Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » steamrunner class. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: steamrunner class.
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok firstly i know this is starting to sound like 20 questions but theres just so much i need to know.

i love the steamrunner class. so im trying to build a guide to the class. its just that info is very thin on the ground, so to speak, and i was just hoping you guys could help.any info would rule but theres two things i need to know more than anything else. the number of decks and crew.

i have worked out that the ship has 88 escape pods. if each pod can hold 5 people then that works out at about 440 crew. thoughts? the rest i dont know. thanks in advance.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

That and a primer on capital letters and when to use them and you are set.

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah, punctuation and capital letters will save ya from a lot of trouble here. We like to dismember and eat newbies and to make rude burping noises while we're at it.

The Steamrunner is in all likelihood about 350 meters long, even though in some scenes she looks almost Akira-sized (and the Akira is easier to nail down at about 440 meters, thanks to the clearly laid out patterns of windows). The deck count on the sparsely windowed Steamrunner is difficult, but something like ten decks sounds likely.

The ship has only three relatively short visible phaser emitters, all on the forward dorsal surface, plus one invisible emitter firing from below the bow (we see the beam emerging from there in "First Contact"). The ship has no visually identifiable torpedo launchers, and has never been seen firing a torpedo. All this suggests the ship isn't primarily intended for ship-to-ship combat of the usual Trek kind. The ship thus might carry a special weapon of some sort, to compensate for the lack of conventional weaponry. (In any case, she isn't a civilian wuss, since she is often seen in combat, and never seen in non-combat roles.)

The ship has a gigantic shuttlebay door aft of the forward hull, plus two relatively large forward doors in the bow cutout. Perhaps she is a shuttlecarrier of some sort? She has generally only been seen in those big assault fleets of DS9, so a planetary assault role might be possible. Heck, the aft end of the forward hull is even shaped like a gigantic ramp along which tanks could roll down to the surface if the ship happened to land (although this would probably require jettisoning the engineering hull and the nacelles somehow!).

The large number of lifepods might reflect a large complement of troops carried aboard instead of a large operating crew. The unconventional shape and the gigantic engines might suggest high speed, or alternately heavy loads. But since we've never seen the type at warp, or even operating solo, we know nothing about her peformance, save for the fact that she can keep up with those Miranda class antiquities.

The registry numbers in the 54000 range would fall just below the earliest "Galaxy-type" registries (like those of the New Orleans class ships), and furthermore might suggest the 2340s as the launch date (assuming the registries are chronological and proceed more or less evenly, which is a rather bold assumption).

Timo Saloniemi

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever tried this? I found the page recently.

http://techspecs.acalltoduty.com/steamrunner.html

[ June 14, 2002, 05:44: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that' what I call detailed ! I'm doing a conjectural hisory of the class (one of my favourites) at the moment, should have it finished in a couple of days.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh, gods BLESS 'em, they named a New Orleans after Don Johnson.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Ohhh, gods BLESS 'em, they named a New Orleans after Don Johnson.

Funny you noticed it, because that's exactly what I thought when I saw it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shining star of my collection.

[ June 14, 2002, 10:45: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought about doing a conjectural about the upgrading of the Lakota, assuming that she wasn't one of a kind but meant to serve as a testbed for future Excelsior upgrades.

Thankfully laziness struck me down once more.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually "Don Johnson" was the name of a person who ran one of the ships [a New Orleans Class.. I think it was originally named Cherokee]. We called them AGMs then, they're SMs now... don't ask me what it means, I can't remember.

--- BTW, you're speaking to a member of the techspecs development team and a player in that game--- I would gladly pass along critics, appropriate ones.

[ June 14, 2002, 14:14: Message edited by: J ]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Why doesn't your team promote the page? I found it 'by accident', but it's really impressive. How long did it take to write all this?

--------------------

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. Now I have to be as good as them with my non-canon ones. It's hard enough making the specs half as good as DITL! I need to find some employees.
IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only wish that they'd have actual bridge / location sketches rather than that comprehensive text description. They seem to have some nifty ideas, but I can't wrap my head around where they actually want to put certain stations and accessways.

I wanna sketch..!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That site called "Call to Duty" is damn good. Tomorrow I will read some of the stuff they have.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, well u'd expect that detail for a RPG thing wouldnt u? but kudos for the writers, too bad we didnt get sketches as well.
I know how u feel Mr Nguyen

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps