Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Runabouts during the Dominion occupation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Runabouts during the Dominion occupation
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Sisko-197 program was basically a EMP pulse, then anything that involves computer systems will be damaged or destroyed. But anything like mechanical would not be affected. Just all the systems connected to it, so when a Tactical officer presses a button it works.

All the Super-Duper-Quadruple-Duper Weapons will still be there, just all the systems that make them work, will not.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the Sisko-197 program was basically a EMP pulse, then anything that involves computer systems will be damaged or destroyed. But anything like mechanical would not be affected. Just all the systems connected to it, so when a Tactical officer presses a button it works.
Could you by chance make any less sense?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, when he go Sisko 197, the big thing in space went boom and the glowy thingies when sparky, and it broke. But it was a nukie emp boomy thingy that went boom so things that round and side to side, and up and down, don't go boom.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But don't you need hardware and dedicated subsystems to create an EM pulse? My belief is that the Sisko program caused a variety of things to happen that would in fact make things WORSE than when the Cardassians left the station the first time.

When a starship self-destructs, fandom holds it that you can either release the seals on the antimatter storage bottles and instantly vaporize the ship, or do a variety of other things. These include demolition charges, overloading phaser arrays, computer cores, and anything else with a charge in it, venting atmosphere, etc.

I believe that Sisko-197 caused a lot of the latter to happen. Matrix's idea is basically like leaving a car to your bully neighbor but taking away the keys; your neighbor has the car, but can't do anything with it that he'd find really useful. If you really didn't want your neighbor to be able to use your car while you're away, you'd not only have the keys melted down, but you'd remove the CD player, empty out the gas tank, and smash the dashboard. It could all be repaired eventually, but it'd really cost alot and piss your neighbor off while you're at it.

So I think Sisko-197 accomplished all of that, without needing an EMP device. Removing the regulator taps on the phaser arrays would cause them to overload and explode. Ditto for the launch mechanisms on the torpedo launchers, shield generators, and computer core. At the same time, the computer program would have left certain critical systems intact, or at least easily repairable - stuff like the lights and backup life support system would be working. An EMP device (or something like what Matrix is suggesting) would not be so discriminating. We just didn't see certain things blow up because it would have been very expensive to show - note that following the departure of the Defiant and Rotarran, there were no exterior shots of the station. For all we know, when Dukat's ship docked, DS9 didn't look so hot.

I realize that some people just want to believe that DS9 still has its super duper weapons array. But from a practical standpoint, I really don't think it survived "Call to Arms", and whatever weapons it had afterwards just weren't the same.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Exactly, a term I was going for was destroyig the dashboard, and steering wheel. That's what I meant with the EMP pulse. It would destroy everything that made it work, but the actual mechanical parts would be left untouched.

The Sisko-197 program would destroy everything useful including the mechanical parts. So it would be destroying the dashboard, steering wheel, tires, brakes, gas tank, engine, and so on just leaving the body of the car.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..Which was the point, no?

When Dukat walked into the promenade, the only things working were the (emergency?) lights and the gravity. The doors didn't work, there were exploded pipes and conduits everywhere, and all the monitors and control surfaces were smashed or otherwise not working. In Sisko's office, he'd bothered to pack everything up except his baseball, and even take away his Starfleet desktop display thingy. In the next episode, we see that Dukat had replaced it with a Cardassian display.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... an electromagnetic pulse on the scale that you're suggesting -- powerful enough to cause explosions in certain bits of hardware and so on -- would also be very likely to fry every living being on board. EMP has some rather nasty effects on living tissue... Let's just say that Kira, Quark, Rom, Jake, Odo, Morn, and everyone else wouldn't last long enough to welcome Dukat and Weyoun onto the station.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm skeptical of that claim. DS9 is big, but it isn't that big. More to the point, you're going to be sending your pulse down the circuits where it will do the damage, not waste it propagating through air and bulkheads and outer space.

At any rate, it would probably have to be more complex than that anyway, as by the 24th century things like DS9 should hopefully be built out of bits hardened against your run of the mill electromagnetic pulse.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

I'm sure it's not your run of the mill EMP pulse. It's more like your Super-Duper EMP pulse that did it.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders what happens if you use an EMP pulse on an ATM machine*
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First...
"Super-Duper-Quadruple-Duper Weapons"?

then...
"Ok, when he go Sisko 197, the big thing in space went boom and the glowy thingies when sparky, and it broke. But it was a nukie emp boomy thingy that went boom so things that round and side to side, and up and down, don't go boom."

and finally...
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
I'm sure it's not your run of the mill EMP pulse. It's more like your Super-Duper EMP pulse that did it.

"Super duper EMP pulse"?

First of all, thats like saying the "DOS operating system", "PC computer", or the NSA agency.

Second of all, what is wrong with you?

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Yeah, I know I noticed it after I posted it, Electromagnetic pulse. So I am like saying Eletromagnetic pulse pulse.

As for the super duper quadruple duper, whatever it was a joke.

As for kiddie talk, apparently Snay never understands what I write anymore, so I write in kiddie talk so he can understand.

Edit: I just noticed I did throughout the whole topic. I keeping writing EMP pulse.

[ June 22, 2002, 12:41: Message edited by: Matrix ]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So I am like saying Eletromagnetic pulse pulse"

For a measure of Great Justice, right?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
apparently Snay never understands what I write anymore
I've never understood what you write. You leave key words out, you put words in funky order, and you often don't use punctuation. At least in "child talk" you're somewhat clear with what you're saying. "Adult talk" seems a bit over your typing capabilities.

quote:
"So I am like saying Eletromagnetic pulse pulse"
Now, see, the above is a good example of that.

"Duuude ... like cowabunga, like dude, totally bodacious maaaaan!"

[Roll Eyes]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix, what is your first language?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps