Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » There's something I promised a while back... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There's something I promised a while back...
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, not a promise to you but a promise to myself; "Get the damn ship done, boy!". So - here it is. The thing is extremely long, so I had to reduce the size. Of course, the original ship is more impressing with all the detail, so here - for the first time ever AFAIR - the tiny 56k-version and the huge DSL-version. Feel free to use it, as always of course. [Wink]

(What do you think of the lights? I think the container lights look good but I don't like the engine glow that much.)

Small version:
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/742/Yclass.jpg

Huuuge version (I'd guess about 600KB):
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/742/Yclassorig.jpg

Maybe I'm stupid, but can anyone tell me what exactly the glowing pods behind the nose section do? Some sort of hazardous materials containers?

[Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. My. God.

That's fucking fantastic, Alex! [Eek!]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.

I actually like the smaller one a bit better, as it makes the lines seem a bit softer and more "real." That's probably the one that you should send to Bernd for his database.

Of course, then you miss the whole "We Break for Battledroids" thing. [Smile]

I knew the front of that thing looked familiar... [Roll Eyes]

[ July 07, 2002, 18:23: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. [Smile]

And the Battledroids-joke - I you had seen the other ships' original sized files (Norway, Niagara and Medusa) you would have seen that everyone contains a small joke. I think these are the typical symptoms of Okudaitis. [Wink]

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You missed the THX-1138 reference too

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sa-WEET!

That thing rocks, man. The small version actually looks better, to me, anyway. It tightens everything up nicely.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Bernd asked for a modification; I'll add the 7th container at the rear end, opposite side of the schematic. Just to let everyone out there know that there are four containers each side (I left the last one out because you get a better view of the engine section this way).

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Here is the update; 3 versions (6, 7 and 8 containers). And don't ask where I got the top views at the right side from. Screenshot editing is much easier than drawing. [Wink] )

If you want the original sized file, it's way over 1MB. But besides a little label on the inside of the container ('Made in Taiwan') you wouldn't miss that much. I could try to upload, of course, but I guess the admins would get a heart attack or something. On the other hand, if you really want to see it, I can send it to someone who has unlimited (or nearly unlimited) webspace and traffic.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/742/SMFortunate678.jpg

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These enhanced schematics are very nice! The only suggestion I would make is that the "random" mottling is identical on all the cargo modules. The mottling doesn't seem to correspond to any physical structure of the modules, so should be different on each.
Amasov Prime
Member # 742

Thanks everyone!

Masao: That's one of the little things I'll probably update (I think I'm going to play a little bit with the graphics), but from the small versions you can't even tell that there are those markings. So I guess it's OK this way. But thanks for the suggestion. [Smile]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice work. What program are you useing?
You can clean up those spotlights a bit if you have access an illumination effects tool.
I've used PSP7 to give you a sample so that you can see what it can do. (the bit outlined in red)
 -
See how it looks more realistic?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

I use Micrografx usually. I have PSP 7, but I don't have much experience with it. I used to use one of the earlier versions, but it seems I should concider returning to Paint Shop or at least use the program for such effects. How did you add it?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used PSP7 for all of my various images and it serves me well enough.

To use the light feature, open your image and go to the menu via Effects>Illumination Effects>Lights.

You may have to fiddle around with the settings a bit before you get it right. I'll post an example when Flare upload decides to start working agian.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

I tried what you suggested. The effect looks cool, but I think I'll stay with Micrografx, at least for the primary painting. But I'll definitely use PSP for such effects for future images. Thanks for the suggestion and hint.

Here's my first test, an old image with and without spotlight effect.

-
 -

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Absolutley, stay with what you know [Wink]

It looks quite effective, dosen't it?

--------------------

Amasov Prime
Member # 742

A major question: What next?

I always wanted to draw a Soyuz, something that really looks old and dirty but with a Starfleet registry. [Smile]

But I'm open for suggestions. If anyone wants or needs anything special, please tell me. [Smile]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps