heavy replicators, seeing as how Voyager was able to replace all of the shuttles Chakotay crashed. At the end of the TNG episode "Phantasms", Geordi tells Picard that He could replicate a new plasma conduit (a big conduit). As for the point about the replicators being mentioned in the TNG TM, I can now look it up in my new copy. [Cool]

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
plus we could always go back and watch the episode where they visited the replication center.

or would that be too easy?

In 'Data's Day' (speaking from memory) Data and Worf were in a replicator room that had a few stations trying to pick a wedding gift for the O'Briens. While they had their discussion, i believe that in the background an officer came in with his family and a child walked up to the selector and picked a large teddy bear or some shit, then hugged daddy thankfully when it appeared and left. When Data was flipping through the screens of things he could replicate for a gift, i believe one of the options was a molded glass swan looking gravy boat type thing.

I remember all this from a TNG ep i havent seen in eight years, but i cant really work through my German vocab exams for info i learned two months ago. Go fig...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, CaptainMike, "Data's Day" has already been mentioned, repeatedly.

Why does everything have to be replicated? Can't there be a machine shop somewhere on the Enterprise just for replacing components? I mean, replicating every single thing is rather power intensive. You can probably save a lot of energy by machining the parts you need, though it'd take a lot longer than a commercial break.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure they *have* a machine shop for making just about everything the old fashioned way. Rick Sternbach has posited that there are certain components of things which must be precision made and machined, such as shuttle warp cores and coils, in order to be customized to certain other things, such as shuttle physical parameters (anyone who's assembled lawn furniture knows that no two chairs are assembled exactly alike).

Logically, the more complex a meterial is, the more energy it would take to replicate, to the point that really complex stuff like warp components and latinum simply can't be replicated on a practical level. There probably is a physical limit to the size of some objects being manufactured, too; we've never seen people replicate stuff any larger than what can be manhandled.

And finally, remember that replication of most (if not all) materials involves the re-organization of matter that's already existing - we know that food replicators on staships utilize vats of stuff from which food is synthesized, and into which waste is converted to for re-use. Even if you could easily replicate stuff at the quantum level, it would probably be less energy-intensive to rearrange proteins than quarks to create your salisbury steak. This same principle could be applied to metals for construction.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did remember reading that the Enterprise-D stored items that the replicator couldn't make due to the difficulty of recreating them. But I'm really talking about stuff that wouldn't be complicated like seats for a shuttle or Captain Janeway's book collection. Going back to what I first posted on this thread... if starship quarters are generally empty, then the furniture in it would be replicated. If not, well just add what looks good. But now, power consumption plays into how practical it is to have replicators make everything. From watching Voyager all 7 years, it seems like replicators are as practical as buying stuff online.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

From watching VOY for all 7 years, one would come to believe all sorts of silly things.

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my schematic/deckplans for various 24th century ships, I've assumed at least one heavy-duty replicator in each ship - logically in the shuttle storage/repair bay (so said craft could be repaired or replaced).

Regarding moving couches - consider this:

- After a couch has been replicated in the shuttle repair bay, it could be point-to-point transported to the destination quarters, using the small replicator waveguides within the starship's structure to transfer the pattern, and the small replicator within said quarters as a waveguide endpoint/focussing coil. As I've said before, a replicator system is just a transporter system with a hard drive containing pre-stored patterns. The closest analogy is a copier/printer vs a fax machine.

I'd think that most quarters were pre-furnished - especially in small ships. Larger ones such as Galaxy-class and Sovereign-class have entire decks which are simply bulkheads and service ends - so they can be quickly refitted to meet special species/event needs (Tech Manual).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and regarding Industrial Fabricators - the size of the finished product (in mass and dimensions) would be only one limiting factor in how a few of them could radically improve a planet's economy.

More important would be the templated patterns already loaded into the systems memory. Such things as medicines, vehicles (or parts/engines for same), power systems (components for mid-sized fusion generators which could then be relocated across the planet and assembled to power communities), communications systems, medical equipment (biobeds).

Size-wize, I'd think a materialization 'stage' about 4 meters cubed would be sufficient - with a mass capacity of about 3 tons. Some stored components might be sized on the order of a 20th century minivan - and that is the largest easily relocated component size - fits into a cargo ship.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Industrial replicaters are carried aboard support vessels; ought to be enough room on a stripped down Miranda. That way replacements could be replicated to order and the repair ship wouldn't have to return to dock to restock as often.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Treknophyle
Member # 509

What a good idea!

The enormous hangar bays could each accomodate one of these large machines - and the stripped-out decks could hold raw materials cubage (trititanium, dilithium, etc.), powerplants, and computer pattern storage.

Plus they'd need quarters for the construction engineers, and small hangar space for workbees.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps